cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
After many month and miles we have final found a nice RV and put down a deposit. It is the above couch. It is on a workhorse chassis with about 55K miles. We decide on it because it is in excellent condition. It looks almost brand new. It has full body paint with only 2 very minor wear spots. The interior looks brand new. If I didn't know better it could easily pass for a 2014. We have looked at over 100 other RVs (gas and diesel) and none hold a candle to this one. We spent many a weekend driving 2-4 hours to look at advertised (PERFECT CONDITIONED) rigs only to be disappointed with smells leaks and wear.

So,I have not been able to find much info on this year. Everything I have found for a brochure only goes back to 2005. If anyone knows a website I can go to please let me know.

What I have determined from the Vin.# (5B4MP67G743385392) is it is on a W-22 chassis and has a Allison tranny. I would appreciate if anyone can confirm this.

I am wondering about carrying capacity and towing a car. To start I will probable tow our Hyundai Tuscon that weights about 3500# on a tow dolly and maybe move to a 4 down tow of a similar weight.

I think I should be OK for this. I will try to keep the (STUFF) down as to help with the carrying capacity. We will be doing short trips to start here in Florida and the southeast. In a year or two we will would like to summer in the mountain west (Colorado or Wyoming). I know this rig will suffer on big grades put it is what it is.

I would like to hear from others who have this model RV and how it has preformed for you and how it handles your towed vehicle. As always all insight is appreciated.

Thanks to all.
6 REPLIES 6

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Lurker52
It sounds like you found a nice coach. We had a 2005 37DB for almost ten years before we purchased the coach in our signature. There is really no difference between the 04 and 05. We towed a Suzuki Grand Vitara which was around 3000 pounds which it pulled very well. It served us well and we took it on many a trip. We had a lot of fun in it. In 2012 we took it across the Rockies and it did just fine. You have to remember no motorhome is a race vehicle. One thing that you will want to check is the tires to make sure that they are under seven years old. As mentioned make sure that the brake recall was completed.There were also a number of recalls on the refrigerator and you need to call the manufacturer to be sure they have all been done. Make sure that you keep the oil changed regularly in both the generator and engine and both will serve you well. Enjoy.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

angler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 35db 22k workhorse. Make sure the brake recall was done and you should be good to go. I'm sure its Workhorse 8.1 and Allison was a good combination.
Bought mine used. Tiffin makes a very nice coach

Just as a FYI if you need to fix anything. This is what I've done to the coach and approx prices.
Leveling jacks - 1000
Fluids - Transmission, Coolant, oil, tire rotations - 700
New flooring and Carpeting - Did myself 500
New Starter - 500

Exhaust manifold bolts are also an issue, but mine were already replace.

Good luck you'll enjoy your tiffin
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Winnebago on a workhorse W22 chassis and agree with everything Rick said above. Weigh it ready to go subtract that from 26,000 and that's what you can pull (up to 5000), we have a Hyundai for a toad as well.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lurker52,

If it's on a W-22 chassis, then it DOES have an Allison 1000 transmission.

Understand that a 2004 RV model might possibly be on a 2003 W-22 chassis due to the production cycle/model years of the manufacturer. That information should be on a sticker near the driver's door, if it has one. That's where it is on our rig.

Chassis improvements were quite frequent during that time as Ford and Workhorse were in a pretty good competition for "best chassis". In early 2004 (maybe March or April) for instance, Workhorse improved the wheel-cut angle and 2 other things, but the specifics escape me at the moment. So when we ordered ours, I made sure to specify the "newer" chassis. Obviously, you don't have that luxury with a used unit. In my opinion, during that time, the Workhorse was a better chassis than the Ford anyway. The WH had a lower "doghouse", for one, making access to the driver & passenger seats a bit easier. PLUS the Allison transmission. The WH chassis, depending upon the motorhome manufacturer, came with a price premium of between roughly $3k-$5k over a comparable motorhome on the F-53 chassis.

The floorplan of that rig is probably comparable to ours weight-wise, but from what I remember, the Tiffin units seemed to weigh-in a bit heavier than some other manufacturers. Our rig weighs about 18,800 lbs. empty, with only full gasoline & propane. So I'm guessing that one, being about 6" longer might weigh in 19,000-19,500 lbs. depending upon how it's equipped. Ours is also a dual slide. So you probably have about 2,500-3,000 lbs. capacity for food, water, people & stuff.

Fill the water tank and you eat up about 700 pounds of that.

As for towing, the GCWR for that chassis is 26,000 lbs., meaning that IF you load the rig to it's maximum 22,000 lbs of GVWR, you can only tow 4,000 lbs. (26k-22k=4k), assuming it has a 5k tow hitch, which it should. IF you can keep the rig and all of it's contents UNDER 21,000 lbs., you can tow up to 5,000 lbs. (26k-21k=5k). That will be your maximum towing limit as the limit is now set by the 5k tow hitch.

So, if you need to tow 4,500 pounds, for instance, the rig and all of it's contents should be UNDER 21,500 lbs. Those are the numbers we travel with on our rig as we flat-tow our 4,480 lb. Honda Odyssey. So if your rig weighs 19,500 lbs. empty and you need to keep it under 21,500 lbs., after the water tank is filled you nave about 1,300 lbs. or so of capacity for people, food & stuff. Not bad for two people, but a bit tough if you have a larger crew. Plus, I think the 19,500 estimate is probably worst case. Most likely it weighs in the low 19,000's.

Hopefully this info helps. I did LOTS of research on similar rigs when we were looking to buy ours. I probably would've bought a Tiffin BUT we really needed the dual sofa layout of our Georgie Boy because we had 4 kids ages 1-7, at the time. I apparently forgot a lot of the details! LOL

Good Luck, it sounds like a sweet rig if everything is functional.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I was unable to find a 2004 but the 2005 Brochure is available on the Tiffin website and I believe they should be very similar. It lookslike you have abut a 4,000 pound limit on your toad depending on how the coach is loaded and the hitch limits.

In case you haven't found it yet, there is another independent website which has a wonderful forum populated by mostly Tiffin owners that can be located at the Tiffin RV Network. Click on the forum link in the left column.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't help on the vehicle but you will be fine out West (Colorado or Wyoming. We see all makes and models out here. enjoy