cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aqua Hot Systems

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor's Monaco has an Aqua Hot water heating system and he was showing and telling me how efficient these are. I had not heard about them until then and did a little i-search about them. Seems like only the high end coaches have these...but perhaps other on-demand systems are as good? He mentioned that it provides heat for the coach as well and is very cost efficient.

Can the AH systems be installed in coaches not having them and are they worth the $$?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
When on the road, with the engine furnishing the hot water, you can run the furnace without using either the electric element or burning extra diesel.
2014 American Eagle

doubleG
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on Dennis!

Hjudge49
Explorer
Explorer
Since we live in a rather warm climate, we normally just leave the electric element turned on for hot water. When we go North, we will use the diesel burner for domestic heat and hot water. As others have said, the engine heats the boiler fluid while driving, and the unit will preheat the engine on cold mornings. If properly maintained and tuned, the exhaust is fairly clean, but if you are concerned about fumes, you can add a genturi for it also. Like others, I would never buy another coach without one.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
crasster wrote:
They are excellent systems that most often run on gas & electric. The thought of a nice hot shower after some long hikes sounds appealing. One day we may buy a coach with one... Had my eye on them for some time now.

99% are Diesel and Electric, NOT "gas". For un limited Hot Water, the Diesel burner MUST be ON. The only models that can give close to unlimited on electric are the dual 120 element models which are not installed on units less than 500k. The Electric element on most is to use the electric for furnace side heating and to give about 1 gallon of hot water. The 120 side is not designed to give unlimited Hot Water. Doug

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are excellent systems that most often run on gas & electric. The thought of a nice hot shower after some long hikes sounds appealing. One day we may buy a coach with one... Had my eye on them for some time now.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My aqua hot works off electric and diesel. I leave the electric on most of the time and only turn on the diesel when we are going to use the showers. Yes, it's unlimited hot water. DW likes long showers and I can follow her without waiting for the water to heat up like a regular water heater. It also can be used to warm up the engine and the engine in turn warms up the water. The best feature is there is no furnace. The aqua hot heats the coach with almost no noise.....I would not buy another coach that did not have that feature......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
freestoneangler wrote:
How about its use in hot weather -- when you want hot water but don't need heat in the coach? Also, do they tend to give off odor and more costly to maintain?

They are 2 separate systems. There is the Hot Water side and the Heating(furnace side). The Furnace side does NOT circulate hot water unless you have the wall tstat set for furnace mode. As to the exhaust. No matter what anyone says, they are a BIG disturbance to your neighbor on your drivers side. The exhaust on most is amidships and shoots out directly to your drivers side neighbor. THAT is a big no no in my opinion. But, it is the nature of the beast. The ONLY maintaining is an annual tune up that can cost about $300 max. But, the most common problems on a Aqua hot system are from LACK of use. The Diesel burner(nozzle) and the circulation pumps and check valves do not like long periods of inactivity. They tend to clog up(diesel nozzle) and the Furnace side check valves stick. Regular running of the Diesel system and furnace system, just like running the APU is a must to keep the systems from malfunctioning. Doug

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
freestoneangler wrote:
How about its use in hot weather -- when you want hot water but don't need heat in the coach? Also, do they tend to give off odor and more costly to maintain?

In hot weather you rarely need to turn on anything as the engine has heated the water which will last a longtime (since it's hot outside).

The only odor from an Aqua-Hot would be from the diesel exhaust. Ours runs very clean (just had it serviced) so not much of a smell. Now, if we are parked close to our neighbor, I run the Aqua-Hot on electric as not to send any fumes to the neighbors. Usually we are never parked that close to a neighbor but it has happened.

Our Aqua-Hot has the two stage electric element( 110 and HI). We can heat the coach electrically through the Aqua-Hot if it's not too cold out (40+ degrees). I have to say, that the electric elements will make the water almost scalding!

I get ours serviced every other year as every year seemed too often. After having it done every year for a couple of years the nozzle looked like brand new, I couldn't tell the difference. The fuel filter is also changed. I think it's about $250 for servicing.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how "Unlimited" the heat is, but it has either a 45,000 or 60,000 Btu heat input from the diesel boiler, that works out to heating about 1.5 GPM from 50F to 140F. The Aqua Hot needs to start out warm to keep up. The built in tank will cool down a bit with use, but still stay above 110F when a normal shower is done.

Fuel usage is another thing. 1 gallon of propane is about 95,000 Btu's while diesel is closer to 135,000 Btu's. My guess is a normal propane burner is about 80% efficient, while a typical diesel boiler is only about 75% efficient. So the diesel one is going to cost less per 100,000 Btu's of heat in most areas.

There is also a typical electric back up for the Aqua Heat, so you can run a 2,000 - 4,000 watt electric element (depending on model and if the RV manufacture wanted to install a 120 or 240 volt element) to warm the tank over a long time. Typically they warm 10 gallons of anti-freeze, and then there is a hot water coil that the domestic water goes through this heated (160 - 180F) tank and it will instantly warm the domestic water to 140 - 160F, then cool it with a mixing valve on the outlet to the desired 120F outlet water temp.

Many systems also include a hot water loop for the engine too. So a 3/4" heater hose line from the diesel engine will go through the Aqua Hot tank, and warm it to the engine running temp (up to about 200F) and also because the engine starts out cold, the 140F tank temp will preheat the engine quickly, then the engine will start supplying heat to the Aqua Hot after a few minutes. So with that option, you have unlimited free hot water while on the road, and about 15 gallons just after you park. Many times this allows you to not turn on the burner at all, if you are not running the furnace and don't need much hot water.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
As noted above, it's a great system, but I don't see how you could add it to an RV. The routing of fuel lines and radiator lines to each outlet would be major surgery to an all ready built RV. Also, the hardware takes up one entire basement compartment.

It does provide unlimited hot water and heat.

http://www.aquahot.com/Products.aspx
2014 American Eagle

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
They are very expensive by the time you purchase it and pay to have it installed. If you were in the market for another coach, I would say find one with it. We love ours in our Country Coach. Continuous hot water and hydronic heating keeps the coach nice and warm. Runs on diesel. We still love it although we have had several major repairs done on it. For more info check out: www.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com Roger Berke might be albe to provide more info. You can also call Aqua Hot Sales for pricing. Be sure to be sitting down. They also now have an LP model.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Adding a Hydronic system (that is what a Aqua Hot system is called), is NOT very cost efficient to a RV that does not have one. You HAVE to have a Diesel, there are LP systems, but Diesel is more cost efficient. You have to run the Zone radiator water lines thru-out the RV, and run the Diesel lines and find a place to mount the unit. IF you have slide rooms, then running the Radiator water lines is a lot more difficult and expensive. This is NOT a DYI type job. The cost just for the system(no labor) can run anywhere from $6000 to $12000 depending on the system and size of RV. Then you have the labor and the misc parts (water lines and fittings and such). It is a very nice system to have. Doug