cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All DEF fluid is the same right?

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I was forced to buy a different brand than I usually do.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
9 REPLIES 9

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Flanz....Here you go.....DEF

And again....DEF

I guess you could have done this.....

You're correct, I could have, but since I don't use DEF I was just curious and figured someone else had already done it.

Thanks for providing the info. When I do purchase a DP this will be one thing I don't have to go searching for....

-paul

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
All the same except the DEF that I personally produce and then it depends on how much beer I drank for the %age of urea content.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Light and heat are its enemy. I have ran several different brands in my GMC.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Flanz wrote:
Bob & Ann wrote:
It is said to be the same which I believe that it is. What is important is that it is fresh as it does not have a long shelf life. It also breaks down quicker in hot climates.

Is there a date code on the bottle/container? Do you have something that states it breaks down quicker in hotter climates? Please provide a site that claims this since I've never seen this.

-paul

It is published everywhere. Just do a search.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid, otherwise known as automotive-grade urea, is a very stable product with a comparatively long shelf life. According to industry sources:
DEF storage containers from Terra IndustriesDEF storage containers from Terra Industries
โ€ข If Diesel Exhaust Fluid is kept to temperatures between 10 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit, it will last a minimum of 1 year without problems.
โ€ข Big bulk dispensers (1,000 gallons) have internal climate control systems.
โ€ข In cold temperature regions it is recommended to store Diesel Exhaust Fluid in a storage unit. In warm temperature regions it is recommended to store Diesel Exhaust Fluid in a shaded area.
โ€ข New climate control systems specifically for Diesel Exhaust Fluid are being developed.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Flanz....Here you go.....DEF

And again....DEF

I guess you could have done this.....
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:
It is said to be the same which I believe that it is. What is important is that it is fresh as it does not have a long shelf life. It also breaks down quicker in hot climates.

Is there a date code on the bottle/container? Do you have something that states it breaks down quicker in hotter climates? Please provide a site that claims this since I've never seen this.

-paul

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I guess so. I have not had to think about it until now. I just buy the cheapest.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
It's supposed to be the same to meet government standards. According to my owner's manual, if poor quality DEF is used the driver info center will display the following message:
"EXHAUST FLUID QUALITY POOR - SEE OWNERS MANUAL NOW โ€“ 160 KM (99 MI) UNTIL 105 KM/H (65 MPH) MAX SPEED"
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds