cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

83 GM chassis power steering pump

abajc3
Explorer
Explorer
hello everyone, im new to this forum and i have a question to ask.

i need a new power steering pump for a 1983 sports coach class A 27' RV. its built on a GM chassis with a 454/th400 and has hydroboost brakes.

the old power steering pump is shot and i have no idea which pump it is. it looks a lot like a saginaw pump, but with a remote mounted reservoair. it doesnt have any numbers or other forms of ID stamped on it.

does anyone have a clue which pump it might be and where to buy it?
7 REPLIES 7

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
For performance stuff, check summitracing.com.

Also, for the flare vs metric o ring thing, a company called Lee Enterprises makes an adapter (call them) and Weatherhead, a manufacturer carried by many auto parts stores, carries lots of fitting ends, tube nuts, and adapters.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

abajc3
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all for you information! i ordered one from rockauto, hopefully it will perform as it should. does anyone sell a new (not rebuilt) one anymore? or a performance version?

@carm: i will se how it will fit when it gets here, ill pm you for pictures if it doesnt fit. thanks!

Carm
Explorer
Explorer
You may be in for a bit of work.

Not sure what year GM changed the fittings, but when I replaced the power steering/hydro-boost pump on my 1980 454 P-30 Itasca a few years back the old pump outlet had a double-flare fitting, the new pump had an O-ring fitting. I was able to remove the double-flare fitting and use it on the new pump which enabled me to re-use the old high-pressure hose.

Later, when the Hydro-boost unit failed I could only get a Hydro-boost replacement unit with the O-ring fittings. What a PITA. No one had a newer O-ring style hose for a P-30 that old, and anyway I now needed a hose with flare on one end, O-ring on the other. I got some steel brake line, replicated the shape of the pump end of the hose with the double-flare using a tubing bender and a flaring tool, and spent an hour in my local auto-parts store with a very helpful staff member who let me go through their power steering hose inventory until I found a hose with an O-ring end that would fit my new Hydro-boost unit. I bought the new hose, cut off the steel end, threw the hose away and re-bent the steel section to match the profile of the old section. Then went off to a local hydraulic hose supplier and got them to make me up a hose using my steel ends.

In the end it all worked out great but what should have been simple turned into a major project. Keeping the old units on the road is always a challenge but can be very satisfying for the do-it-yourself-er.

PM me if you'd like, I'm sure I have pictures of everything if you're interested.
1994 Bounder 32, F53, 460

koko1usa
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced mine on a 89 Chevrolet p-30. got it thru advanced auto supply they have pictures on their site. Make sure you get the one for power brakes. I believe that pump has no filter installed. Don't know about shipping. Their web site is pretty good. It was a bear to change. Good Luck,Mike

abajc3
Explorer
Explorer
ok so the chassis designation is a p30? that is great info, thanks! does anyone know if napa might ship internationally?

22_Over
Explorer
Explorer
Rockauto.com shows 2 pumps for the p30motorhome chassis with pictures

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
try napa part number ps381155 part still avlailable about 60 dollars plus core