cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any problems with 3.0 V6 Mercedes engine on Class B Van

Lupie
Explorer
Explorer
We are wanting to purchase a Roadtrek, Pleasure Way or Winnebago Era van. Our mechanic has said to stay away from the 3.0 V6 diesel and look for an older van with the straight 5. The harmonic balancer goes out causing the engine to vibrate and self destruct. It is difficult to find an older van with the straight 5. Any comments or opinions? We are new to RVing.
15 REPLIES 15

avanti
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
If the "regular" mechanic can document that they performed all required maintenance according to the Mercedes Benz service schedule and used specified parts and fluids, then why not?

Correct.

A lot of us do our own maintenance. Oil changes, especially, are very easy. You can save a lot of money. Just keep good records.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
If the "regular" mechanic can document that they performed all required maintenance according to the Mercedes Benz service schedule and used specified parts and fluids, then why not?
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Can the V6 Sprinter be serviced and maintained by a regular mechanic or must it be a factory trained technician?

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
I have the I5. They are good engines and give long life. However, I would recommend going for the V6 because of the additional power and quietness. Also, the newer models have many improvements over the 2006 and earlier models. I second the use of the proper oil. On the other hand if you go for an older model you will enjoy it if you choose carefully.

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
You won't go wrong with a Pleasure Way with a Ford gas engine, V-8 or V-10. We are on our 2nd PW with a Ford engine. Both have been flawless. It takes a lot of miles for the fuel savings of a diesel engine to pay out. If you are starting with a used rig, it probably never will for you.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Lupie wrote:
We are wanting to purchase a Roadtrek, Pleasure Way or Winnebago Era van. Our mechanic has said to stay away from the 3.0 V6 diesel and look for an older van with the straight 5. The harmonic balancer goes out causing the engine to vibrate and self destruct. It is difficult to find an older van with the straight 5. Any comments or opinions? We are new to RVing.

Your mechanic is an idiot. What else can I say? Model A Fords were extremely easy to work on. Anything built after was a pain .
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
Lupie wrote:

Hi! I'm not sure of the value of that advice on the I5. They are good engines but they have their own problems ( leaking seals on the injectors that lead to "Black Death" for one.) It hasn't been sold since 07/08 and is now 7 - 8 years long in the tooth. Most are going to have many miles on them. V6 turbo diesel is a very good engine. The big issue, stated elsewhere, is to absolutely only use the MB specification oil. To wit: 229.51 or 229.52 (now preferred). Not using the spec oil will positively lead to $$$$$$ repairs. Newer, 2014+ have a 15K miles oil change interval. The newer V6 uses better emissions control technology and require DEF fluid. I wouldn't not buy a V6. And, we've put maybe 12000 between two V6 Sprinter RVs. No issues!
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

pickerel_cove
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Winnebago ERA with MB 3.0 engine. We spent 3 weeks traveling out west last summer with fluctuating speeds and achieved nearly 20 when keeping our speed under 65 highway driving. We have been very happy with this engine however there is one very critical thing to know. This engine is from a 2008 chassis and the oil type requirements differ by year. Our Dodge dealership was totally unaware of this as was their MOPAR distributor. The oil they routinely use for all sprinters cannot be used in this engine as it is known to foul the DPF and potentially damage emissions related parts. Searches on this will show that this is a difficult problem to solve if the wrong oil type has been used. Would recommend asking for oil maintenance records and the owner's manual to validate proper oil type has been used.

avanti
Explorer
Explorer
People who prefer the old 5-cyl T1N engine generally do so because of its simpler (and, of course, less effective) emissions control system and its associated electronics. In this regard, it is no different from other modern diesels. Current production diesel engines require the occasional adding of DEF fluid, which reduces emissions. They are incredibly clean and well-behaved engines. I personally am more than happy to pay the small price to support a clean environment for our grandkids. Not everybody agrees. I used to own a T1N, and now own the new 4-cylinder engine (which IMO is even better than the 6). The current engines are far more refined. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I have never heard of HB issues.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Same old story: a mechanic experiences an engine failure, and then ALL the vehicles with that engine are junk.

There's certainly a lot of Sprinters around, both RV and truck. They're all gonna destruct?

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
If this were the case no one would buy them. I have a Sprinter with this engine and I won't hold my breath waiting for it to self destruct.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

busb2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Airstream sprinter with the engine. We had a 2009 Airstream with same engine and we are on our second Mercedes GL with same engines, all without a problem for past six years.
Country Coach Prevost, and Airstream Interstate B

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
the straight five is on T1N sprinter which is prior to 2007 model year.

it is a completley different van and has NO emissions equipment that was mandated in 2007.

it's mostly the emissions controls in the 2007 and past sprinters that cause the issues.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
HEY WE HAVE ONE . the last of the I 5 MB diesels. in a leisure travel van. BEST MH we ever owned. I,ve had class A,B C TT,TC and this is the best of them .my log book shows NOTHING under 20mpg . theres some out there just gotta hunt. BUT I to have been told the 5cyc is much better than the V6. and this came from a fed X mech. theres a club flamingo,S something in florida there on yahoo site some times I see one up for sale.