cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Cruise Control

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I just signed a contract to purchase a 2015 Newmar King Aire on Friday. One option that I declined was Adaptive Cruise Control. I'm thinking it was the right decision, but I wanted some opinions from this group before eliminating this possibility:

Here's what I was thinking:

Pros:
  • Automatically sets the distance when coming up on slower vehicles and using cruise control.

Cons:
  • There is no way to turn the system off. It beeps all the time when approaching other vehicles.
  • It's an $8,000 option.
  • There is no side collision warning that could be useful.
  • I drive for fuel economy and not speed so I rarely come up on anyone.

I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who have experience with the system or similar systems. I hope we can avoid comments about how your DW functions as your collision avoidance system.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
42 REPLIES 42

Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
427435 wrote:

Well, I didn't pay $6000 for it as it was standard equipment on a reasonably priced car. As I pointed out earlier, I like mine, but there is no way that it is worth $6000.

and those folks who supposedly can't shut theirs off, it isn't worth $1.00. but you paid for that "standard" equipment. 🙂
JMHO
bumpy

Well, I can turn mine off-------------and I'm sure there is a way to turn off the CC on these MH's as well.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:

Well, I didn't pay $6000 for it as it was standard equipment on a reasonably priced car. As I pointed out earlier, I like mine, but there is no way that it is worth $6000.

and those folks who supposedly can't shut theirs off, it isn't worth $1.00. but you paid for that "standard" equipment. 🙂
JMHO
bumpy

DeWat
Explorer
Explorer
I have used it on a friend's coach. It is nice, but I personally would save my money. As already mentioned, in heavy traffic on a coach it causes those holes that invite so many 4-wheelers to just jump in front of you.
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH

Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
427435 wrote:

However, in that kind of traffic, I just go back to the old-fashioned way, turn the CC off and control the throttle myself.

and paid $6,000 to do it? but some folks here say they can't turn it off. that would be a horrid nuisance.
bumpy

Mark

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
While I'm not what one would consider a techno nerd by any means, I do enjoy much of the new technology whether in mobile devices, computers and vehicles. However, having said that, I've never been too crazy about anything that I can't bypass, override or shut off at my own discretion - especially when it comes to the propulsion of a motor vehicle.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sounds to me like it would be a mess in any type of congested traffic where it would be beneficial and would work great in the great plains where it wouldn't be needed. what does it cost to replace the computer in it?
I think if I paid $8,000 for it I would express "love" for it also.
bumpy

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
427435 wrote:

However, in that kind of traffic, I just go back to the old-fashioned way, turn the CC off and control the throttle myself.

and paid $6,000 to do it? but some folks here say they can't turn it off. that would be a horrid nuisance.
bumpy

I HIGHLY doubt they cannot turn off the cruise control. Rush hour aggressive traffic probably isn't the place for any sort of cruise control.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:

bumpy

Explorer
Explorer
bob_b wrote:
I have the Active Cruise on my BMW. What a big PIA that thing is. I wished that I could switch it back to Manual. In my area of southeastern PA, it doesn't work well in the (almost) bumper to bumper traffic of the pa turnpike. It won't get close enough to the car in front of you so as to keep other cars from cutting in front. When a car cuts in front, my brakes are applied until the distance become long enough. The brake lights anger the people in back of you and now the car is moving slower. This process repeats itself until you are going way too slow and causing a dangerous traffic condition. In short: It just doesn't work and you don't want it. I would have paid extra to Not have it.

My adaptive cruise (Hyundai Genesis) does the same-------but I understand why. In that kind of traffic, a regular cruise would need to be constantly adjusted or kicked off with the brakes. With the Genesis, I can over-ride the CC and get closer (tail gate) in traffic where someone might cut in. However, in that kind of traffic, I just go back to the old-fashioned way, turn the CC off and control the throttle myself.
Mark

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I have had adaptive cruse control on my last two Jeep Grand Cherokee's. It doesn't make any excessive beeping and I like the way it works on the highway. I can turn it off or on and I can select from three activation distances. It sound like other vehicles are not so flexible.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
bob_b wrote:
I have the Active Cruise on my BMW. What a big PIA that thing is. I wished that I could switch it back to Manual. In my area of southeastern PA, it doesn't work well in the (almost) bumper to bumper traffic of the pa turnpike. It won't get close enough to the car in front of you so as to keep other cars from cutting in front. When a car cuts in front, my brakes are applied until the distance become long enough. The brake lights anger the people in back of you and now the car is moving slower. This process repeats itself until you are going way too slow and causing a dangerous traffic condition. In short: It just doesn't work and you don't want it. I would have paid extra to Not have it.

I guess they need a rush hour traffic tailgating setting. I understand what you are talking about though and can definitely see that getting old quick.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The beeping can be annoying, Too bad you can not disable it (Ok so I can but you do not want to know how and I do not want to tell you, voids warranty).

Frankly.. Since as I tell folks the RV life style is about stopping to smell the roses. not burnemis upemis roademis (Getting there fast)... I tend to be one of the slower vehicles on the freeway.. THIS Does not, however, mean I never come up on someones' tail (Happens every traffic jam).

Oh, I invested a few bucks in a nice COBRA CB.. A while back it told me of an impending traffic jam.. I managed an EXIT just as they closed the companion entrance to the freeway.. I kind of feel sorry for the folks in front and behind me who did not have a CB and thus got stuck in the jam. (2 fatal crashes 3 miles ahead, it was already a 3 mile backup cause we saw it from the overpass). now that.. Was handy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mdprince
Explorer
Explorer
I, like the poster above, have it (Adaptive Cruise Control) in one of my cars. I love it ! The beep, can be turned off, and the follow distance set. It's not for heavy stop and go traffic - shuts off at 20 mph. But, on normal freeway driving, if someone ahead is going slower than you, it will slow down (forward looking radar) and pace that vehicle. When the vehicle pulls over or I switch lanes, my car goes back up to the preset speed.

People are always pulling in front of coaches anyway (if we leave the correct braking distance), I'm already conceding that.

I would like to try driving a coach with it, one day !! But, like heated seats, it's one of those things I like to have on a car.
2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)