cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aftermarket water temp gauge reads low due to wire length

zoro4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm working on a rear engine RV and installed a new water temp gauge and I noticed it's reading low by atleast 10*F. Called the gauge supplier and they assure me it's due to the long wire length but they really weren't sure how to deal with it.

My question is how do I correct the issue? Is there a resistor or something I can wire inline? There is a mechanical gauge on the engine so I know how hot it actually is running.
20 REPLIES 20

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
Not the same type gauge but when I installed a Isspro pyrometer with 40' of extension wire I called Isspro to see what that long extension would do to the reading. They said it would make it read higher by .1%. The wire was exterior phone cable about 24 ga.

Jim
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry Zoro, I was thinking of another gauge....old age I guess...but bump up your wire size to 14ga and your problem will go away....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
How do you know which gauge is correct? Just because it's a mechanical gauge does not mean it's absolutely correct. A differential of 10F between gauges would probably fall within the reasonable range of tolerances.

Most gauges are not extremely precise. They are intended to give the operator a good idea of how well the engine is operating relative to the values they are reporting, but usually they do not provide extremely fine readings. A 10F error would not be considered out of line, generally speaking. That's why when one sees a gauge getting close to red line it's usually time to stop and find the problem.

Having said that, for really long runs between the electric sender and gauge, a larger diameter wire would be a very good idea. The exception would be if the gauge is intended for rear-engine RVs, in which case it should come with an appropriately sized wire (but I wouldn't depend on it sometimes).

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Run the best quality 16 or 14 gauge wire you can buy. Judge the quality by the number of strands in the wire, more strands the better, also more flexible.

zoro4
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
If they're saying it's because of the wire length, what they're really saying is the wire GAUGE is too SMALL. If you're using 18ga, bump it up to 14ga. If 16GA bump it to 12ga. You could also use a relay if you've already wired it.....Dennis

Dennis-
Running 18ga wiring.

How would a relay help me out? The gauge measures resistance across a thermocouple and the long run of wire is between the thermocouple and gauge.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they're saying it's because of the wire length, what they're really saying is the wire GAUGE is too SMALL. If you're using 18ga, bump it up to 14ga. If 16GA bump it to 12ga. You could also use a relay if you've already wired it.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG