cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone flat towing a 2014 jeep cherokee yet?

et2
Explorer
Explorer
If so. Good. Bad, how do you like the car in general? Curious if there are base plates available yet.
18 REPLIES 18

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting here in Iowa while Demco designs and fabracates the baseplate for the Cherokee. So they should have one for sale soon
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Woo Hoo Snowing in Minneapolis, got to try out the 4 wheel drive, first car I have ever owned with 4 wheel drive. Had some fun
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
We were told the Cherokee does not come in Cashmere. Any body seen one, I know the Grand Cherokee comes in it, I drove one.

It's not available for the Trail Hawk but is supposed to be for the other three models.

I just called Chrysler and the Cashmere on the Cherokee is not available at least through the first quarter of 2014. They did not know anything beyond that.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
We were told the Cherokee does not come in Cashmere. Any body seen one, I know the Grand Cherokee comes in it, I drove one.

It's not available for the Trail Hawk but is supposed to be for the other three models.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Jeep Cherokee

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the updates on the 4x4 systems. You are correct the Trailhawk it is standard and a option on the limited (active II system). If you don't have the little neutral button next to the 4x4 switch it can't be towed 4 down.

So to recap, front wheel drive can be dolly towed, and the only 4x4 that can be flat towed has to have the active II drive train.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a Cherokee 4x4 and here are a few things I've learned.

When you go to the Jeep.com site to configure a vehicle it doesn't have all the color options available (for example it doesn't show Cashmere). I called Chrysler and they gave me this LINK which will give you a lot more detailed information regarding the packages and colors available.

When you go to the site:
Select Brands & Products
Select Jeep > (model) (in this case Cherokee) Scroll down to the bottom of the right side menu. You should see two selections: Feature Availability & Specifications

There are four models available: Sport, Latitude, Limited & Trail Hawk. The four cylinder engine is standard on all models, but the V6 option is only available on the Latitude, Limited & Trail Hawk

In order to flat tow it has to have the Active Drive II transmission. It is not available on the Sport, but is an option (at $995) on the Latitude & Limited, and standard on the Trail Hawk.

I test drove a four cylinder Latitude and a V6 Limited. The V6 is a $1,500 upgrade, and as a former street rodder, all I can say is it's well worth it.

I spoke with Blue Ox on Friday and they told me they have a Limited and a Trail Hawk due in within the next week or so to design a base plate. It then goes to engineering for review and where installation procedures are written. They figured they would have their base plate officially ready around the middle of January.

Good to know, thanks!

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of purchasing a Cherokee 4x4 and here are a few things I've learned.

When you go to the Jeep.com site to configure a vehicle it doesn't have all the color options available (for example it doesn't show Cashmere). I called Chrysler and they gave me this LINK which will give you a lot more detailed information regarding the packages and colors available.

When you go to the site:
Select Brands & Products
Select Jeep > (model) (in this case Cherokee) Scroll down to the bottom of the right side menu. You should see two selections: Feature Availability & Specifications

There are four models available: Sport, Latitude, Limited & Trail Hawk. The four cylinder engine is standard on all models, but the V6 option is only available on the Latitude, Limited & Trail Hawk

In order to flat tow it has to have the Active Drive II transmission. It is not available on the Sport, but is an option (at $995) on the Latitude & Limited, and standard on the Trail Hawk.

I test drove a four cylinder Latitude and a V6 Limited. The V6 is a $1,500 upgrade, and as a former street rodder, all I can say is it's well worth it.

I spoke with Blue Ox on Friday and they told me they have a Limited and a Trail Hawk due in within the next week or so to design a base plate. It then goes to engineering for review and where installation procedures are written. They figured they would have their base plate officially ready around the middle of January.

SacsTC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. There are two 4x4 trans for the Grand. One you can, same as the new Cherokee, there are two 4x4 options. The one that can be towed 4 down are only standard in the limited and trail hawk.

Not standard in the limited. $995.00 option..Called active drive 2. Trailhawk it does come standard, but not the limited...
1999 Damon Daybreak 3270
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I was a good kid, now I'm making up for it

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
roam1 wrote:
Not yet, DW is following me home till we get a baseplate.
And, just a reminder, the manual says no dolly towing, go figure

Page 537 of the owners manual says to can dolly tow the 2 wheel drive one with the front weels up

Sorry, I meant the 4x4 trailhawk is a no on dolly

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I was seriously thinking of trading in my Honda Pilot EXL for a Grand Cherokee, but when we were at the dealership they told me the one we were looking at was not towable four down, and then there was other things that turned me off like poor gas mileage, and it was even heavier then my Pilot which weighed 4200 lbs. So that is when I turned to Honda CRV which is a lot lighter and we love it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

et2
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
et2 wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
et2 wrote:
If so. Good. Bad, how do you like the car in general? Curious if there are base plates available yet.

I have owned one for about 3 weeks, love it, no one towing as nobody has a base plate for it yet.

Mine is the fully loaded limited

If you don't mind what did you have before? We have a liberty and looking at the Cherokee, it seems smaller compared to the Liberty. What first comes across is it certainly doesn't sit as high.

Price wise I'm looking more towards the Grand Cherokee as you can get a 4x4 Laredo nicely equipped for about the same as a loaded Cherokee and its much more roomy. Just curious if you considered that?

We had a Honda Fit to tow but we also had a BMW, the V6 Cherokee has lots lots of guts and the features are great. I looked at the Grand Cherokee but actually it was to big and the black interior made it feel like a cave, we have the extra big sunroof and the headliners in mine are light colored.

The Cherokee is actually 5 inches longer than the 2012 Liberty

If you check the Jeep web site you will find that both have about the same ground clearence, the Cherokee is 8 inches shorter in over and wheel base lenght than the Grand Cherokee

Are you sure the transmission in a Laredo can be towed 4 down I think not.

Thanks. There are two 4x4 trans for the Grand. One you can, same as the new Cherokee, there are two 4x4 options. The one that can be towed 4 down are only standard in the limited and trail hawk.

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
roam1 wrote:

Page 537 of the owners manual says to can dolly tow the 2 wheel drive one with the front weels up

I guess you'd to tow on a trailer.
Who buys a 2 wheel drive Jeep?
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:

2014 Jeep Cherokee