cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp MH, plugged into 30 amp, ok to run 2 ac units??

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Something new for me. My motorhome has 50 amp service, however I'm currently plugged into a 30 amp outlet. Both my air conditioners are running. Is this ok to run both on 30 amps? Thank You
Brian
44 REPLIES 44

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If you are plugged into a 30 amp receptacle, protected by a 30 amp breaker and you monitor your voltage, you should be good to go until the breaker trips.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
roam1 wrote:
specs are one thing
practice is another
there are guardbands built into most electrical specs
your results may vary, but don't listen to the ones who only believe specs

Where's that darn like button!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
specs are one thing
practice is another
there are guardbands built into most electrical specs
your results may vary, but don't listen to the ones who only believe specs

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have EMS and do it all the time. WH and reefer on gas.

BUT an EMS is required.

I also don't buy not being able to pull 30A continuously. I have an amp meter on 30 and I pull high 20s continuously. A breaker won't even pop at rating. More like 110% and for more like a minute or two. It's heat driven not amps. PF makes a difference.

I agree you need to monitor the voltage and check the plug for heat.

Yes I have switched off an AC when I had a worn out receps.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said before, we have found that in hot weather if you draw close to 30 amps you will destroy the connector.

Ed Headington

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
You can get away with it IF 1 or both of the units are 13,500 BTU units, BUT if both are 15,000 BTU units, they on the average pull 15 AMP each so on a 30 AMP breaker designed to sustain 24 AMPS over a sustained period your in trouble.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you did the math before you asked the question you wouldn't have... Like Scott said continuous 24 amps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We run a 15000 and 13500 A/C for past six summers at our spot on the lake with no issues. Mind you we don't run anything else. Water heater to propane as well as fridge.
When turning on A/C's turn them on one at a time so you don't overload the breaker.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
wow! I run 2 ac's and the fridge on 30 A all the time,.....for years
all depends on your coach, how its rigged and wired
won't run much else though
my coach is 50A, just hook it to a 30A pigtail
I believe I have a power manager so the ac's don't kick on at the same time

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The problem is, the voltage may be just fine until they both try to start thier compressors at the same time. Then the voltage takes a destructive dive and the damage is done before you can do anything about it.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you are not monitoring the situation and ensuring the voltage is adequate the answer is no.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Only 1, or things will turn ugly.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As another recently pointed out to me, a 30A outlet is only intended to deliver 24A max continuous.
I think if you go out and check the plug, it may be quite warm. You should also check the voltage inside your RV. It could be very low.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Fridge,water heat and everything else on propane or off and watch your voltage in the RV stays 108+
Still may not work.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The simple answer is NO. Each AC unit will pull from 12 to 15 amps HI cool. That leaves you with 3 to 6 amps left for everything else in the RV. Your refer on 120 pulls about 2.5 amps to 4.0 amps. The Power Converter/Inverter-Charger 1 to 3 amps. Add other 120 appliances and you will overload the system. Also, monitor the actual 120 line voltage with a digital Voltmeter. Odds are the line voltage will also be lower than safe/normal operation. If below 110 volts, then shut off 1 AC unit and run it on Hi fan only. There are NO safeguards for running systems on substandard supply poles. If the voltage is LOW, then you risk harm to some appliances including the roof AC units. Doug