cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ARCTICOLD first test NOT GOOD !

BULLETLS1
Explorer
Explorer
Finally I bought an ARCTICOLD cooling unit, and after some WWF, finally installed with kwik foam insulator (NASTY stuff!, and connected the 110v element, it did heated the upward column, the very top almos horizontal tube (using the "spit in the finger "thermometer") it is well over boiling, it zizzled!, the fins on top are lukewarm. The very bottom tube is HOT, almost to the can like chamber.... but the COOLING surface on the fridge, is NOT even below ambient!!! (Its been on heat for about an hour, I even smell melted paint).... HELP!!!! Im worried i will ruin a brand new unit, or explode or something!!!
I HAVE A DATE WITH ETERNITY, AND I DONยดT WANT TO BE LATE!
6 REPLIES 6

BULLETLS1
Explorer
Explorer
hello guys!
its a SOUTHWIND chev chassis 30' 88 (or 89)
refer seemed OE, because all insulation was moulded into.
sadly I started to smell ammonia (like when cleaning windows)
when I opened the fridge the smell was stronger (NOT to the point that you get offended by it).
never saw yellow residue, and in this forum was recommended that it was dangerous to even LIT the burner, so finally I decided to buy an arcticold unit for a DOMETIC RM2800, sometime later I got the unit, managet to remove the fridge (and keeper in the kitchen because it WOUD NOT FIT in any door.
a lot of stabbing later (in hard foam) managed to remove old unit and saw rust stain outside of the hard insulation, I removed part of the insulation and an elbow of one tube was CORRODED (not rust, I mean flakes of iron oxide) and there the foam smelled VERY strong of amonia.
I managed to replace the new unit, and isolated with one can of KWIK FOAM INSULATOR, (took me 3 days to remove from my fingers and a WEEK to remove from my nails), I used the electric rod for a "test ride" and NOTHIG!, (I have to confess that after 2 hours after I wrote the post, the upper (lower temp) plate started to cool.... BUT MARGINALLY.
I HAVE A DATE WITH ETERNITY, AND I DONยดT WANT TO BE LATE!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The back wall of our Norcold's freezer becomes noticeably cooler within 30 minutes of turning it on. The entire fridge temp reaches equilibrium in about 12 hours.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
An hours or two is meaningless. Come back in the afternoon and check it.
Give it 24 hours to completely cool down.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
What brand, year of motorhome?

How come you replaced original unit?

Who did the install?

My Norcold takes about 24 hours to get cold, yours will too.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
We take frozen jugs of water and but them in the fridge and freezer to help it get to temp faster. Works great. Also if you get an indoor outdoor wireless thermometer you can spy on the temp without opening the door. We had a bad fridge once, not fun.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The smell is normal on initial fire up of any new cooling unit
2. It takes 24 HOURS before the refer will get to temp. After 3 or 4 hours, you should see results in the freezer compartment. Doug