cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Leprechaun water leak problems

GollyCollie
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I bought a new 2013 Leprechaun 317SA that we like a lot except we have very bad water leak issue in it. The front cap on our unit, and apparently on a lot of 2013 Leprechauns, was mounted improperly and it allows water to leak in and collect inside he front cap. This water that pools in the front cap then spills over into the hollow bunk deck and goes from there. I discovered the problem when I turned a corner and water showered down on my head! The dealer has made several attempts to correct the problem over the past 4 months, but each attempt has been a failure. Currently they have the front cap totally off of my unit so they can replace the bunk that has been damaged by the water. We are waiting for the bunk from the factory and they are giving me an estimate of 3-4 weeks before it is here. Once the dealer pulled the front cap off they found that the cap was mounted with non-water resistant, double face tape and then simply sealed around the edge with silicon. if the silicon seal is breached in any way, water comes right in and collects in the cap. According to the dealer, they have several more Leprechauns on their lot that are the same way and have water leak problems. This tells me that there must be a lot of them out there.

I think that my dealer is doing the best he can do to make my coach right but I am getting very frustrated with it. I am making payments on an RV that I can't use. I also know from sad experience what water can to do a motorhome and don't want to repeat it.

I would be very interested to hear about anyone else with a new Leprechaun that is having water leak issues so we can compare notes. Maybe I can help you with what I have learned too.
128 REPLIES 128

wtb1956
Explorer
Explorer
I just found this thread. I too have a 2013 Leprechaun 319 and my dealer actually found the leak during a routine service. Unlike the others the water found its way back to the drivers transition warping it enough to be noticed by the tech. Its fixed but based on the 12 pages of misery I just finished reading I think I'll open mine up this weekend and run some water, weather permitting.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
What the HELL is wrong with Leprechaun? Jesus Christ!!!!

It is OBVIOUS they have a major QC issue going on and they just go right on selling a defective product for $85K and up? I would be absolutely LIVID and going ballistic on them. All of you who have these leaking coaches should exchange info. and file lawsuits in multiple States.

Jose

GollyCollie
Explorer
Explorer
gnight wrote:
Do you think this is just a 2013 problem?

I wanted to update the answer that I gave you as to this being a problem that is confined to 2013 models or if it is still problem in 2014 models. I was just contacted by an individual that tells me they have a 2014 319DSF that has the same water leak issue as mine and has been in the shop for the majority of the time they have owned it. Their 2014 Leprechaun is currently in the shop and has been there about 2 months this time. This individual also is aware of one other 2014 sold from their dealer with the problem. I am amazed and depressed. Sigh....

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Sincerely hope your leak is whipped!!!
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

GollyCollie
Explorer
Explorer
gnight wrote:
Do you think this is just a 2013 problem?

Is the problem just in 2013 models? That is a good question that only Coachmen can answer, so what I say here is just my speculation based on what I have learned from my experience. My Leprechaun must have been built fairly early in the run for 2013 because it is actually built on a 2012 Ford chassis. I get the impression that Coachmen is well aware of this particular leak problem and has been for a while, so I am sure that if they have a fix for it during construction, they would have implemented it in the factory ASAP. I donโ€™t think they intentionally put out a faulty product and I canโ€™t imagine that they enjoy dealing with this any more than I do. I know that the cost to repair my coach alone has run into the thousands so not putting more units like it in the field would be a high priority. Those things being said, if this particular issue is still a problem for 2014, it would surprise me.

I still donโ€™t know if my problem was due to an engineering flaw or a quality assurance issue. A long time ago I was an inspector on an assembly line and I can tell you that every unit that comes down any assembly line isnโ€™t the same. A lot depends on the individuals performing the tasks along that assembly line. Maybe the guy who was doing the front cap installation the day mine was built was having a bad day, or the regular guy was sick and was being replaced temporarily by the guy who installs toilets. Who knows? It does happen. Or maybe it was faulty design? I have no clue, but the point is that as a consumer, you shouldnโ€™t have to be that involved. As a consumer, all you want is a product that performs as it is supposed to perform.

We havenโ€™t had a lot of rain here since I picked up my coach from the dealer, but I have found no water so far so that is good. Comparing my coach to one on the showroom floor, I am not overly excited about the aesthetics of the repair work that was done on it. The trim that goes around the edges of the front cap is very wavy and uneven where one coming off the show room floor is straight and even. I donโ€™t know if anyone else would ever notice it. Maybe I am being too picky but my eyes go right to it and it is like a burr under my saddle. It is an improvement over leaking though.

gnight
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for this entire thread. I've been strongly looking at a smaller Leprechaun to buy but now have serious reservations. I know what to look for at least. Do you think this is just a 2013 problem?

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Fingers crossed on good reports. The cost of the recliner substitution would probably have cost you 3 months of note from dealer. A plus, as I see it.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Like everyone else following this thread, I am very happy to hear you finally have your rig at home.

Getting the recliners for you is the least they could do and does show at least some concern about the dealer maintaining a relationship with you.

Wishing you many happy (and dry) journeys.

Jose

CT51
Explorer
Explorer
I've been logging on several times a day just hoping to see this post. Coach looks great at home where it should be! Almost expected a Christmas bow on it!

Glad the collateral damage from the time at the dealer isn't too great. That mold should come off easy, since it is relatively new. A little bleach in whatever you clean it with should prevent recurrence. The pieces inside could be at the dealer in two days if they and Coachmen wanted them to be. Make sure they remember to send the matching screw covers for the bunk trim when they order. I would email every day until you have them in your hand. I would put them on myself, to avoid any further damage from dealership personnel.

That's the main reason I do any work I can myself. There's just no way a tech is going to be as careful as I would be. He may have more experience than me, but I'm going to put towels over the counter tops and anywhere I set a tool. I'm not going to scratch things trying to take them off, my shoes are off to avoid damaging baseboards etc.

Please keep us updated as the leak testing continues. I and many others commend your patience and perseverance.

CT51

paullac
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
Great news. Hopefully the seas will be calmer for the rest of your voyage.

Not trying to be smart or anything but not a good analogy (IMHO). You know, seas, the whole water thing. How about "hopefully the roads will be smoother for the rest of your journey".

Seriously, glad this looks like it worked out for you GollyCollie, we're all keeping our fingers crossed for you.
All previous rigs below are sold - waiting until the kids graduate to the buy the next one!
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 Class C
'04 Fleetwood Sedona Pop Up / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Great news. Hopefully the seas will be calmer for the rest of your voyage.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

GollyCollie
Explorer
Explorer

This is a picture of something I havenโ€™t seen in a while. It is my motorhome sitting on its pad at my house! I was notified that I could pick up my motorhome on Wednesday, December 11, 102 days since I dropped it off the last time. Because we have to work, we arranged to pick it up yesterday, on Saturday.

We have had a little rain so I went out to the motorhome this morning and pulled off the front bunk trim so I can keep an eye on the inside of the front cap. We didnโ€™t get a lot of rain but I am delighted to report that as of this moment it appears that I am dry! I will continue to monitor it as time goes by. The test will be if it remains watertight after it has been baked in the sun and flexed by driving. I have my fingers crossed.

I asked the dealer what they actually found and repaired on the roof to correct the problem and really didnโ€™t get a clear answer. I do know that they remounted the front cap with some sort of sealant under it this time and repaired several areas along the side rails that they located with the pressure machine. I think that this has been such a long process and has probably involved enough people that I will never know everything they did.

I still have a couple of things that I need to get squared away. The plastic trim that goes around the front bunk cut-out area looks pretty sad because it has been taken in and out a lot, so I really want that replaced. They also did a small amount of damage to the vinyl trim on the dinette. Iโ€™m sure that happened during the inside repair work. We will just start another punch list I guess, but those things are minor as long as the leak is fixed. I think where we are at now is just the normal little bugs that need to be worked through on a new RV.

One thing that has my wife very upset is the awning. She is religious about putting it out and drying it when it gets wet so it doesnโ€™t mildew. (She is the one who gets stuck cleaning it.) Once she saw all of the water testing that they were doing on the motorhome she said that they need to be drying the awning out, so I relayed that message to the dealer. Well, when we picked it up yesterday the first thing we did was put the awning out and it has several pretty large areas of mildew. Not good.

On the good side, one of the other problems we had with the motorhome was the shades that were in it. They simply would not hold a pleat. Coachmen has replaced those with an upgraded shade that I believe will work much better look great. I had also mentioned to Coachmen that I wished we had ordered our coach with the side by side recliners that are an option rather than the sofa, and I was surprised to find out that Coachmen did ship those recliners to the dealer and they were installed on Friday which was very nice and I do appreciate. They will be nice.

I work in an industry where customer relations and communication is critical, and I think that lack of communication has been the biggest downfall in my experience so far, both from Coachmen and the dealer. When a problem like this is in the works, so much can be avoided by keeping the customer in the loop and letting them know what is going on. When the customer hears nothing, he always assumes the worst.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
The really disappointing thing is that I bet there are owners out there who don't even realize it is leaking and won't realize it until someone else goes to buy their coach or they notice the mold and delamination.

Jose

GollyCollie
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
Has Coachmen offered you anything for all this hassle you've had to endure with this defective coach ? It's one one thing not being able to use a new motor home, it's something else having to make the monthly payments on a motor home that you can't use.

It really even goes beyond the past loss of use. How does this problem effect the long term use of the coach and its future value? What will be like in several years when there is no warranty? I wonder how many owners will discover that they have a problem after their warranty has expired and how they will be treated. I am sure that the restorative work done on mine would cost several thousand dollars if paid out of pocket and those folks will have to just pay it most likely. What I would like Coachmen to do, especially if they have a fix, is to have a general recall and a mass inspection and fix. As far as offering me anything, they have not other than to do the normal warranty work, which there has been a lot of.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Has Coachmen offered you anything for all this hassle you've had to endure with this defective coach ? It's one one thing not being able to use a new motor home, it's something else having to make the monthly payments on a motor home that you can't use.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect