cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

bowalker
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is very interesting.
For my first motorhome, I traded a re-roof for a class c. I didn't know at the time that it required so much repair. I rolled the top back and replaced rotted roof framing and as well removed paneling and replaced rotted side and cap-over framing. My friend had the cushions reupholstered. She looked good when we finished and was a good coach. We soon traded for a class A. Then in a very few years traded the A for another A.
I would like to trade my present A for an A diesel pusher to better handle the long steep slopes. But, it isn't worth the trade-up. Because, I usually hit those hills only once a year.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Wally PW wrote:
Well, our first rig was a gasser. We learned a lot and enjoyed a lot. After 3 years with the gasser, we upgraded to a diesel pusher. That was a great move. I wish we had had an open mind at the start. If so, we would have bought the DP and lived happily ever after. As it turned out, we spent several thousand dollars to learn that the gasser was not for us, but the DP was perfect for us. I guess we are living happily ever after now.

This result is exactly why I started with a DP 5 years ago and do not regret anything about it. It's great fun and an amazing ride.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

RoadHound_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
HAd a TT for a few years. Had some good times with family and friends in it but dreaded the sleeping arrangements every time we went out. After looking off and on at 5ers for a couple of years, woke up one day and said I wanted a DP. Within a couple of weeks we found a well kept 2004 Holiday Rambler well within our budget, bought it and took delivery without much research. After reading on this and other forums, I have to say in terms of the capabilities and reliability of this model DP, I have to say I was very fortunate to end up with this unit given the preponderonce of poorer choices I could have made.

But that's the way I have done my whole life. Decide I want something, do some minimum research, find it and buy it -- BUT I HAVE ALWAYS HAD AN EXIT PLAN. Either cash in the bank or a great purchase price so I could flip it without going broke if it ended up being a big mistake.
Jody & Sylvia :C
Smokey and Casper - miniature schnauzers
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ

Wally_PW
Explorer
Explorer
Well, our first rig was a gasser. We learned a lot and enjoyed a lot. After 3 years with the gasser, we upgraded to a diesel pusher. That was a great move. I wish we had had an open mind at the start. If so, we would have bought the DP and lived happily ever after. As it turned out, we spent several thousand dollars to learn that the gasser was not for us, but the DP was perfect for us. I guess we are living happily ever after now.
Us: Frank and Betty, plus our Australian Shepherd, Thyme.
Rig: 2008 Itasca Latitude DP 37G (Cummins 6.7L/340HP, Allison 2500 trans)
Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/Brake Buddy

I've been in all 50 states, but only these in the MH:

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, mistakes were made on the first MH, and the 2nd, and the 3rd, and the 4th, and I am sure with all my current knowledge and experience, and all my friends to assist I will find hindsight problems with the next MH. Happy Trails.

dashdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought my first MH and am still awaiting its delivery, so I can't speak specifically to that, but we did make a mistake when we bought our 5er TH--it's was what we thought we wanted but turns out it didn't suit our needs as well as a MH. Not sure how we could have avoided making the mistake (can't really rent 5ers around here), but my pocket book is telling me it was several thousand dollars worth!
1999 HR Navigator 42DSS
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4Dr)

SBTrailGuy
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I recently rented 31' Class C and loved it! Thinking seriously about making 1st RV purchase. Would like a new Winnie Outlook, but too pricey. Dealer says used Chalet would be good 1st rig, but we are now thinking about a '03 Jamboree GT 31 with low miles. With all problems Fleetwood is having, is this a smart choice? Have any members had problems with their '03 GT 31's or recall repairs they could not resolve?

go-rusty
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my first coach at 40% under dealer cost. It was a repo from a dealer. Wasn't the greatest (a new Rockwood 33' coach) but for the price I sure can't complain.

riggarob
Explorer
Explorer
I'd hire as many certified techs as it takes to make sure it's OK. Go to an independent RV guy, w/ a good rep, and have him check it out. Be careful, be very, very careful. Robbie

patrioticstablist wrote:
Oh my, hate to hear that. I'm in the process of buying one from PPL now. I'm having them check it out and hired an independent mechanic. I already asked him to check it out for flooding, that happens often around Houston.

I'm nervous anyway. Buying a 40 ft, probably to big for me, but wanted the diesel pusher, has 300hp cummins, allison 6sp transmission, but is older, a 1995. And on top of this I'm a woman, but wanting to travel and going to before I get any older. Hubby is a good man but wants to work till age 70! This one only has 38000 miles on it, so wondering if its a lemon or what, it is gorgeous, the inside looks like its never been used.

I'm going ahead with it unless its really bad, who knows, guess time will tell. I should hear in the next day or so.
08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

patrioticstabli
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my, hate to hear that. I'm in the process of buying one from PPL now. I'm having them check it out and hired an independent mechanic. I already asked him to check it out for flooding, that happens often around Houston.

I'm nervous anyway. Buying a 40 ft, probably to big for me, but wanted the diesel pusher, has 300hp cummins, allison 6sp transmission, but is older, a 1995. And on top of this I'm a woman, but wanting to travel and going to before I get any older. Hubby is a good man but wants to work till age 70! This one only has 38000 miles on it, so wondering if its a lemon or what, it is gorgeous, the inside looks like its never been used.

I'm going ahead with it unless its really bad, who knows, guess time will tell. I should hear in the next day or so.

