cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Tabs

kenrhilbert
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at AD regarding a product called AirTabs. Claims to improve handling and gas milage. Has anyone used this product and how did it live up to its hype. I have not seen any on RVs or tractor trailers during my travels.
27 REPLIES 27

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
They stick to the coach with double sided tape. They will come off as would any double sided tape.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
bluwtr49 wrote:
I hadn't thought about trying to paint them myself. Either white or black would stick out like a sore thumb but a spray paint might do it if I could get a color match. Something to look into.

Are the tab easily removable???

Mine have been on for several years and I don't think they are easily removable. The 3M double sided tape is very good at bonding the AirTabs to a clean surface.
Not sure why you would want to remove them other than to move them to another vehicle. In that case, I think it would be easier to just shell out the $200 for a new set.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hadn't thought about trying to paint them myself. Either white or black would stick out like a sore thumb but a spray paint might do it if I could get a color match. Something to look into.

Are the tab easily removable???
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
The technology looks interesting and might be worth a try but the cost of installation and painting to match the coach is a tough nut.....probably 3K or so.

Dick,

Krylon Fusion Paint works very well on them. And, with the selection of colors they offer, you can get VERY close for a couple of bucks.

Installation is certainly an easy do it yourself. Comes with a gig for spacing.

But, would be happy to install them for you for $3k!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
bluwtr49 wrote:
The technology looks interesting and might be worth a try but the cost of installation and painting to match the coach is a tough nut.....probably 3K or so.

If you don't mind black or white, there is no painting and the installation by the owner only takes a few hours using the supplied template. Just clean the surface and stick them to the coach with the pre-applied double sided tape.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have them on my Class C,they do nothing for mileage but do a great job in stability and cross winds and keeping the rear of the RV clean.

Air tabs
Also a few threads on the subject.

HERE

And HERE
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
MountainAir05 wrote:
Had them on Military aircraft that I worked on but can see how you are going to get that fast on a land Vehicle.

I don't know of too many vortec generators on any aircraft that are designed for high speed. Most are designed to improve the low speed performance, such as decreasing the stall speed, or improving the lift, by improving the air flow over the wings.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had them on Military aircraft that I worked on but can see how you are going to get that fast on a land Vehicle.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
kenrhilbert wrote:
Looking at AD regarding a product called AirTabs. Claims to improve handling and gas milage. Has anyone used this product and how did it live up to its hype. I have not seen any on RVs or tractor trailers during my travels.

If you haven't seen them on tractor trailers you haven't been looking very hard as I see them all the time. They would never be seen on my motorhome as I don't drive it 100,000 miles a year so it would be silly. Also I am not fond of the look but to each his own.

Can't say I've seen more than a handful of OTR trucks with them.
2013 ACE 29.2

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
kenrhilbert wrote:

If you haven't seen them on tractor trailers you haven't been looking very hard as I see them all the time. They would never be seen on my motorhome as I don't drive it 100,000 miles a year so it would be silly. Also I am not fond of the look but to each his own.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The quickest way to answer the question is to search this Forum for either airtabs or air tabs.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had them on two coaches and would put them on a third. They do help keep the toad and rear of the coach cleaner and they help the stability on the highway and in windy conditions. If they improve mileage, I can't say since I don't keep track of my fuel mileage. I bought them for the handling improvement, not for any slight increase in mileage they may offer. For the cost of lees than a tank of fuel, I felt they are worth the cost.
Personally I have seen them on quite a few vehicles. Most people are not looking for them and since they can be painted to match the color of the rig, they go unnoticed.