cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Blowout!

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
So........ brand new tire.... date code 22-14...... driving to Charleston, SC on I-95.... we start smelling hot rubber. We pull off the interstate and check the tires. Everything looks great. Get back on the highway and less than 5 miles down the road we blow the tire....the SAME one that blew and was replaced less than 2 months and less tha 500 miles ago.

This time it took down the engine tailpipe, the generator tailpipe, and a wiring bundle that I haven't even begun to figure out what it controls. A little body damage and a whole lot of personal grief and insecurity for the 350 mile trip home. PLUS....I'm losing a couple of days on my vacation to get the repairs done.

Goodyear G647. I checked the pressures before we left this morning. Everything properly aired up. No big load...just a weekend trip. The technician that replaced the tire roadside said the tire itself was faulty....the steel belts were rusted inside the tire and the sidewall easily peeled down like pulling your bottom lip. Obviously VERY frustrated...especially after paying over $1K to have one tire replaced! And this is the second one replaced in less than two months. WTH???!!!!!!! Goodyear has got some 'splainin to do!!!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
62 REPLIES 62

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
My most recent trip with the MH was in October heading to Florida. The outside temperature was in the mid 70's. I took tire temp readings at two times during the day. The tire temp range was between 110 and 118 degrees. The tires on the sunny side would run about 4 or 5 degrees hotter.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
toban wrote:
I have 275/70/22.5 Michelins XZA 2 LRJ rating.

Using an infrared gun, what should the approx tire temperature be after running at 60 MPH on the highway when you stop at 75 degs outside? Pressure on fronts 115 PSI and on the back 100 PSI

Anyone know?

Toban

With an IR gun, you are not looking for a specific temperature. You are looking for the one tire that is running hotter than the others. This indicates you have some kind of a problem that needs a more thorough inspection.

toban
Explorer
Explorer
I have 275/70/22.5 Michelins XZA 2 LRJ rating.

Using an infrared gun, what should the approx tire temperature be after running at 60 MPH on the highway when you stop at 75 degs outside? Pressure on fronts 115 PSI and on the back 100 PSI

Anyone know?

Toban

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
So have you checked with your insurance company to see if they will cover any of the damages?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
ssia2485 wrote:
I looked that tire up on their web site. There are 2 different load range tires in that type. Hopefully you had the heavier load range. Even that looks to be a fairly light duty tire for what you are doing with it. What is the weight on the rear axle. If it is much more than 60% of the tire rating you will have problems. That's why most of the bigger rigs went to 22.5 truck tires. Motor homes exert a lot of force on the rear tires due to the long overhang in the rear. You might want to look at a heavier duty tire.

Mine are the 245/70R19.5 G. The load range for them on Goodyear's web site is 4,410 in a dual configuration. Single max load is 4,540. The speed rating is listed at 75mph. So with that, at max cold inflation of 110psi, each rear dual wheel configuration should be capable of carrying a max load of 8,820lbs for a total of 17,640lbs on the rear axle.

Bridgestone lists comparable load ranges and Michelin is actually less load.

ssia2485
Explorer
Explorer
I looked that tire up on their web site. There are 2 different load range tires in that type. Hopefully you had the heavier load range. Even that looks to be a fairly light duty tire for what you are doing with it. What is the weight on the rear axle. If it is much more than 60% of the tire rating you will have problems. That's why most of the bigger rigs went to 22.5 truck tires. Motor homes exert a lot of force on the rear tires due to the long overhang in the rear. You might want to look at a heavier duty tire.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
10forty2 wrote:
Well, just to report, we made it home safely without further incident. Now, the damage identification and repair estimates begin. And the whole hassle of it all....

.....not to mention ever getting my confidence back in driving a motorhome again so I can enjoy the reason I bought it in the first place....relaxation. I don't want to be on pins and needles every time I pull out of the driveway wondering if I'm going to make it to my destination and be able to make it back home safely. Not sure how I'll build my trust back.....

