Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2001 age problems

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I'm looking at a 2001 Allegro Bus 37'. It has been well maintained and has just over 71K miles. Appearance wise it looks great. Should the age be an issue? What kind of problems am I looking at that are age related?
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
13 REPLIES 13

Bill-R
Explorer
Explorer
ask to see if the seller has maintenance records as to what has been done to coach
Bill Roop
1989 36'ft DP Executive

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Check underneath for rust!!...it is a Northeast unit and if used on salted roads it could be badly rusted! I bought a 13 yr old cimmarron and looked great walking around it. My mistake, the gas lines, brake lines, transmission fluid cooler line, gas tank, and frame were BAD!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it to a franchise engine and transmission shop and pay them to run an electronic check. 71K on DP ain't nothing.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you start with a high initial quality coach, you are ahead of the game. If the previous owner(s) have kept up with the preventative maintenance (and you have a paper trail of that) then you're looking at issues with life-limited components. TVs, water heaters, and the roof penetrations.

Don't worry too much about the 10 years rule at campgrounds. It' just a tool they use to keep the riff-raff out.

I have an inspector friend in Portland. PM me if you want his contact info.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2001 Beaver coach 4 years ago. All the roof vent covers, ac covers, frig covers were old and had to be replaced. Tires need checking for date codes(7 years old need replacing) sooner if cracking is noticed. Frig recalls done?, make sure it works on ac and propane both. Leveling system working correctly?
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I probably would replace the tires right away without even looking at them...

Why would you not look at them first. They may be just months old!!!!! You would not know that without looking at them!

X2 :S
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
I think all things mentioned are good to look at but yes, check first. Have an inspection done if need be...it might cost a little but if you can do it before the sale it would be a good bargaining chip or tell you if you need to walk away.

If they took good care of outside there is a good chance mechanically as well. Original owner? If not how long have they owned?

I traded my truck in on my new class a and bought myself a 2004 suv with only 66k miles and 3 rows of brand new looking leather seats. I didn't replace everything on it....I examined what I could see and feel from drive, took it it shop to check and make sure safe while getting an oil change, and been driving perfect since. Seller had just put new brakes on it...why would I replace them?

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I probably would replace the tires right away without even looking at them...

Why would you not look at them first. They may be just months old!!!!! You would not know that without looking at them!

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 and check brake pads ,all hoses and belts need changed.

X2 plus add ALL (don't forget PS and rear end) and engine/driveline fluids to the list.Rubber parts and fluids cause most breakdowns
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 Phaeton. Great coach. You are getting a quality motor home. Tiffin has many features that are standard that others call upgrades. I listen to the problems that others have and think how lucky we are to own a Tiffin.
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 and check brake pads ,all hoses and belts need changed.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you are getting a loan it might be difficult at that age? did the underside get all salty during the winter in NH? or was it parked down in FL. what is the roof material?
bumpy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I probably would replace the tires right away without even looking at them... I would also update the converter/charger unit to a smart mode charger setup ...

As you may be aware some campgrounds have the ten year old thing in effect. Both my trailers are going to be hitting this shortly.. Actually my 2008 trailer is the only one on the road.. I plan to tell these folks it has been upgraded to a number they like to hear... My units look great all the time anyway - definitely not trailer trash appearance...

For me however if the campground has the old age trailer thing I don't think I would want to be there anyway haha... I don't know how to spell resorts...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS