cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup camera installation

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting one installed soon but I remember a Bigfoot owner posting many moons ago (can't find it) saying not to go thru the fibreglass running the camera wire. Leak problems, apparently. Has anyone mounted one on the ladder, then running the wire thru the fridge vent?
7 REPLIES 7

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
nightshift wrote:
Thanks. One more Q. Any advantage to the twin cameras? One that looks at the bumper and one that looks far down the road? Overkill?

When my black/white system died, I replaced it with twin cameras. Most of the work is running the cable, so you can run 2 cables just as easy as one. I would not want to go back to one camera.

Beside having a clear view of 3 lanes of traffic behind you with the camera looking down the road, I find that I sometimes alternate between the two when backing down my curved driveway.

You can also do one camera with the pan/tilt feature.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

MacZulu
Explorer
Explorer
That's sounds a little overkill, I position mine to see my cargo rack and behind. Of course that makes my cargo rack my bumper essentially, but from there I can safely maneuver gas stations and camp spots. And I can still use it for lane changes if necessary.

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. One more Q. Any advantage to the twin cameras? One that looks at the bumper and one that looks far down the road? Overkill?

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I would venture to guess that about 99.99 percent of existing wired cameras were wired with a hole on the fiberglass, and most of those were done at the factory. If properly sealed, there should not be a leak, just like all joints in a motorhome. Where I store my motorhome, of those I have seen, whether high-end motorhomes or lower cost motorhomes, like my Class C, all have a hole where the wire is run thru.

MacZulu
Explorer
Explorer
I understand your fear of leaks living in the vancouver area, I have been here for 15 years (Burnaby, North Van and now Coquitlam). I too have a fiberglass body and I recently installed a wireless camera. I removed my rear center running light and in stalled the camera in that position. If needed for some reason I can remove the camera and put the running light back in place.

So far it is rock solid, but I will keep an eye on it

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
My original camera, that came on our '07 Forester, crapped out, and Forester no longer made replacement parts for that camera, so I went with a new wireless camera, works great.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting idea; should work well unless you catch that wire while raking snow off the roof.
My first thought was to go underneath and up through the floor.
However, I ended up with the camera inside, looking out through the rear window.

Actually, one more hole in the rear wall shouldn't be any more problematical than each of the tail lights.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed