cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24’ - 27’ floorplans.

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, after over 10 years in a long TT, I’m closing in on the floor plan decision for our first class c. My twin boys are 12 now, and instead of planning trips well in advance, hitching and hauling everything, we desire more spontaneity. Weekend, get up and go trips and tailgating for sporting events.

I’m looking at floor pans between 24’-27’. My boys and are I small, I’m only 5’8, 175lbs, so a bunk over cab and rear corner bed or slide out bedroom would suffice. I’m not certain about whether or not one u-shape dinette will be enough space, or if we should maybe go 3’ longer and add an adjacent sofa with a dinette.

If you’re bored, look over these 22’-26a Minnie Winnie floor plans and give me your pros and cons. I’m torn between all of the smaller ones; both 22s, the 25, and 26.

Minnie Winnie floorplans
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
34 REPLIES 34

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
The 25 on a 450 chassis is the clear choice.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes there is an option to have one or two comfy (swivel rocker) chairs opposite the dinette instead of a sofa. Take the chairs option!

You can swivel and look out the window on that same side. With a sofa you have to do gymnastics to look out that same window. You can swivel and watch the TV. The comfy chair is just more comfy. The sofa does not rock (in both senses of that word!)

Your Imalda shoe collection can go on the floor behind the two chairs, but no floor space for shoes with the sofa.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

NWboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:
fugawi wrote:
You might also consider the Leprechaun 260QB if you are willing to go a bit longer than the Winnebago 25B and want a small slide to open up the interior some. Its corner bed is a bit more accessible, it has a separate room, and you get the dinette and sofa.

I like this floor plan. What's the consensus on the Leprechaun brand?

The mfr. is Coachmen. Leprechaun is the higher end trim model, with Freelander being the standard. See Freelander models 26QB starting from 2011 for the same floorplan.

I own a 2013 that started as a Road Bear rental its first year, then private owner when I bought it with 26K mi. No complaints really, it's your standard mid-grade class C construction that has the same appliances and potential weaknesses (e.g leak potential) as most of the rest. Our has had no issues yet. The floorplan was our primary reason for purchasing as well. A few of my prior posts on the same thing:

Link1

Link2
'13 Coachmen Freelander 26QB

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
So far, I think I like the 25B the best as well, but the waste tank sizes are really small. That's a bit of a concern.
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with "C"s is limited to two rentals in AK. We all loved the one we had in 1992 but that is out of the question as Rockwood does not make motorized units today.

The other was a 30" Winnie with no slides, it worked great and had tons of room. But I would not recommend it for your stated purposes.

We have owned two "A"s, a Bounder 27D with twin beds and dinette and a Winnie Adventurer 32V. Both have taken us on extended trips with a variety of family members. From my short 20 years of motorized travel I would list them in the following order;

1. 25B
2. 22R
3. 22M
4. 26QB(Leprechan)
5. 26A

The 25B has both the dinette and sofa and for the reasons given by others the Dinette is not comfortable. Our Bounder had only a dinette and I grew to hate the table top. Very odd edge(sharp 90 degrees) and very odd height. I'm was 6'2" back then and just didn't work. The corner bed with a duvet is really comfortable and easy to make in the mornings. Boys can each have a sleeping spot without having to mess with the dinette. Not having to make a preteen or teen so you can sit and have a cup of coffee is nice. No slide is nice.

22R Looking forward a few years and no boys, I just like the floorplan. The "U" dinettes are almost a couch and really comfortable.

The 22M is doable but it has a slide which is another thing to fail. Slides are great and I love ours but... It also limits your flexibility as far as driveway and sports arena parking.

The 22' models are small and no sofa is a drawbak.

26QB My biggest concern is that the Leprechan is really long. It is not going to fit where the 25B will fit in your driveway. Leprechan's are not as nicely finished as the Winnies and the Winnie manuals and parts lists are nice to be able to download.

26A is also long and three slides in 26 feet is more than I would like to have. My least favorite floorplan by far, it just too much stuff.

We are spoiled by our rig and it's features but it is not for everyone. We are starting to sit more and drive less as we enter our late 70's and it is more like a house than other rigs we looked at. There are others that we like a lot, but we don't want a big old payment, that can buy a lot of gas, however, if the money were not a concern we would have a Winnie VIA 25T in a heartbeat.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
fugawi wrote:
You might also consider the Leprechaun 260QB if you are willing to go a bit longer than the Winnebago 25B and want a small slide to open up the interior some. Its corner bed is a bit more accessible, it has a separate room, and you get the dinette and sofa.

