cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accordion shower door question

Hoyt_shooter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone...Had a question I was hoping someone could help me with. I am interested in replacing my shower curtain with an Accordion type but my problem is that my opening is 25" wide and the door I am interested in is 36"... My question is about "how much room will I loose of my 25" opening when the door is opened"? I guess what I am asking, is my 25" opening going to go down several inches?
I did a "Yahoo" search and couldn't find an answer and was hoping someone "with one" may know
Thanks for the help...
12 REPLIES 12

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, how much opening do you lose with the door folded?

When mine was installed it was a little long and the bottom dragged on the bottom of the opening. I cut a little off, just enough so it doesn't drag, and it works much better.

Glad to hear you are pleased with the product. Thanks for posting the follow-up.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Traveler_60
Explorer
Explorer
Received my Newline SHUB screen shower door today. Took about 2hrs to install and looks very good. Weighed a fraction of the old door and operates very smooth. Time will tell as far as durability goes, but the unit has a 5 year warranty. from what I see, I would recommend this product:)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I just measured my shower. The shower opening without the accordion door is 30". The door folds to 3" leaving an opening of 27", so I have lost 10%. Seems acceptable to me.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

racephoto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link to the roller shower, that is pretty cool and I may look into that. I currently have the accordion door in my PC Cruiser and hate it. I was looking at the Extend-a-shower rod to replace it but that roller shower may be better.

I think with a 36" door in a 25" track you are going to have an issue with the folds not flattening out enough. Which, depending on the installation, could allow water to drain outside the tub. Just something to think about.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If your flimsy show curtain gets sucked in when showering an easy fix is to buy a better/heavier shower curtain. We buy one with a clear top to allow in light. It is sold by Hospi-Tel and is their Clearview line.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Hoyt_shooter
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Yes, you will 4-6 inches with this style.
Pleated shower door

Lol.. So do I...Thanks for the reply

Hoyt_shooter
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Pleated shower door

Great thanks for the info....

Hoyt_shooter
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Why do you want to make this change?

Cuz I hate the look of the "cheesy" curtain that is in it....

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Our 24' Itasca came with an accordion style shower door. Because when it is closed the pleats are not stretched tight it takes up shower stall space.
I have thought some of replacing it with one of these http://www.newlinebathroom.com/ . It is like a roll up window shade but stood on it's end. Has anyone used on of them?

Hoyt shooter, you might want to consider one.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want to make this change?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Pleated shower door

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish I was home to measure ours, but I'd guess 4-5-inch loss. They fold pretty tight. We have two accordion doors. One on Shower, the other to Bedroom. They came from Irvine Shade and Door in Elkart. At the time I needed a new "latch" thy didn't have this website and the wonderful folk at MakariosRV Unabashed Plug! ran down a name and phone number for me.
I'm sure if you look at the Irvine website, or call them, you can get all the help and info you need. The person I spoke to at Irvine was very cordial and helpful.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB