cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Roadtrek SS Battery Separator Making clicking noise

dixied
Explorer
Explorer
I am hearing a clicking sound coming from the battery separator when the motor is running. The sound is like a thermostat clicking on and off. I stopped at the Mercedes Sprinter dealer and the tech said it was a camper problem, after locating where the sound was coming from. Has anyone else had this happen? I found a reference on the forum to a Sure Power battery separator recall in 2011, but cannot tell if mine is that kind. If this is true, I was never notified. Anybody know about this? I was planning to leave for Montana next week, and the nearest Roadtrek dealer is 4 hours away in the wrong direction. It's 97 degrees here, and I am not in the mood to deal with this! Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Dixie
Dixie and the Goldendoodles, Nikkibear and Gus
2012 Roadtrek SS Agile
5 REPLIES 5

dixied
Explorer
Explorer
I called the nearest RT dealer, actually have 2 locations between 150 and 200 miles away. They are backed up at least 2 weeks. The service technician had not had that problem come in before. Called the dealer where I purchased it, RV World in Lakeland, FL. They had one with the clicking sound once in the past, which was a new one on the lot. He did not recall what happened with it. Nobody had heard of any recalls. I found the Surefire recall numbers, and mine is not in the S/N batch, which is good, since the problems associated with the recall are overheating, smoke, and fire. Still trying to call Surefire anyway, but the recall phone number is on the Pacific coast, and they are still asleep. I am trying to get in touch with the local RV dealer and get it in there. Trouble is, everyone is super busy now!

Thanks for everyone's help! I am going to take the check list ya'll generated to the RV center.
Dixie
2012 Roadtrek SS Agile

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
I received the following info from Sure Power when trying to help Ron diagnose a similar problem with his 2010 Chevy based Roadtrek.

If it is clicking that is a good sign of several things to check for :

(1) Bad ground connection to the ground terminal.
(2) If there is a circuit breaker installed it could be tripping.
(3) Bad or too small cable and wiring sizing. Or bad connections to any part of the terminal and wiring.
(4) If a second aux. charging source is being used such as a battery charger may not be high enough voltage to keep it engaged or if the charging source being used on the main side such as the alternator may not be reaching the 13.2 volts in order for the Separator to kick in to parallel the second battery. The battery separator must see 13.2 volts in order for it to kick in. The Separator is totally dependent on the charge source and is only good as it outs out.
(5) Or shorted cell or bad battery.

Ron kept hearing a clicking sound coming from underneath the hood coming from the Sure Power separator. The problem (as far as I know) turned out to be a failing chassis battery and the solution was the Chevy dealer replacing the chassis battery - #5 on the list above.
1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
We were just discussing battery separators in another forum but not this subject. On my former Pleasure-way and my Great West Van I had and have a mechanical battery disconnect. I believe the Roadtrek uses a solenoid relay so you can conveniently shut off the battery with an accessible toggle switch. So I would imagine what you are hearing might be the solenoid. If you are talking about the auxiliary battery as I assume that indeed is a camper problem and not Mercedes Benz. If it is clicking like that is the 12V battery power also going on and off or have you checked that?
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

dixied
Explorer
Explorer
Patty1819 wrote:
We had that occur when we first got our 2012 RS. It stopped when the batteries fully charged. I believe it's normal but you can check with live chat on the Roadtrek.com website.

I have 14k plus miles on it, and have not heard this clicking before. I know it is not normal. I was on a 700 mile drive to the coast and back when when it started, and it never stopped. I'm checking with Roadtrek today. I do not want to take it to the local RV dealer nearby, who is not a RT dealer, when it is something electrical/battery related. I found a picture online of the separator that was recalled and it looks like mine--same model #. It just seems like somebody with a Roadtrek on here would have gotten a notice, though.
2012 Roadtrek SS Agile

Patty1819
Explorer
Explorer
We had that occur when we first got our 2012 RS. It stopped when the batteries fully charged. I believe it's normal but you can check with live chat on the Roadtrek.com website.