I like this floor plan. What's the consensus on the Leprechaun brand?
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
{keep in mind that in most the term "walk around" is relative}.

That's certainly true. Three side access would be more accurate. But still worth it! :B Our old corner bed was only 48" wide and had walls on three sides, it was very cave like. The new (short) queen is wider and easier to get in/out, but it's definitely more crawling around than walking. I also appreciate the access when it comes time to change the sheets.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the 26. More seating is usually better than less. With a dinette, you constantly have to get up to let the inside people out. If you have a couch, there's that many fewer people to hassle you.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP: Stay with your 24 - 27' plan as it will suit your projected use much better. An island queen in a C under 32' is the most overrated feature I have ever seen. If you are like most folks you will spend 8 hours asleep and about 30 seconds getting in and out. Hardly worth all that you have to give up to get that walk around queen {keep in mind that in most the term "walk around" is relative}.

For you and your boys, the rear corner queen and the cabover will work well and you still have the dinette option. Have yet to see a jackknife sofa that was actually anywhere near comfortable to sleep on. Our horseshoe-shaped dinette is very comfortable and actually makes into a real bed on those rare occasions we need it. Most folks who actually camp spend 10 to 13 hours a day outside so the interior layout matters little except in inclement weather. It all comes down to how and where you will use the rig.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Sofa + dinette was a must for us. The kids can be playing cards and I can be kicking it on the couch. If I had to choose just one, I'd probably go with a couch and put a folding table in front of it when needed. I find the dinettes to be uncomfortable for hanging out.

Corner bed would be no issue for me at all if I were solo with kids. With the wife however, it got tiresome. Our trailer of 10+ years had a corner bed so obviously we made it work, but a walk around queen was non-negotiable this time around.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, it's like clockwork on here. I specifically tell everyone that I want a smaller unit for easy, spontaneous trips; and you guys tell me to go with a 32' land yacht. LOL j/k

Seriously though, thank you for the feedback. I know I'd like the larger unit on some trips, but most of the time, it'll just be me and my 12 year old boys hitting road for a night or 3. Not a lot of cooking (if any) will be done inside.

The reason I want to go smaller is because, after 10 years of travel trailering, I've seen the writing on the wall. Our trips are now about convenience. I want a small profile, stealthy little camper that I can park at the grocery store, load up and go.
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier this year we bought a slightly used 2017 Forester River Forester SLE 2251(about 24 ft.) on a Chevy 4500 chassis, with a 6.0 gas engine. Wanted the Chevy because of larger foot well space and less heat emitting from engine, drivetrain into cab. Similar to Minnie Winnie 22M. Just my wife, myself and our 35lb. dog. Easy to drive and easy to park in campground sites or street parking Has bed slide on drivers side, which helps to judge space needed backing into sites We generally go on trips-not weekends- and like that we both can drive it and similar to driving a 1 ton pick up and can park it/store it in my driveway
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Vote would be the 25,if you can live with the corner bed.You will have the sofa and the dinette for more seating room.

The real plus on this one is the curbside dinette. I had a curbside dinette on my last RV,it was great to be able to sit there while my 2 Daughters were outside and we could watch them,also it is nice to eat a meal and look out on your campsite and not your neighbors when in a campground.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My comments based on a superficial look at these three plans:

The three smallest are available on both an E350 and E450 chassis. I would definitely try to get the heavier duty chassis, as you'll have more weight carrying capacity free and not have to worry about overloading things as much. I think the whee track on the E450 is also wider, which should translate into somewhat more stability on the highway.

The two without slides will typically be somewhat lighter (slides add weight) and take slightly less effort to set up and break camp. I'm not a huge fan of slides generally, but many people do like them a lot. They have one advantage (more space inside) and a number of disadvantages; but that one advantage can be a very big advantage in some circumstances and for some people, it must be said.

The 26A looks to be the only one with any hint of kitchen counter space. If you like to do much cooking that is a definite advantage (even though it's still not very much counter space).

I would suggest looking at them in person if at all possible. The floorplans often don't show things that make a noticeable difference in actual use--things like how accessible stuff is with the slides in, whether there's a good place to stick the trash can, how likely one is to trip over the step up (if there is one)....