You build your trust back by just going on your next trip and understand that sometimes, stuff happens.
Those of us that are old enough, and poor enough, grew up with recaps on our vehicles. We got used to blowouts and tread separation. This was back when new tires had a 6-12 month warranty and new vehicles had a 12 month warranty.
The tires available now are so much better and so reliable that it is really not something to agonize over. Just check your air pressure each morning before you hit the road and then just continue with your trips.
With the tread separation like you experienced, without the loss of air, a TPMS may or may not have helped.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Well, just to report, we made it home safely without further incident. Now, the damage identification and repair estimates begin. And the whole hassle of it all....

.....not to mention ever getting my confidence back in driving a motorhome again so I can enjoy the reason I bought it in the first place....relaxation. I don't want to be on pins and needles every time I pull out of the driveway wondering if I'm going to make it to my destination and be able to make it back home safely. Not sure how I'll build my trust back.....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
As to Goodyear stepping up.......

Had a G614 that was 3 1/2 yrs old blowout (boom......large hole them separation)

thread slapping around torn out waste tank drain piping (dirty shower time for those behind us), tore up wheel well skirting, side marker light, under side of slide out.

Called Goodyear.....filed claim.
Bought new tire (sent copy of receipt)
Had repairs done at factory (quickest/easiest to get it done)
Goodyear reimbursed me for tire ($312)
Goodyear paid factory directly for repairs. ($2500)

Biggest issues was having to haul torn up tire to tire shop. Difficult to load into truck with all the thread flapping around and the steel cords trying to stab me.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
olfarmer wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
OP, please correct if I have this wrong. You blew the inside dual tire probably because of age. You replaced all of the tires with new tires. You had a tread separation on the outside new tire with a date code of 2214.

Yes, that is the way I read the posts. Sounds like Goodyear needs to step up to the plate! There is no way to blame that kind of failure on the owner. He put on all new tires, they were properly inflated, and it sure doesn't sound like it was overloaded.

"They were properly inflated". Maybe, maybe not. There could have been a leaking valve stem, rim or tire. You could check the pressure, and have a leak minutes later which would cause pressure loss, excessive heat build up, and tire delamination. If Goodyear performs a detailed evaluation of the tire, they'll probably have a pretty good idea of what happened. This is another case that justifies the use of a TPMS unit.

The tire still had air in it AFTER the tread separated!

I stand corrected! To me, a "blowout" has always been a rapid loss of air pressure. I've always called your situation a tread or belt separation. Thanks for the clarification.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Had an inside dual blow out last year. $2,000 to put on a new tire and tow it to a dealer. $10,000 to repair all the house wiring that got wrapped around the axle and had been ripped out of main control panel.

AAA paid for the whole thing so I was a happy camper.

Have you contacted your insurance company?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
olfarmer wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
OP, please correct if I have this wrong. You blew the inside dual tire probably because of age. You replaced all of the tires with new tires. You had a tread separation on the outside new tire with a date code of 2214.

Yes, that is the way I read the posts. Sounds like Goodyear needs to step up to the plate! There is no way to blame that kind of failure on the owner. He put on all new tires, they were properly inflated, and it sure doesn't sound like it was overloaded.

"They were properly inflated". Maybe, maybe not. There could have been a leaking valve stem, rim or tire. You could check the pressure, and have a leak minutes later which would cause pressure loss, excessive heat build up, and tire delamination. If Goodyear performs a detailed evaluation of the tire, they'll probably have a pretty good idea of what happened. This is another case that justifies the use of a TPMS unit.

That's not surprising really, I have had that happen before.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
olfarmer wrote:
Ivylog wrote:

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
olfarmer wrote:
Ivylog wrote:

A TST TPMS will be on board and installed before the next trip. Also, to clarify, the tire that separated never lost air pressure. It was still aired up when the tech removed the valve stem. It did cause the valve stem of the inner dually to be compromised and that one leaked down after stopping, but again the outer that separated NEVER lost pressure.

I'v second guessed myself on practically everything that could be a potential problem and there is nothing that I did or do not do that could have caused it to fail like that. In fact, it was the technician that immediately saw the problem spot and where he felt was the culprit.

Here is a photo of the technician pointing out the problems spot he found before he removed the carcass from the wheel.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Ivylog wrote:

2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)