cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back-up Camera Failure

Shademan
Explorer
Explorer
Next on the punch list...replacing or repairing the failing backup camera system on my 2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial.

After 17 years of loyal use, it appears the Intec CVM600 video monitor has called it quits. Saw is coming last month with what appears to be vertical hold issue.

So the choice are:
1) Replace the old school black and white with a used CVM600. Cost: $150 from one of the well known rv salvage yards. Pros: Quick change out of the monitor on the dash at a very low cost. Cons: Old tech and how long will a used monitor really last.

2) Upgrade the old camera and monitor with a new color Intec system. Cost: $1600 from Intec. Pros: Plug and Play, keep the cable running the length of the coach and new color LED monitor. Con: Price...IT'S $1600!!!!!

3) Upgrade to a new wireless system. Cost: $350. Pros: Cost of an entire system is really reasonable with no wires. Cons: Will need to replace the camera and fabricate or alter the housing of the old camera and find a constant power source for the camera.

I am looking for any opinions, ideas and perspective from the vast group of experts on this forum that have given me some great insight in the past.

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my backup camera with one from Online Costco for $200. Kit included all the components need to install the camera.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my failed camera system with a wireless from tadibrothers.com Camera gets power from a rear running light. The monitor is power from the connection of the old monitor, Only had to modify the camera mount.

Shademan
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!!! Again I am amazed at the response to my question.

Called RV Cams today and I have several replacement options to choose from.

Thanks again to everyone!

Safe travels to all.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a decent monitor, cable, and camera from ebay for under $100 if you're willing to install it yourself.

I did this on the 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that we owned. If you want to see what was involved, I documented the process and placed the file available for download on installing new rear view system

From the link above, look down the page for the document titled "Rear View Cameras (2) & Monitor Install". Maybe reading this will help you with your research.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2nd vote for RV Cams. They really know their stuff and will be able to help you get back up and running.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the original 5" B&W monitor and camera system on our coach with this $107 Esky 7" color monitor and two cameras in 2013. I mounted both cameras high on the rear with one aimed for the long view and the other aimed low for a view from the bumper back to the windshield of our toad. With the low view camera, I can easily check on the toad hookup while underway and when unhooked, back up to within an inch of obstacles without hitting them. The long view is handy for watching traffic behind us and in other lanes, especially when passing or preparing to pass. The color monitor isn't HD TV picture quality, but it's more than adequate for its purpose.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I replaced the ancient system in our Safari through RVCams. I don't remember the price, but I'm sure it wasn't $1600.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

MrWizard
in the Safari, i replaced the monitor with flip down flat screen designed for in the car/minivan/suv use

all i needed to change was an adapter on the end of the video cable to switch from BNC to RCA (common video) plug

cost $89

changing a camera is also just connecting the 12v power and maybe using another adapter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Shademan
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
If you haven't already, talk to RV Cams 225/261-9946 to see if they have a substitute at a more reasonable price. Our Weldex monitor failed recently and they mailed a new color monitor and camera out for about $730. I installed the new monitor and will do the camera later when I have access to a step ladder some place.

Bill

Thanks for the lead, Bill. I will give them a call in the morning.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you haven't already, talk to RV Cams 225/261-9946 to see if they have a substitute at a more reasonable price. Our Weldex monitor failed recently and they mailed a new color monitor and camera out for about $730. I installed the new monitor and will do the camera later when I have access to a step ladder some place.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.