cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A successful trip in an old Class A

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
OK, it was only about 450 miles round trip, but I thought a trip with absolutely no problems was worth reporting.
Except, of course, for weather. It rained most of today, and all yesterday afternoon! We actually had to turn the furnace on (it did not smell like burning dust bunnys!)
It was great. Nothing bent, nothing broke, the frig kept the ice cream frozen and the wine cold, no flat tires, no engine or transmission problems, didn't hit a deer or antelope (not even a bird!).
The Famcamp at Malmstrom AFB was open (but without a camp host), and Thursday there was only one other rig there. When we left this morning, there were 3 fifth wheels and a truck camper. No problems with any of them.
We had a nice visit with the daughter and son in law, and of course, the grandkids.
the local Ham Radio club had a swapmeet on Saturday. I didn't see anything I really needed, though.
It was a great trip and a great weekend.
Except for the cold and rain...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"
16 REPLIES 16

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
IMO, if a vehicle qualifies for PERMANENT registration due to age, it qualifies as "old".
Next year, everything I own will be "old".

NJ just did away with emissions testing for pre-OBD II (1996 and older) vehicles - including the big ones. My '84 is now exempt. Bye-bye "FAILED" sticker! And yes, it's old. But it's a tried and true platform. It's all in the maintenance.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I consider ours "Old-er." But yeah, it is a good feeling to return home without anything breaking or going wrong!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If that is old look at my signature.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Haha! I guess one person's "old" is another person's (me) spring chicken! Congratulations on a successful trip. I know people with 2015 coaches that have the same feeling of relief after a good trip, btw.

chris
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, if a vehicle qualifies for PERMANENT registration due to age, it qualifies as "old".
Next year, everything I own will be "old".
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
mpierce wrote:
Glad your trip went well. "Old" is in perspective. Ours also is a 1990. Still not "old", but getting there. I figure RV needs to be 25 years old, or older, to be "old".

Ummm...I hate to break this to you, but your RV is "old" now per your definition of "old." :W

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We got and "old" 2004 Winnebago last Oct. We went 3200 miles last fall and 4300 miles this spring. Every thing went fine, and I don't have much to do but regular service. Should I be disappointed?

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best kind. I measure my trips in a similar manner, trouble free. lol
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Glad your trip went well. "Old" is in perspective. Ours also is a 1990. Still not "old", but getting there. I figure RV needs to be 25 years old, or older, to be "old".

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
You shouldn't have said anything. Next trip will be a Duzzi!!!

ROTFLMAO
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have said anything. Next trip will be a Duzzi!!!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, our "new" coach is a 2002. Before that we had a 1975 GMC Glenbrook. Our 2002 has a 128,000 miles on it and is not even close to being "old". I was just doing stuff on it today to get ready for an 8,000 mile trip.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same feeling every time I put our 1989 HR back to bed at the storage yard.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, it's nice to hear about a successful, no problem trip.

From reading the forum we get the impression that every time we get more than 10 miles from home everything breaks down or falls apart.

I'm sure the vast majority of RV trips are relatively trouble free.
We just hear about the problem trips.