cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

riggarob
Explorer
Explorer
Just for the Halibat, have you gone to a shop to see what it might cost to change the ring and pinion ? Just wondering, Robbie

Ob1quixote wrote:
Yeah, I've heard of that company before, but it just isnt in the cards to put a $3500 part on a $2000 MH

Now, if I could find a Chevy 14bolt 11Klb+ axle in 4.57...I'd be in business!

Thanks though!

riggarob wrote:
Gear Vendors (over drive units) may be able to solve your gearing problems. Newer type mat'l brake shoes/ pads may help the other. Robbie

Ob1quixote wrote:
My needs are simple, so I bought a simple MH. My budget is limited, so it was cheap. I've made modifications to suit my needs for carrying capabilities, and a few creature comforts. being handy with tools, the few problems I fixed myself and enjoyed the effort.

Now I have something to carry me to the races/ride weekends and someplace to sleep. If the weather is nasty, I can duck inside and all my needs are covered, although I'd rather be outside.

Best of all, it is unique, a '63 Grumman. It is a work in progress, but I have been to 2 events and covered 1000 miles, and I'm tickled! someone's always dropping by for the 50 cent tour. Thinking about charging a dollar, gas prices are rising!

Only one thing that will be difficult to fix; the differential ratio. Top speed {that I am comfortable running the engine at} is about 57mph. The diff is a 6.17, sure would like to find something with longer legs so 1st gear would be useful and rpm would drop at highway speed. I only use 2nd thru 4th.

I wouldnt want to go much faster, braking has progressed a long way since '63.

There is something to be said for a slower pace though, just leave earlier!
08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

Ob1quixote
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I've heard of that company before, but it just isnt in the cards to put a $3500 part on a $2000 MH

Now, if I could find a Chevy 14bolt 11Klb+ axle in 4.57...I'd be in business!

Thanks though!

riggarob wrote:
Gear Vendors (over drive units) may be able to solve your gearing problems. Newer type mat'l brake shoes/ pads may help the other. Robbie

Ob1quixote wrote:
My needs are simple, so I bought a simple MH. My budget is limited, so it was cheap. I've made modifications to suit my needs for carrying capabilities, and a few creature comforts. being handy with tools, the few problems I fixed myself and enjoyed the effort.

Now I have something to carry me to the races/ride weekends and someplace to sleep. If the weather is nasty, I can duck inside and all my needs are covered, although I'd rather be outside.

Best of all, it is unique, a '63 Grumman. It is a work in progress, but I have been to 2 events and covered 1000 miles, and I'm tickled! someone's always dropping by for the 50 cent tour. Thinking about charging a dollar, gas prices are rising!

Only one thing that will be difficult to fix; the differential ratio. Top speed {that I am comfortable running the engine at} is about 57mph. The diff is a 6.17, sure would like to find something with longer legs so 1st gear would be useful and rpm would drop at highway speed. I only use 2nd thru 4th.

riggarob
Explorer
Explorer

Ob1quixote wrote:

08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
We'll know soon! We bought our first one two weeks ago but haven't had it out on the road yet - that happens next week. We started out looking for a 26'- 28' Class C and wound up with a 30' Class A. We're surprised at how many people consider that to be "small"; having done nothing but tent-camping for years, it seems colossal to us. My only regret is that it lacks sliders, but that obviously wasn't a deal-breaker.

I don't think I'd want anything bigger than 30' but IF we get anything else, it'll have at least one slider.
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

Ob1quixote
Explorer
Explorer

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
We are going on 3 years on our 31ft coach. This is our second motorhome and wish we would have went bigger. The next coach will have a bigger shower with a shelf so DW can shave her legs.Bed room slide and jacks for me.I do not think 3 or 4 ft is going to be that bad just wish I had not been so scared of the class A. We had a class C before.Got a Toad and Roadmaster Towing system so got that down . Next a 34 or 35 ft coach.I do not think it was a mistake as we have put 15,000 miles on our coach in 3 years and love our Winnie. We are going to take our time this time because I want the 3rd time to be the charm.

vfrmarc
Explorer
Explorer
Like many I couldn't hold back on this topic. We are two years into our first class A and have some regrets. Mostly the stinky economy making it difficult to move up. We did go small because we wanted to test our desire before spending the big bucks some day. Well we like the lifestyle so we want to go bigger, about 5 feet in length. Bigger slides, bigger bedroom, bigger bath facilities, bigger holding tanks and maybe diesel.

I'm sure we will eventually trade up, but the deal has to be right for us. Am
I second guessing my original decision to buy smaller, YES. If I knew what today's market would be would I have waited? Not sure, I needed that first experience as an owner, I just didn't expect things turn upside down the way they have.

Jacon
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a new Coachman Sportscoach Encore 40' DP in 2007. Should have researched better and not purchased it locally.

CurtisG
Explorer
Explorer
jackbuck wrote:
98% buy a second unit within 2 years,its a fact

As quoted above---I bought my second coach 17 months after the first & lost money. I made a mistake in buying too small the first time, thought It would be easier to handle and it was much easier to park but didn't have the room we needed (no slides). Found my present one and so far we are very satisfied with it.

Curt
2003 Allegro Bay/WH/GM/Allison
CurtisG
2003 34' Allegro Bay
WH(W22)/GM8.1/Allison

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't make a mistake other than should have bought a DP to begin with so we could have enjoyed it longer before I lost my wife. Both Motor homes were and are great.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

funboaters
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to buy our first Class A. We are looking at an old (late '80s) used, single owner "Mallard" with 64K miles. Our plan is to buy low, change out the questionable components and drive it into the ground... no resale value expected. The vehicle we are looking at had a single owner, has been well maintained, has good upholstery and bad carpet (pink, to be replaced) and it started on the first try. I have had large boats for the past 15 years and can fix any problem with subsystems (water, gray water, black water, electrical and I even rebuilt a diesel in Mexico) Does anyone have comments, good or bad, on this plan?

ramburgy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! I can't sell it!
Rich
2011 Ford F350 Diesel Super Duty FX4 Short Bed
2011 Cameo F37RESLS
Pullrite 18,000# Superglide

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
robert swartz wrote:
We are planning to buy a used MH to live in and retire. Our money is limited and in checking with some RV parks for monthly living we were told that they don't accept MH's that are over 10 years old. Are there sufficient parks that will accept us when or if our MH is 10 years old? Hope some one will help us.

Since you have not gotten any feed back, I will try to answer. From what I have seen, camp grounds usaually do not post how old your MH has to be. Your best bet (you are from Vegas - LOL) is to call the camp ground. Enjoy your retirement.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest mistake I made was buying a gasoline coach. A 36'Coachmen Aurora 2002. Engine was good, hated the transmission and I hated the overhang. It would drag on every dip seemed the the rear part of the motorhome was going to rip off when it drug. I hated the way it handled with cross winds. I couldn't keep it on the road coming from Utah to Las Vegas.
Traded it in after just five thousand miles on it. Lost of lot of money by trading in so soon, but I got a coach that has been fantastic. The Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser has been a trouble free coach. Have had it now for six years and the construction is second to none. A well made coach and you can't even feel the cross winds or on coming traffic like I did on my first class A motorhome.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Loren_Ross
Explorer
Explorer
And I thought WE were the poster children for mistakenly buying the wrong motorhome the first time...

We went full time about 3 years ago, and moved from a Fleetwood 24 Class C to an Allegro 28 Class A to do it.... Didn't want to go too big, cause DW was against driving anything too big.

After the first 8 months, we realized just how unconfortable we were and began trying to remodel the interior to make it better. We went to an RV show to get some ideas, and discovered the Southwind 32VS. It had almost everything we had decided we wanted to change in our Allegro. So, the mission to find a 32VS began, and several months later we found the perfect deal in Oregon. Been on the road just 2 years now in the 32VS and NO complaints!!

It's our understanding that the 32VS has been made for over 15 years with no changes to the basic plan. We sure see a lot of them on the road, so there must be a reason people buy them!!