Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anybody removed van toilet/used porta potti

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anybody removed your vans toilet and replaced using porta potti
only.

although emptying via dump station is not really bad the major reason i'm considering it is the 10 gallon black tank fills to fast.

can dump porta potti in more places.
18 REPLIES 18

candlback
Explorer
Explorer
We use a plastic bag placed in the toilet for #2. The bag can be discretely disposed of anywhere. This keeps our black tank for #1 only and allows us to extend the time between dump sites.
By the way, when we get home the flowers get "watered" and there is very little smell.

There are many folding stools that use the plastic bag system too.
Candlback

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
The original toilet in my B was a recycling one, which used the contained liquids for flushing, and the stench was oppressive. I replaced it with a cassette toilet, which I use for #2, and can be poured down any toilet. For #1, I use a portable urinal from my kayaking days, and empty it in any toilet. If none is available, I have a grey water tank, so pour it down the bathroom sink. I know that is TMI, but has served me well travelling all over Mexico for the past 7 years.

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlts22 wrote:
Sportsmobile can upfit with a cassette toilet.

The problem with pulling the toilet is that it affects resale value unless it can be put back exactly as it was from the factory when it gets put on the market.

Cassette toilets have their pros and cons. One pro is that you can carry multiple empty cassettes with you, and dump them into pit/vault toilets. The con is that they get heavy and require chemicals to be dumped in them to deal with odor after emptying.

I am not going to pull the toilet. i am going to use a very small porta potti for #2.

probably dometic 972(2.6 gallon)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Sportsmobile can upfit with a cassette toilet.

The problem with pulling the toilet is that it affects resale value unless it can be put back exactly as it was from the factory when it gets put on the market.

Cassette toilets have their pros and cons. One pro is that you can carry multiple empty cassettes with you, and dump them into pit/vault toilets. The con is that they get heavy and require chemicals to be dumped in them to deal with odor after emptying.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Majestics have cassette toilets but can only be bought used after the rental company Cruise America is through with them.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks. It's too bad there are no Bs here in the states with cassette toilets.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
i started this thread just to find out if anybody did it. my thinking is that i'm going to be more a tourer than a camper. if i was a mostly camper i would not get a b.

regardless of whether i like dumping black tanks(i have done it) a 10 gallon black tank fills up fairly fast.

even if you have a macerator(the ranger does not) black tank usually has to be put in dump station-not going to stretch a hose into Mcdonald's.

just looking for flexibility. if i had a 40 gallon black tank would not be an issue.

thanks for any recomendations

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Porta pottis can be dumped in toilets. Black tanks must be dumped in dump stations so it doesn't matter that it fills fast. There are toilets everywhere.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster-10 gallon black tank fills too fast.
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster " can dump a portapotti in more places ".

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
eric1514 wrote:
I'm really not understanding this. You say your van has a 10 gallon black tank, yet you want to replace the toilet with a porta-potty with half or less that capacity.

You might save some on fresh water usage but you could easily get a gallon jug and flush with that. If you don't want to drive to the dump station, get a tote with wheels and download your black water into that. Many campgrounds will frown on you dumping your porta-potty down the toilets in their public restrooms, although I've done it with a cassette, but I've also been told no. If you're boondocking and want to take your wast into the forest and dig a hole, a tote would still work.

I'm really curious why you want to modify a brand new van. It's your van and you should do with it what you want. I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Eric

no, i'm going to use the small porta potty strictly for number 2. easy to dump any toilet. the blank tank will just be liquid

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really not understanding this. You say your van has a 10 gallon black tank, yet you want to replace the toilet with a porta-potty with half or less that capacity.

You might save some on fresh water usage but you could easily get a gallon jug and flush with that. If you don't want to drive to the dump station, get a tote with wheels and download your black water into that. Many campgrounds will frown on you dumping your porta-potty down the toilets in their public restrooms, although I've done it with a cassette, but I've also been told no. If you're boondocking and want to take your wast into the forest and dig a hole, a tote would still work.

I'm really curious why you want to modify a brand new van. It's your van and you should do with it what you want. I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Eric
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

RespondingBack
Explorer
Explorer
Europeans and others use cassette toilets where toilet is fixed but holding tank cassette is removable for dumping into those toilets, etc. Takes about same space as a porta-potti. Lots of flexibility in dumping. Cassette tank has wheels and handle so looks sorta like a wheeled suitcase.

New porta potti mentioned on other forums is the Thetford Curve--less odor supposedly.

CShells
Explorer
Explorer
We've always used portable chemical toilets. Odors have never been an issue. The tank is sealed well. We have a Thetford and a Dometic. (One in our trailer and the other in our van.) I prefer the Thetford manual flush over the Dometic pressure flush due to its quieter operation.