cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new potential buyer, looking for insight.

image360
Explorer
Explorer
I've just started my research into buying a Class A RV. 40+ feet. I plan to make it my home for 3-5 years. I do plan to travel some during that period, but I guess you would call me for the most part a parker? Mostly in Austin, TX area. Please be kind the RV terms are new to me.

I'm a professional photographer, so I need a quite of bit of storage, so a basement is required.

I also plan to attach a motorized pole that can go up to 30 meters to the RV, not sure if some models are better suited to this or not.

I plan to have a Dingy? A car towed behind the RV.

For the most part it will only be me, living in it. Perhaps a rescue dog and/or cat too.

I plan to buy used and am trying to stay below $250,000 as a budget.

I also don't really like most traditional RV interior design. I like mid century modern design. I don't care for carpet, lots of wood cabinets, large over stuffed chairs or sofas. I'm not saying these are bad or wrong, it's just not what I'm looking for.

I need 50 amps with 5 or more outlets. I travel with a lot of "super" computers and 2-4 large LCD monitors.

Gas or diesel?

What else am I missing?

Looking forward to a new location free life.

Robert
28 REPLIES 28

steveownby
Explorer
Explorer
image360 wrote:
Thanks all for the info and suggestions. It's a good start for me, and yes I plan to research this for at least 3-4 months before doing anything. It's a long road of course - pun intended.

Is driving around 1-2 months of the year with a schedule like 4-6 weeks in one place, then 5-10 days driving considered a "parker?" Would that be enough to keep the mechanical's in good shape?

With your budget, I would look for a top line diesel pusher in the 2005 range. With your interior requirements, I would take it go a first class RV remodel business in Elkhart, IN and have the interior done to your satisfaction.

Call Jack Harris at Mastertech in Elkhart. 866-895-4556. Very professional and can do anything you want with interior.
Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
image360 wrote:
So typical of forum members that do not what to THINK about possible new ways. I've not posted or viewed this forum before my OP. And yea, I think green enhancements are a extremely good thing. Do any of you care about your grand children? Are you all still climate change denier?

I want to thank those that actually gave some very good advice, much appreciated.

From what I've seen, I believe my best option is to find a well built coach and gut it to what I want.

And yea, a 30 meter or 90 foot pole (for those that can't do simple math here) is for photography, which is how I make my living. It's simply another platform to use to make images that can't be otherwise taken. If you doubt even this, just do a google search on high pole photography supports.

Personally, I see where you are coming from and where you want to go.

But really, living in a motorhome is actually pretty green in itself. We are living in a much smaller space, conserve water, use much less electricity compared to a small house. Solar panels can generate plenty of electricity if you buy enough of them.

If you are full-timing, there are no property taxes or maintenance of a stick and brick. Depending how much you drive the motorhome will require immediate or extended maintenance. It's something you can control.

BTW, I'm an accountant and born in the USA, we generally never use the measurement of meters so I really didn't know how long 30 meters were. Now I know it's 90 ft. What's wrong with using feet as a measurement?

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the best thing would be a retired BlueBird school bus and just pull all the seats out and convert it to what ever you want inside. Buy a used Thomas or Bluebird and do a conversion on it to fit exactly what you want. Because all these new or used motorhomes would have too much glitz for what you need. What you are looking for is a working platform and a place where you can sleep and cook you own food. Nothing fancy. And those chassis and body would be well built.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
image360 wrote:
So typical of forum members that do not what to THINK about possible new ways. I've not posted or viewed this forum before my OP. And yea, I think green enhancements are a extremely good thing. Do any of you care about your grand children? Are you all still climate change denier?

I want to thank those that actually gave some very good advice, much appreciated.

From what I've seen, I believe my best option is to find a well built coach and gut it to what I want.

Gutting out a used/new one does not make things greener, it will still need lots of fuel to move it down the road, solar panels is about as green as you can get these gas hog machines, if your so keen on green than get a Prius and tow a tent camper..

The only reason I made the comment about this being a similar post was because there was about a month ago a newbie asking the very same thing as you and he was even a free lance photo taker asking about motorhomes with the very same upgrades, but his budget was less, maybe its a new thing for you free lance people, not sure..

