cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

89 Ford E 350 fuel problems

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1989 Ford Jamboree E350 26 foot with a 460 motor having fuel problems three times now the first time it ran for about 70 miles and fuel failed I have so far replace the ICM ignition control module (costly)and fuel filter I can hear the pump running. but engine runs out of gas. In cooler weather it didn't take long for it to start back up and run great for a few more miles then failure again as the days have warmed the failure resulted faster
Thinking it was probably the fuel pumps I began reading here on rv.net and it may be the fuel pump relay switches are they more susceptible to failure on the ambient temperature my unit has two fuel pumps one inside the tank as a primer pump for the high pressure pump that's mounted on the frame just below driver seat my first question is, will there be two relay fuel pump relay switches or one? I know there are several people out there that have these units the Ford 460 is very popular has anyone ever experienced anything like this I need help before I start replacing each pump & relay switch one by one till I find the problem. This has been a very aggravating adventure. Our rv only has 39k miles an is in excellent condition for an 89 model.
23 REPLIES 23

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Your post comments are there Garry...back up a page. Nonetheless...glad it's a fix and you can move on to the next adventure.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
I had posted my results but for some reason they dont show up here. Anyway my problem was the fuel pump inside the tank or primer pump. Also i couldnt find the same pump that had the mounting bracket made onto it so I had to modify the pump for it to work. I wish I had taken a pic of it for reference later. But i have driven it 1200 miles since then an she purrs like a lion now. Thanks so much for your help Gary Haut

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Am getting to replace the front tank fuel pump again. They only last about two years.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good! Thanks for the update. By "rear" you mean the in-tank pump that feeds the chassis-mounted pump, right?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
Well a big thank you to all that have helped me out an want to let everyone know it was the rear pump. We took a cruise up to -Kansas & back with no problems at all. Seemed to run a bit more solid. . Thanks to all an I have decided the pump was getting hot an failing. .when I removed the pump I hooked up 6 volts to it an it took about 3 minutes an it was to hot to hold. 39k miles an a wore out pump. But sure glad I can trust it again

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
Well a big thank you to all that have helped me out an want to let everyone know it was the rear pump. We took a cruise up to -Kansas & back with no problems at all. Seemed to run a bit more solid. . Thanks to all an I have decided the pump was getting hot an failing. .when I removed the pump I hooked up 6 volts to it an it took about 3 minutes an it was to hot to hold. 39k miles an a wore out pump. But sure glad I can trust it again

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1989 E350 and I had similar problems 2 times. In both cases it was a plugged catalytic convertor. When warm it would idle but do nothing else. After cooling off it would start and run for a while again. In both cases it was on a Sunday morning when I had skipped Church. I still think it was the convertor though.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Gary..I was fearing a bad news comment....I am delighted the pump was the culprit and answer. There seems to be a cycle of fuel pump stories. So many of us have had that pump fail. Most don't have either the skills, garage..or we are out on the road, when it goes and it's a many $$ fix in some shop we will never see again. I think the worst of it is that Chev trucks have their pumps mounted on the rail..outside of the tank. Only proud Ford owners get to enjoy this particular gift.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If the new pump etc., doesn't solve the problem it could be the coil. On our old Dodge van camper the can type coil would heat up while driving then apparently the primary or secondary coil would open up, then engine would quit suddenly with loss of power steering and power brakes. After the rig sat for a while it would start and run normally for a while.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
A couple people have responded about the button, saying it helps out when starting.

I may have missed it, but have you changed the fuel filter?

The 460 engines have had so many applications that sometimes exact parts can be hard to find. It is not uncommon to get a part that is similar and just kind of make it work. Hopefully yours works!

Garry_Bujak
Explorer
Explorer
New pump installed in rear tank but to my dismay Oriellys had sold me the wrong pump although it was the pump called for an after spending get 45 min in the store going over their parts no pump like mine was found so had to modify it all & use the one that they sold me. The pump was same size but outlet was configured differently. But rigged it up an is working fine. Now when key is turned on the pump in tank can be heard clearly whereas before there was just a light Humm. Anyway I will try it out today an see how it goes. Thanks Gary Haupt for all your assistance. BTW I'm still looking for the function of the push button on the left of steering column in the cab ?

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your CHASSIS a 1989? Check the production date in the door jamb. Might make a difference in parts. Does the ignition coil look like this?

The older ones used the round "can" ones, and they would fail when they got really HOT. I don't think the epoxy kind like I pictured (Autozone says it's for a 1988 E350 w/460) are as prone to doing that.
Would hate to have you pursue fuel when it was ignition...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Garry Bujak wrote:
What's function does the push button on left side of steering column perform marked start assistance. I assume it just connects the coach battery to the starting system for added voltage. Is that correct ?

That's correct. Well, almost ... technically "added amperage". 12V is 12V
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Garry Bujak wrote:
What's function does the push button on left side of steering column perform marked start assistance. I assume it just connects the coach battery to the starting system for added voltage. Is that correct ?

That is correct. That button operates a solenoid that connects the two systems together. On mine I can hear the solenoid clicking if I push and release the button without cranking.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity