cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C flipping circuit breakers while travrlling

DocMcNees
Explorer
Explorer
My 09 Allegro Bus is flipping breakers for all roof units on hot days anyone having similar problems and what to do
9 REPLIES 9

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
Call Tiffin...
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Jim@HiTek wrote:
A couple things come to mind. If you're in the desert southwest, with relentless sun beating down on the A/Cs, AND the sun hitting the wall of a cabinet where your Circuit breakers are, then it's possible you need to service the A/Cs up above to ensure they are all clean, fins are straight, and the insulation is in place. And, you might open the cabinet where the CBs are (if they are in a cabinet where the sun will hit the outside wall) in order to allow them to cool.

And of course, as mentioned, check that the voltage to them isn't too low.

DITTO: on hot circuit breaker panel. We had a hot snap of 110 a couple of weeks ago. I left the bedroom closed and both AC's running but the vents were set to push most of the cool air forward. The AC panel is in a closet and finding the RV hot as heck due to a tripped breaker I naturally put my hand on the panel and it was terribly hot.

After resetting it it tripped again. I then took the cover off and the the heat coming out was intense. Using a fan I quickly ventilated iit. Once the AC's were running I left the closet door open to allow the cool air to hit the panel.

Giving that some thought for a few days I decided installing a small fan would annoy us. So I took the cover off and placed 1/8 inch spacer behind the plate which allows air to flow in and out of the panel now.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Cornman
Explorer
Explorer
Not a totally unheard of issue. I have a 2009 43QRP. The problem is from engine heat in the closet while traveling. Leave the closet door by the breaker box while on the road. Bet the issue goes away! Hope this helps.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
A couple things come to mind. If you're in the desert southwest, with relentless sun beating down on the A/Cs, AND the sun hitting the wall of a cabinet where your Circuit breakers are, then it's possible you need to service the A/Cs up above to ensure they are all clean, fins are straight, and the insulation is in place. And, you might open the cabinet where the CBs are (if they are in a cabinet where the sun will hit the outside wall) in order to allow them to cool.

And of course, as mentioned, check that the voltage to them isn't too low.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
make sure other power sucking devices like electric water heater are turned off

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since it's doing it while driving down the road and not in the park I would check the output voltage of the genny. It may be a bit low.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you mean when you are hooked up to shore power. Normally this is a sign of low power available to you. You need to get a ac monitor and see what the voltage is. Are you running two a/c units on 30amps or 50 amps. How hot is it where you are. We really need more information.
al

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Tiffin has a few fixes.
1. IF the breaker panel is in the rear closet, you install an additional AC exhaust vent IN the closet if it does NOT have one. IF there is NO return vent (there usually is) you also install a return.
You also install a vent louver and cut a hole for that louver in the cabinet the breaker panel is in. If needed, you also install a tstat controlled 120 volt pc type fan to circulate air.
2. IF the breaker panel cabinet is in the right rear of the closet (pass side) and you have the chassis that has the muffler on the passenger side, you may have to have the bottom area of the cabinet foamed and insulated to keep the heat from the exhaust from migrating up. I insulate and then install a false floor and foam that floor in place to prevent any air/heat to migrate up.
3. Last, Tiffin has authorized and they now install on current models a 25 amp breaker for EACH AC in place of the 20 amp they originally installed.
4. Call Tiffin and see if they will auth a Tiffin facility to do any work under a Goodwill repair.
5. Does it do this ONLY in transit or does it do it parked? This problem is usually ONLY in transit. Doug

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
First thing that I would do would be to shut one off and see if the one runs. If then I would switch A/C units to see if the other one operates by itself. Next, I would start one with an amp meter in line to see what kind of amperage you are drawing at start up. Usually, A/C's take up to three times the running amerage to start. If everything looks good on both of them, I would check all of the connections in the breaker box, then work my way back to where power enters. Also, I would feel the breakers and see if they feel warmer than the others. If one is a lot warmer then the other then you may have a bad breaker. Since I don't know who the bus is wired, I can't tell you more than that. One thing that you might ask your dealer or repair person is does the A/C's have a soft start kit on them.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch