cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.8 V10 E450 mpg on Ford

Camper_2012
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, my friend wants to buy a 24 ft Motorhome. What would be mpg on 6.8 V10 E450. Thanks.
53 REPLIES 53

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
WA7NDD wrote:
Did a 2300 mile trip in my 1999 Class C V10 Four Winds last summer and averaged 13 mpg. The trip was in Oregon were speed limits are low, and even if they were not, the roads keep you at 55. Had all the power I needed even in the Blue Mountains.

I think you need a new calculator.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
Did a gate to gate test on I-95 at60mph, 9mpg , 14k load, no toad other wise super slab+ stop go off interstae 8.1 to 7.2 can't beleve anybody gets 11 in a "c", also make sure we all talking same size & abt same weight not a 22 on a 350
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
Did a 2300 mile trip in my 1999 Class C V10 Four Winds last summer and averaged 13 mpg. The trip was in Oregon were speed limits are low, and even if they were not, the roads keep you at 55. Had all the power I needed even in the Blue Mountains.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
I've averaged 7.7 MPG for over 50,000 miles. That's driving conservatively - - 57/58 MPH on the hwy. (That's with pulling a toad about 99% of the time.)

But I have a large front bunk (great headroom inside) that pushes a lot of air - - think that the biggest contributor to my poor MPG.

Had a 26' class C with the Ford 460 CID V-8 back in the '90s that got an even 8 MPG.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
A Ford V-10 mpg is approximately 6 miles or less in stop and go traffic "city driving" and 8 to 10 mpg on highway driving at a conservative driving speed, the higher the speed the more consumption of fuel, I calculate 6 mpg
City and 9 mpg highway, taking into account that mountain driving and pulling a toad will be less mpg, with that in mind we calculate the average fuel for the trip.

Other engines in other vehicles will get better mileage and some will get less, there is not much that can be changed, unless you want to build an aerodynamically wind slippery RV that gets what you are looking for in mpg.

navegator

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
I have a motorhome b/c I used to have a truck / trailer combo. All the negatives you cite above about riding in a motorhome seem like nothing if your towing a long heavy box behind you.

Driving my motorhome is a treat compared to that.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
When we started motorhoming we were a young couple with kids paying the mortgage and living from small paycheck to paycheck, cost of fuel was more of a limiting factor. Cost of fuel is a bigger issue if your style of motorhoming involves lots of driving and touring vs camping. IMHO, the harsh ride on typical concrete highways, road noise, and overall stress of driving a motorhome for long stretches, often in mountainous areas, does not compare well to touring in most cars. We have done the cross country tours and camping closer to home in various sizes and types of campers and motorhomes over 40+ years.

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Ford looks but that about it. mph is not good. That why I wanted my Dodge Scotty with a Cummins diesel back. 14 towing the car trailer and 16 empty holding the speed 60 a hour. If I run 65 or higher the fuel mileage drops down. My buddy has a older Ford with a 360 engine and you can't stay behind him your eyes will burn from the gas fumes. I mean that. No way I am staying behind Jim. Class C Motor Homes on a Dodge with a Cummins would sell like hot cakes I would think.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ Well said. Unless someone has very special needs, like to be sure everything's just the same every night, special food needs, travel with pets, etc. etc. then an RV isn't very good "transportation." To just "get somewhere" we drive and motel, or fly. As the cost of moving the "weekend cottage" from one nice place to another, priceless.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Unlike our motorcycles where the ride is usually the adventure, our RV's destination is usually the adventure. Some trips we just hotel it. All depends on what we're doing.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. I don't give a hoot how low my mileage is. Even 'good' mileage in a RV is just plain awful. As long as she turns over and gets me from 'A' to 'B' in one piece, I'm good to go.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I have decided not to know. As long as my rig gets me there I am happy. If I knew what the mpg was then I would have to compare that to my Mini Cooper and that would make me unhappy. Different horses for different courses. Ignorance is bliss when t comes to mpg and RV's.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
tpi wrote:
Fuel costs are one of the largest costs in RV ownership-possibly second only to depreciation. Depending on fuel prices typically $4000-$5000 per 10,000 miles. Or $40,000 to $50,000 per 100,000 miles. Maybe we'll catch a break on some of this if the fuel prices stay low.

A very interesting analysis .... the likes of which I've never seen posted before!

I guess hidden in your numbers is the fact that it would take around 100,000 miles to pay back the extra cost of a Sprinter chassis under a Class C over that of a good old Ford chassis under a Class C ... of course varying a bit depending upon gas prices.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
2006 27' Ford E450 - 6 to 9 MPG here. (6 on hills) Around 7-8 MPG at 60-65 MPH on flat roads. Best is 9 at 55 MPH on the flats. Most of our trips are within 300 miles of home.
If you have to worry about 1 or 2 MPG you probably shouldn't have an RV.
I budget for gas for each trip so I don't worry about it.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York