🙂

image360
Explorer
Explorer

And yea, a 30 meter or 90 foot pole (for those that can't do simple math here) is for photography, which is how I make my living. It's simply another platform to use to make images that can't be otherwise taken. If you doubt even this, just do a google search on high pole photography supports.

kitch251
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to give me a call...........we are getting out of the RV scene due to age. I have a great Phaeton.

Jim
803-649-2977

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at green construction, I would look at the Evergreen fifth wheels. We had one of their trailers and it was well made. They have a good web site you can look at.

If you want a Class A (which I can understand :-)), the newer ones have the tile floors in the main living area. I would just go look at lots and lots of them before making a decision. Also be sure and buy the best you can in quality.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
2bzy2c wrote:
I think there is a lot of fertilizer in this thread.

His post seems really familiar like was mentioned above.
A 30 meter pole? Really?

Yep that's my take as well, just another troll with nothing else to do..

:B

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there is a lot of fertilizer in this thread.

His post seems really familiar like was mentioned above.
A 30 meter pole? Really?
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
Well the green machine the OP speaks about aren't out there because the RV industry is in the business to make money. They build what sells. So if that means fat leather chairs, solid wood cabinets and tile floors, well that is what their customers want. Many many class A RV'ers do adapt solar panels to their rigs to dry camp, especially those through out the south west, but to mass produce, that would be to expensive for a limited market. If the OP wants a rig that will last I fail to see where "green" construction and materials is going to help him. Perhaps he can dump his tanks into a larger tank and use the waste material to make fertilizer in his spare time.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
image360 wrote:
timmac,

No that's not me, I'm new here, but what the F does it matter any way? What is your point? I'm looking for help on intelligent suggestions for what I want, guess your not much use for that. Really!

Yep your going to go far here, as to your questions you need to go to rv dealerships and start looking around, you won't find one the way you have explained in your OP but a custom one just might be out there with your taste, who knows, if your by yourself than no real need of a 40+ footer, especially if you have never drove one, a 35 footer would work just fine, and a gas model would do better sitting around than a diesel model..

Better watch how much you spend, $200,000 buys a lot of motorhome but if you decide to not travel selling a motorhome for that much is hard and be ready to take a bath.

A gas motorhome 33ft to 36ft with 2 slides about 5 years old in good condition can be had for around $65,000 + or -, that's your best way to go for a 1st time RV'er..

That's my 2 cents..

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
image360 wrote:
timmac,

No that's not me, I'm new here, but what the F does it matter any way? What is your point? I'm looking for help on intelligent suggestions for what I want, guess your not much use for that. Really!
A couple have mentioned it sort of but you won't find the modern look in a Class A unless you get a custom Prevost or Newell and those are a LOT more than $250k. New Horizons RV DOES makes custom 5th wheels. I would give them a call.

image360
Explorer
Explorer
timmac,

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
image360 wrote:
I've just started my research into buying a Class A RV. 40+ feet. I plan to make it my home for 3-5 years. I do plan to travel some during that period, but I guess you would call me for the most part a parker? Mostly in Austin, TX area. Please be kind the RV terms are new to me.

I'm a professional photographer, so I need a quite of bit of storage, so a basement is required.

I also plan to attach a motorized pole that can go up to 30 meters to the RV, not sure if some models are better suited to this or not.

I plan to have a Dingy? A car towed behind the RV.

For the most part it will only be me, living in it. Perhaps a rescue dog and/or cat too.

I plan to buy used and am trying to stay below $250,000 as a budget.

I also don't really like most traditional RV interior design. I like mid century modern design. I don't care for carpet, lots of wood cabinets, large over stuffed chairs or sofas. I'm not saying these are bad or wrong, it's just not what I'm looking for.

I need 50 amps with 5 or more outlets. I travel with a lot of "super" computers and 2-4 large LCD monitors.

Gas or diesel?

What else am I missing?

Looking forward to a new location free life.

Robert

Don't take this wrong but was there not a post similar to this about a month or 2 ago from a newbie, he even said he was needing lots of eclectic for computers and said he was a free lance photographer but was on a very tight budget, but you seem to have a much larger budget ??

Hmm... :h