cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

Daboo
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't make a mistake on the first one..it was a 31 foot Class C...we thought we needed a bigger unit with a slide, so we bought a 37 footer Class A with a slide...the thing is too big, so guess we made a mistake on the second one we bought...love it, but there are places you just can't go with the longer ones.....also, the gas mileage is horrible,,,,oh well..bought it to drive, as long as I can afford it...

Happy trails.
Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

PJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Kajtek1

The 32 footer was about twice the cost of the 24 footer. On a per foot basis, the 32 footer was a much better deal. I also did not mention that I ended slightly upside down on the loan, much less then one would expect (I never paid more then 80% of the MSRP and always got wholesale on the trade).
Paul and Linda Johnson
Two Golden Retrievers
2001 Itasca Suncruiser

Kajtek1
Explorer
Explorer
You don't mention the $ factor.
I bet, that this 32' cost nice pennies more, than 24' class C ?
[COLOR=]Pessimist sees dark tunnel, optimist sees a light at the end, realist sees lights of coming train.Engineer sees 3 idiots on the tracks.

PJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Did we make a mistake buying our first motor home? Yes, twice! Our first motorhome was a 24 foot Class C which was great until we invited my sister-in-law on a trip to the ocean. Since she was the dog sitter for our 2 golden retrievers, they also came along (3 aldults and 2 goldens in a 24 footer). It would not have been to bad except my sister-in-law and the dogs became permanent passengers. After 1 year, we traded the 24 footer in for a 30 foot Class C with a slide. The problem with the 30 footer was that we were at the alsolute weight limit and we kept having blowouts when traveling through the southwest in the summer. In addition, we finally realized that we would need a toad which would exceed the weight limits on the 30 footer. After 1 year we traded the 30 footer in for a 32 foot Class A with 1 slide which we like very much. We have enough room (we are not full timers), we can still fit into most national park campgrounds and we are 2500 pounds under the weight limit when fully loaded. We also like the bigger tires, hydraulic levelers, more room in the cab, larger front window, etc.
Paul and Linda Johnson
Two Golden Retrievers
2001 Itasca Suncruiser

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I made a mistake buying my first MH if would be not taking it for a test drive. You spend so much time ohhing and ahhing at the creature comforts you forget you are buying a motor vehicle. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive so why do we buy a MH at an RV show or off the dealer lot without taking it on the road first. I like my 1999 Winnebago Brave with the Chevy 454, but next time I am going to pay more attention to the chassis, engine and deive train.

Steve
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
we have had a 13' trailer, 20' trailer , and a 27 coachman "c", and now a 32 gbm. don't have a slide, but would like one , but like the size of unit. it has a pull-down bed over drivers seats, gets 9 to 10 mpg. for our occasional use works great. i was a ford man, until i drove the chevy. smooth and quiet. i like looking at the higher end units, and if i see something i like, i usually will add it. my entry level unit now is like a middle of the line unit. happy for now, and its all paid for.yahoo!

*This Message was edited on 28-Feb-03 06:42 AM by billyboy*
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

Dirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, didn't make TOO many mistakes on the first nine RV's, but the tenth one was a real LULU. Got blinded by the two slides, and the brochure telling me how thoroughly researched and designed it was. HAH!!!!!!!, spent most of my 14 months or so of ownership at winnebugger dealers, eastern half of the United States. Finally ended up back at the factory, and ORDERED it fixed THAT DAY, or give me my money back. Happened to be about 20 other customers sitting there sipping coffee, reading papers, waiting on their coaches. Sure got everybodys attention. Tech's and "schmoozers" came running, and FINALLY fixed it, while they suggested I take the factory tour. Darn, should have taken the tour BEFORE I bought the piece of junk, then I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole.
Got it "fixed", and immediately backtracked to the nearest Newmar dealer, and ordered the new one. Took the hit on the "winnebugger from hell" like a man, and enjoy the Newmar more every day. For my money, they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of winnebugger.

Dirtman

2003 Newmar "D"Star 4050

Freightliner(Neway IFS) 330HP Cat

22'Haulmark V nose hauler

2004 Chev Silverado Z-71, 4X4 toad

BrakeBuddy

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody may have already said it, but, it isn't a mistake unless it didn't serve it's purpose.

In order, we had:

79 Diamond GT an 18 ft pregnant van with a fiberglass body. Great for travel, fishing, weekends and that's what we wanted it for. Actually made money when we sold it.

84 Jamboree 24 ft. Great for short vacations for two. Needed a dinette to make it long term livable. Was great for what we bought it for. Almost broke even on the sale.

91 Jamboree 26 ft. Basically added a dinette to the 24 ft model. Made it much more livable and extended our tolerance to a couple of weeks at a time. But, got too lazy for the overhead bed. Cost us about $1,000 depreciation to own.

96 Southwind 36 ft with 1 slide. We thought we had died and gone to heaven till the first mountain and we almost did die and go to heaven before we got to the bottom. But, in 40,000 miles and 5 years, we were more cautious and loved it and it served its purpose. Cost about 13,000 in depreciation.

98 DSDP 38 ft with 1 slide. Maybe should have extended a little and got the second slide, but it does what we need it to do and after about 6 months and 12,000 miles, we love it too. We'll see how the DS holds it's value in a few years when double slides are less expensive.

So, all in all, through hard shopping, we have only invested about $15,000 depreciation (+ the DS's unknown depreciation) in more than 20 years of motorhoming. No way any of that can be called a mistake (except that mountain in the Southwind) We have loved every minute of it (except that mountain in the Southwind).
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

buchrob
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 1999 28 ft. Allegro built by Tiffin. Excellent choice for a single person, or a couple with up to 2 small children, Very manoeuvreable. Weighs a lot less than the bigger rigs.

Naturally, after owning it a year it would be nice to have a slightly bigger galley or more storage, but the 10-12 MPG will be hard to beat with a heavier rig.

I was originally in the market for something in the 1992-5 range at a much lower price, but now realize that the 1999 Allegro I bought is a much better deal. I coluld re-sell tomorrow at about the same equivalent "loss" but have had a much more positive experience.

'99 Glendale Royal Expedition 24' Class C
2003 Subaru WRX wagon as toad.

uscgcdr
Explorer
Explorer
Bought from a disreputable dealer in Ft. Myers, FL!
Tom & Sandy
TE'A the Wonder Mutt
Retired USCG

Mountain_Jack
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, Dollar98;

No Regrets, Here. We have Many Very Happy Memories of the 12 years, Fishin & Campin(mostly boondocking), in our 1978 American Clipper, 21' Class C with Dodge 440,& Generac,4kw. She was a Good Un. 🙂

We decided we would like more room, looked for about a year, then bought our present MH. She has everything we wanted, & More. We Love this MH, also, & are Very Happy, with Her. She Runs Like a "Spring Chicken", on the Interstates. 🙂
Take Care. Jack&Barb.........
1989 Pace Arrow 37', Ford 460

Take Care.........Drive Safely...........Grizz Jack..........Happy fishin'.....:B:B:B

"Have You Kissed a Bass, Today?"........:W :B

Deen
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, first MH (17' Type B) that's why there's a second (29' Type C), third, (35' dual slide Type A) forth (39' DP Type A single slide)and now fifth (41+' triple slide DP)!! This doesn't include the boats, the travel trailers, motorcycles etc!! In fact my first three choices in wives turned out to be wrong!!

Deen - Vancouver, WA

'02 Dutch Star 4090 (41+', triple slide)
435/1200 ISC Cummins/Banks PowerPak
'08 Honda Civic/dolly
'05 Honda Odyssey/dolly
NRA Benefactor and Recruiter
FMCA f47302s, Life Member: Good Sam,
Newmar DP Owners Group
52nd yr of RV'ing

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
No Mistakes here.....owned 2 Fleetwoods on Ford Chassis...1st was a 1984 23' Jamboree...kept it 8 years and sold it for $4,000.00 less than what we paid....Current is a 1996 Bounder 30' with 460 Ford.....runs great....Very few problems.... nothing that I have had to pay to have fixed....We love the Queen Island Bed as compared to the Corner Bed.....plus now we have a Dinnete and Couch and the Storage is Awsome!! Thanks to John Crean....We LOVE it.....hope to move up to a Bounder DP in the future...From the Affordability stand point I think Fleetwood Builds a Heck of product....
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

arch
Explorer
Explorer
I am just buying my first one also. I was told most people buy to small first so I just ordered a 2004 42' Monaco Dynasty. I will let you know in May when I get it
04 42' Dynasty
Mercedes ML

Robbie
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with djevans about having the right RV and wishing it were diesel. I travel in a 36z double slide Southwind 1998 towing a camry with ablue ox tow bar and brake buddy for suplemental brakes and loving it. Wish it had more power and better transmission.
Robbie
1998 36Z Southwind
Banks Stinger System & Transcom shift module
Davis Tru-Trac and Saf-T-Plus Steering Damper
Blue Ox Tow Bar with Brake Buddy
FMCA#269168:)