cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 PT Cruiser for Towed Vehicle

Paw_Paw_M
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any experience in towing a PT Cruiser with automatic transmission and front wheel drive? I've never towed yet and just purchased a 2007 Cruiser and my neighbor says it has to me trailered. I'm looking for any comments from anyone with experience in front wheel drive vehicles with auto tranny. Thanks in advance.
Paw Paw M
10 REPLIES 10

myrtle_beach_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I towed 2 PT Cruisers one auto, one manual for many years front wheels up on a tow dolly through mountains. Was a great toad and the conv. Was fun when you got there.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
Toad 2012 Jeep Patriot
Prev. 2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
89 Coachman Catalina

jurzbill
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our pt cruiser using the remco pump from Fla to Alaska and back. I would venture to say we put 20k miles on the PT before we traded it in. Not one problem with it.
2004 ksdp 39ft
toad:2014 Ford CMax
:W
FMCA F359471, Newmar Kountry Klub 17645
bill, linda cary grant, carley.
chance and chase are with us in spirit and travels with us where ever we go.

davidgebo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 PT Cruiser turbo ragtop. We tow it frequently, and have no problems at all. We had to install a Remco transmission pump, and a SMI brake actuator for the Cruiser, but, it tows behind our Vegas like a dream. Remco is the premier transmission pump and towing accessory company, and can tell you all you need to know about towing four wheels down. They are very quick to respond to any tech questions you may have, and really know their stuff. The system is quite trouble-free, and very dependable. You will have a pump monitor in the coach to tell you the pump is operating at all times you are towing the car. A very safe and secure system. We also use the Blue Ox towing rig. Very strong and beefy tow bars. The car pulls straight and true, and you don't even know the Cruiser is back there except fore the camera seeing it.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I've been towing a 93 auto tranny PT cruiser for 9 years using a Remco Lub pump. Not sure why a previous poster cautioned about pump failure. The system is set up with an alarm and LED warning incase of pressure failure. If you burn up a tranny because of pump failure, it's operator error. I've had pump failure and had to run the engine while towing until I could get a new pump. Remco did over night a pump to my next destination. Freight was a little pricey but it was my call.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

blakduk01
Explorer
Explorer
I havea 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible and it tows fine on a tow dolly. No other sure way to tow IMHO.

busyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Pt and have towed it about 50,000 miles with the Remco lube pump. No problem. First pump lasted about 8 years and the one I have now is a lot better pump and is working great. There is an adaptor for the PT that will let you mount the pump to the left spring housing. Easy to install and keeps the pump out of the way.
Busyguy

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I had a '02 with the lube pump. When the pump goes out beware. I caught it before any damage was done.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, it needs a lube pump! then it can safely be towed!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
works for me with remco pump since 2005
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own 2 PT cruisers 2008 and 2009 both automatic transmissions and Chrysler recommends a dolly or trailer. There are some that state you can start the car leave it in neutral and that it is then safe to tow. I cannot in good faith recommend it because if the engine stalls no oil will be circulated in your tranny and cause it to fail or worse yet seize up while being towed.
Buy a dolly
Traveling with my best friend my wife!