cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6v battery lifespan?

klm
Explorer
Explorer
What is the average lifespan of 6v batteries? What would shorten the typical lifespan? Is there a big difference in longevity between the different types of 6v batteries? Thanks
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR
24 REPLIES 24

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Groover wrote:
One thing I had noticed in my coach was that every time I plugged in or started the gen-set it would charge at 100 amps for a while. At first I assumed that the batteries were low and that the charge was really needed.

There are a few different types of charger/converters

Some like the Parallex 7300 are single stage, they always put out the same voltage, generally 13.6 if they have decent regulaton (The older Magnetek 6300 was single stage, but not well regulated so it boils batteries, also designed for 110, not 120 volts ac in).

Some, Again I will pick on Parallex, this time the 7300T (not additional T on part number) use a timer and work exactly as you describe.

Some (Xantrex Prosine, PDI 9200 (or any wizard model) Iota with IQ=4 to name a few, there are many) measure voltage and/or current and figure out which type of charge is needed.

On chassis batteries.. They can take a much faster charge due to the larger area of the thinner plates, They also discharge faster (Why they are Starting batteries) so they often take one HECK of an initial charge,,, for just a few minutes, after starting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the things that I monitor with my OBDII ScanGauge is charging voltage. On my coach, both the house and chassis batteries are charged by the alternator when the engine is running. As I drive down the road, my charging voltage can get as high as 14.6 volts during normal operation. This has not hurt my flooded wet cell chassis battery or my four 6 volt gel cell house batteries which are all going on 6 years old.
When parked, my Xantrex has been configured for the gel cells to keep them charged and my chassis battery is hooked up to a DelTran Battery Tender to maintain a full charge.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"An occasional slight overcharge to "Stir things up" a bit. These seem to help."

I think that you are referring to de-sulfating the battery. The manual for my charger talks about this and seems to thing that doing it every 6 months or so is a good idea. I have not tried it you but want to research it a little more and may try it when the weather warms a little bit.

Here is a link to a web site that is trying to sell de-sulfating devices:
http://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/battery-desulfation.html

One thing I had noticed in my coach was that every time I plugged in or started the gen-set it would charge at 100 amps for a while. At first I assumed that the batteries were low and that the charge was really needed. I got suspicious and started reading the manual and found that it does a "bulk charge" at about 14.6 volts and up to 100 amps when power is connected for a set period and then lowers the charge voltage. I don't know what the merits of this are but feel that it was too much for too long. I found and adjusted parameters in the charger to lower bulk charge time, target volts and rate. I want to see if my water usage goes down or if it seems to cause any problems with batteries not getting charged adequately.

Since I am fairly new to this game I would love to here what other people use for settings for target voltage, battery cut out voltage and genset auto start voltage and any other relevent parameters.

It won't help much with the house batteries but I am experimenting with hooking a capacitor bank in line with the starting batteries. The caps take a big part of the hit when starting which will probably help both battery and starter life. The caps themselves should last forever.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Interstates lasted 9 years, This is with some "Abuse" (Occasional deep discharge to well below 50 percent)

I did not have to replace the crappy converter.. RV came with a 9180+wizard.

Have searched for a better one,, Still searching, Have not found one.

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

Just a quick Up-date. My Twin Interstate, 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery's are now just a bit over 10 years old. I used them also in my last 5th Wheel Trailer for 6 years. One of the first thing I did to my 5er, was to replace the Crappy Converter/Charger to a PD Intell 9145 AMP Converter/Charger, with the Charge Wizard I took my Battery's out when I sold it, and I put them into my Class A Motor Home. One of the very first things I did to my Motor Home, was to replace the Crappy Megatec Converter/Charger also. As it was only a two stage Converter/Charge, that could take anywhere from 36 Hrs to 48 Hrs to fully recharge Battery's, even at 50% or less, at least according to the owners manual. Plus it Boiled the heck out of the Battery Bank. Yep, I installed another PD Intell 55 AMP Converter Charger, with the Charge Wizard again.

My Battery's are always maintained at 13.9 Volts, and hit with 14.4 Volts every 21 Hours. I do keep my Motor Home always plugged in when not in use. So far, they are not showing any sign of getting any weaker. Or any signs of giving out. I'm a real Nut-Case, when it comes to Maintance and Provenative Maintence. I have done all of my own RV Repairs for over 50+ years. And will never need a so called RV Tech, for anything, ever.
My 5er, and my Class A Motor Home, are both very well set-up for Boon-docking. I have all 36 LED Light Boards in every light in or on my Motor Home. That's 10 Double Lights, and 10 Signal Lights. Even all of my Compartment Lights are all the LED's also. I also have two LED TV's also, that use only a little over 1 AMP each. I also have quite a few, LED Puck Lights placed through out my Motor Home. Which helps me last even longer Boon-docking. Even Boon-docking, my Battery Bank has never dropped lower than 10%. I also do have some Solar to help out also. As you can see in my Signature, I have more than enough Generator Power Plus, to easily go way past my Motor Homes 30 AMP Limit.

From Dan & Austin (My Yorkie) Happy & Safe Travels to all. "We are Full-Timers' And true "Spirits of the Wind"
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Captain Obvious wrote:
Some iota charger/converters can be upgraded to a 3 stage charger for only $15 bucks. It's worth checking to see if you have the magic charge port on the converter.
X2, check for what looks like a phone jack on your converter. If it has one, just purchase an IOTA IQ4 module. That will turn the single stage IOTA into a 3 stage unit.

IOTA IQ4

Captain_Obvious
Explorer
Explorer
Some iota charger/converters can be upgraded to a 3 stage charger for only $15 bucks. It's worth checking to see if you have the magic charge port on the converter.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2,6 year old, 6 volt, Trojen T-105's and they seem to be just fine. My coach was built in 2008, hope to get a few more years out of them. I do have a good 3 stage charger, Progressive PD9270 with a Charge Wizzard so that probably helps some but I do try to take good care of them. I think longevity depends a lot on how they are charged.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 6 volt Interstate batteries. They're about seven years old and still working. They froze about four years ago, slushy not solid.

I may be able to get another season out of them but, I'm going to replace them in a couple weeks.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
klm wrote:
OP here. I am a fulltimer, 99% plugged in to shore power. I have 4 6 batteries. Current bank is 3+ yes and need to be replaced. Just wondering if there is something I can do to increase longevity with the new ones? I use the profill system to keep water level topped off. Anything else? Best name brand?

A couple DC-27 12v batteries would be my suggestion. The interstate we have need little water (still OK after two years). I expect you have a charging or maintenance charging issue that needs to be addressed if they do not last 5+ years.

You have a lot of ampere but do not use it much.

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at just over 10 years on my 2 6-volt batteries, and they still do fine with the way I use them. I do have a charge wizard installed, and make sure they are always topped off with distilled water. I don't believe they have ever been down since I don't boondock and keep them disconnected when not in use.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Average life is One to Ten years, Some run longer with lots of tender loving care but with a reasonable level of care, (Regular cleaning, and watering with DISTILLED water, Do not discharge too far, and recharge promptly) 7-10 years seems to be about right.

What will shorten it: Improper charging,, Leaving them run down for months on end, or over charging for extended periods (IE: Magnetek 6300 line on 120 volts (the unit was designed for lower voltage) for like six month) failure to water or using tap instead of distilled water. Discharging way beyond 50 percent SOC (or higher for Marine/Deep cycle but you ask about six volt which are normally DEEP CYCLE) Physical abuse and high temps will not help them either.

How to extend the life: When discharged, recharge promptly with a good 3-stage charger.. Check fluid levels frequently and add DISTILLED WATER (nothing else) as needed, Some think a slight topping with a couple TBl. of Mineral oil helps too, I won't argue the point since I have no valid research to reference.

An occasional slight overcharge to "Stir things up" a bit. These seem to help.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
mthockeydad wrote:
korbe wrote:
I have 2 6-volt T105's that I bought new in 2008. I installed a disconnect switch after about 1 year because my converter seemed to over charge them while on shore power. I use a volt meter to keep an eye on them while dry camping and as far as I know, they have only dropped a little below 50% of full charge a couple of times.

Smart charger/convertor or old style transformer charger/convertor?

If we're spending $300-600 on batteries, it makes sense to invest in a $200 charger/convertor to make them last.

My converter is a three stage but for some reason it did a bit more than just maintain while fully charged.

mthockeydad
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
I have 2 6-volt T105's that I bought new in 2008. I installed a disconnect switch after about 1 year because my converter seemed to over charge them while on shore power. I use a volt meter to keep an eye on them while dry camping and as far as I know, they have only dropped a little below 50% of full charge a couple of times.

Smart charger/convertor or old style transformer charger/convertor?

If we're spending $300-600 on batteries, it makes sense to invest in a $200 charger/convertor to make them last.