BLUE_MARBLE
Explorer
Explorer
First mistake...Now retired and with fortunate life possessed of more $ than smarts bought a 40'DP. Way too big to enjoy. Second mistake...Trusted PPL as broker fell in love with a truly beautiful and loaded but older coach and relied on PPL's vaunted check-thru ($235.00) and then stupidly relied on PPL's recommendation of INDEPENDENT (ha ha) inspector to COMPLETELY, THOROUGHLY inspect all systems. Off we went...two innocents...then in short order and over $10,000 and many repairs later our "perfect coach" was perfect. Unfortunately and yes our fault the coach was still too big...too old...oh yeah, did I mention that our expert salesman, expert PPL and expert inspector somehow failed to notice that this coach had been in one of those famous Texas floods. My very first service/repair tech at a Cummins dealer told me that in literally two minutes.
"we are not stopping 'til they come to take us away!"
all 4 kids grown, healthy and ...gone

bp19
Explorer
Explorer
HughD wrote:
Very interesting thread. Most of the inputs seem to be about moving up through the motorhome chain. Does anyone have any experience on the other end i.e. going straight in as a first timer with the purchase of a 40'+ DP, either used or new, and feel they made a mistake, or conversely not...HughD

After looking at threads like this one, we decided to buy the last one first. Moved from a travel trailer and have no regrets so far. Our Presidio is not high end (but luxurious) but with proper care, we figure we will keep it through retirement (about 10 years from now). Paint and remodel after the kids leave us should give us a nice new motohome at that time.

And enjoying the heck out of this on our weekend getaways and 4 weeks of vacation a year. I did not want to buy something that I knew I would be trading several years later.

The big issues for me at the time were storage, capacity, generator, and 4 slides. A diesel pusher gave me all of the above.

Bob
2006 Presidio 39B
330 Mercedes

HughD
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting thread. Most of the inputs seem to be about moving up through the motorhome chain. Does anyone have any experience on the other end i.e. going straight in as a first timer with the purchase of a 40'+ DP, either used or new, and feel they made a mistake, or conversely not...HughD

riggarob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a DIYer, myself. So I'll just keep throwing things against the wall, until somethin' sticks !! L8R

Ob1quixote wrote:
Hadnt done that {yet}

I'm a DIYer. While I dont think I want to try the ring and pinion job myself, switching out whole axle assy's shouldnt be a big deal. Just hoping to "run into" the part!

From what I have learned, I need the rear end from a road bus. A little rarer, most busses use the same gearing for picking up school kids intown. I need the one from the activity/sports bus that was geared for the road.

riggarob wrote:
Just for the Halibat, have you gone to a shop to see what it might cost to change the ring and pinion ? Just wondering, Robbie

Ob1quixote wrote:
Yeah, I've heard of that company before, but it just isnt in the cards to put a $3500 part on a $2000 MH

Now, if I could find a Chevy 14bolt 11Klb+ axle in 4.57...I'd be in business!

Thanks though!

riggarob wrote:
Gear Vendors (over drive units) may be able to solve your gearing problems. Newer type mat'l brake shoes/ pads may help the other. Robbie

Ob1quixote wrote:
My needs are simple, so I bought a simple MH. My budget is limited, so it was cheap. I've made modifications to suit my needs for carrying capabilities, and a few creature comforts. being handy with tools, the few problems I fixed myself and enjoyed the effort.

Now I have something to carry me to the races/ride weekends and someplace to sleep. If the weather is nasty, I can duck inside and all my needs are covered, although I'd rather be outside.

Best of all, it is unique, a '63 Grumman. It is a work in progress, but I have been to 2 events and covered 1000 miles, and I'm tickled! someone's always dropping by for the 50 cent tour. Thinking about charging a dollar, gas prices are rising!

Only one thing that will be difficult to fix; the differential ratio. Top speed {that I am comfortable running the engine at} is about 57mph. The diff is a 6.17, sure would like to find something with longer legs so 1st gear would be useful and rpm would drop at highway speed. I only use 2nd thru 4th.

I wouldnt want to go much faster, braking has progressed a long way since '63.

There is something to be said for a slower pace though, just leave earlier!
08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

Ob1quixote
Explorer
Explorer
Hadnt done that {yet}

I'm a DIYer. While I dont think I want to try the ring and pinion job myself, switching out whole axle assy's shouldnt be a big deal. Just hoping to "run into" the part!

From what I have learned, I need the rear end from a road bus. A little rarer, most busses use the same gearing for picking up school kids intown. I need the one from the activity/sports bus that was geared for the road.

riggarob wrote:
Just for the Halibat, have you gone to a shop to see what it might cost to change the ring and pinion ? Just wondering, Robbie

Ob1quixote wrote:
Yeah, I've heard of that company before, but it just isnt in the cards to put a $3500 part on a $2000 MH

Now, if I could find a Chevy 14bolt 11Klb+ axle in 4.57...I'd be in business!

Thanks though!

riggarob wrote:
Gear Vendors (over drive units) may be able to solve your gearing problems. Newer type mat'l brake shoes/ pads may help the other. Robbie

Ob1quixote wrote:
My needs are simple, so I bought a simple MH. My budget is limited, so it was cheap. I've made modifications to suit my needs for carrying capabilities, and a few creature comforts. being handy with tools, the few problems I fixed myself and enjoyed the effort.

Now I have something to carry me to the races/ride weekends and someplace to sleep. If the weather is nasty, I can duck inside and all my needs are covered, although I'd rather be outside.

Best of all, it is unique, a '63 Grumman. It is a work in progress, but I have been to 2 events and covered 1000 miles, and I'm tickled! someone's always dropping by for the 50 cent tour. Thinking about charging a dollar, gas prices are rising!

Only one thing that will be difficult to fix; the differential ratio. Top speed {that I am comfortable running the engine at} is about 57mph. The diff is a 6.17, sure would like to find something with longer legs so 1st gear would be useful and rpm would drop at highway speed. I only use 2nd thru 4th.

I wouldnt want to go much faster, braking has progressed a long way since '63.

There is something to be said for a slower pace though, just leave earlier!