cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C LP Refrigerators

kokopelli40
Explorer
Explorer
What you found to be the most efficient and pratical way to help refrigerator cool in warm (hot) weather?
Thanks
KoKoPelli40
2016 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Hardrock

Cairn Terrier (Rollie)
1958 Chevrolet Impala convertible for Sundays
Good Sam (Lifetime)
FMCA
17 REPLIES 17

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
I have wired in 2 small computer fans, one inside the frig to circulate air and the other is on the outside blowing air up across the coils. It doesn't take much air movement to do the job.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've added a temperature controlled exhaust fan in the roof vent of my 18 year old Norcold, plus 4 mini circulating fans on the inside fins. The fridge holds near 0 ยฐ freezer temps and sub-40ยฐ fridge temps even in 90+ยฐ weather.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too switched to a residential model no more issues.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

sc3283
Explorer
Explorer
With anything that cools....reducing heat gain is always a plus

keep doors shut or open and close them quickly as these fridges tend not to recover quickly

aid in heat removal in the flue...I have 4 pancake fans in the top of my flue. I put them on a 100 degree switch.

My dometic in 100 degree outside weather parked in full sun all day with ACs running inside will keep 10 below in freezer and 34-36 in fridge
04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

chaffeekid
Explorer
Explorer
I just threw out my Dometic NDR 1292 that NEVER kept anything cold. On our last trip up to the Kankakee Il., area the fridge temp got up to 50 degrees and spoiled everything. It is now trash.
Have a Whirlpool 11 cuft that has more interior space than the old 1292 and will be able to put a pull out pantry next to it.

My coach has a 2000 watt inverter that normally runs the two TV's the microwave and nothing else that I can locate. I ran a new romex from the microwave area to the fridge cabinet that will allow it to run on Shore power, Generator and now inverter.

I have two large house batteries that will power the fridge when we are not running the genset or on shore power. I have room for two more house batteries that should power it for a day or more if ever needed. We don't dry camp and if we did, I'd install a couple of solar panels to keep the batteries charged.

Goodbye to soft ice cream and soured milk. Good riddance to the Dometic NDR 1292, look for parts on E-Bay if you have one of these. My cooling unit (what a joke) was bad.
Jim

MGySgt USMC(R) 61-91:)
N0LZS
Wife, has put up with me for 57 years :B
Amber, a Cockapoo, and Bambi a Hyper Chihuahua
2004 Winnebago Brave 34D, 8.1L 496cubes, Allison transmission, two Slides.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Plus if really hot run the ACs to cool the inside, but doubtful that it gets that hot is Salem.
mebbe he's at a witch burnin'
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

erstanfo
Explorer
Explorer
If in a slide, and upper vent is on the side of the motorhome, remove the top vent cover. This increases airflow through the back coils.
Ed, Sharon & Doolin the standard poodle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M

kokopelli40
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for responses
KoKoPelli40
2016 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Hardrock

Cairn Terrier (Rollie)
1958 Chevrolet Impala convertible for Sundays
Good Sam (Lifetime)
FMCA

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Mine works good on propane but when really hot I have a cheap O2 battery fan that I turn on. I modified the fan to run on 12v instead of the 4 double A's. I think the fan was on clearance at Wally World for $3 years ago. The original mod was for it to work in our popup TC on a Alaska trip 2 yrs ago.

I did like the sheet metal magic trick, a little misdirection. I will check my clearance and use this if there is any extra space. The efficiency gain would be worth the time invested. I know I have some alum flashing that will work easily in this situation.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just leave mine on auto and it seems to work just fine. I have ice and cold beer what more could one ask for.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Have you read this thread? Did same on my pop-up ten years ago and it really helps.

Nevercold now very cold, east fix

Otherwise I would run the 2-way fridge on propane for best efficiency. They were designed to be run on propane with the 120v heater as a convenience add-on.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plus if really hot run the ACs to cool the inside, but doubtful that it gets that hot is Salem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Small fans blowing fresh air up the stack where the reefer coils are. Brings my reefer down a solid 5 degrees
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape