cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

87 Ford E350 Signal light Problem

Whaase
Explorer
Explorer
I have 87 Ford E350 cutaway motorhome with a 460. Recently the signal lights stopped working. Break lights, backup lights and running lights all are working. I tried looking for the relay for the signals but I can't find it. I located the emergency flasher relay behind the dash. I replaced it thinking it may be connected. The lever clicks into place and pops back when the wheel turns. I'm a bit stumped as to where they would put the replay? Anyone have any ideas?
There are no fuses for the signals in the fuse box.

Thanks, Walter
7 REPLIES 7

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Could not figure out why ours were not working took it to the mechanic and he found there was water in the lights dried them out and changed all bulbs including clearance lights.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

rrbowman
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with j-d, check the top corner of the fuse panel under dash at the firewall.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
You will probably benefit from a Haynes or Chilton's manual for your model year E350.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Whaase
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
If I remember correctly, on my 1986 E250, the flasher unit was tucked in above the speedometer housing and the top of the dash.

Norm

I've looked everywhere I can possibly see. I found the emergency light flasher, but not the signal light one. I'll try again to look there again. I'm sure I've heard the clicking coming from there too.

Thanks Walter

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many years ago with our first motor home on a Toyota chassis, 10 or so years into ownership, we developed an issue with the tail lights. They simply stopped working. After going through everything, I concluded there was some kind of problem with the wiring between the front and back of the rig. It didn't take long for me to discover that the outfitter had cut the wire harness by the passenger door threshold with a utility knife when trimming the RV carpeting inside the cab. All but a strand or two were cut and after 10 years, the remainder eventually burned away like a fuse.

Something to keep in mind, the harness might be damaged somewhere inside the cab area by either the outfitter or previous owner.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
You said "flasher relay" but I think you meant simply "flasher" - correct? Newer vehicles are full of relays, but not that vintage Ford.

Norm's recollection of location of at least one flasher rings true for me, but it's been a long time...

But I'm also remembering a flasher socket in the corner of the inside fuse panel, the one near the driver's left foot, then up.

We had a recent case where the member had to replace the Turn Signal Switch. Not too awful a job if:

1. you don't have an air bag and

2. you do have a wheel puller
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, on my 1986 E250, the flasher unit was tucked in above the speedometer housing and the top of the dash.

Norm
F1BNorm