185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
nothing to see here
60 REPLIES 60

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
So many snarky opinions about adding performance.
I added the Banks Power Pack to my then 460 cu in engine at 40,000 miles. At 140,000 miles nothing had failed in the drive train.
At 140,000 miles I install a stroker crank, RV cam, and raised the compression to my now 528 cu in engine. Still waiting for those drive train components to come flying out at 158,000 miles.

Boy will be boys with their go fast toys. Now get out there and spend that $$ before your kids inherit it. All that money you save will bring you no pleasure in the nursing home.

Now where did I put that old Harley 74 for my wheel chair?

I want to die screaming and yelling "MORE HORSE POWER!"
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Add HP and the next weak link in the drive train will tend to fail faster. Add HP to the motor, next in line is the transmission. Then universal joints. Everything is designed to handle XXX amount of HP and Torque. It becomes a vicious circle real fast. Lighten your load will yeild far more benefits at far less cost.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The engine manufacturers do not make an engine just for RV use. Most of the engines produced can be used for generators, trucks, RV's, or many other industrial uses. The engine is tuned to what they think will be the best average use. When the engine electronic control module is reprogrammed to change the GENERIC parameters to a more specific use, such as towing or high altitude use, it will produce more HP but it is not going to put out any more horse power than it is already designed to produce.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

Need I say why I need that extra HP, I was able to fly with ease over the Rockies on I-70 from Denver to Vegas without a hiccup.

And need I say that the equipment you have there is not adequate for the task at hand ??

My opinion is that you are pulling too much weight and additional wind drag with the RV that you have.

And someone else mentioned that often "adding HP" puts additional strain and wear on the engine and transmission and drive components ??

BUT.....if you are happy with what you have, that's all that really counts. Until you aren't happy.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
185EZ wrote:
Sorry but the "professionals" make mistakes.
Vega. Gremlin, 1984 Corvette. All engineered abortions
Remember the ford pinto?
Firestone 500 radials?
Corvair?

Nothing is perfect but there are aftermarket options to make them better.

To say it's all hogwash is, well, just hogwash.

You provided a perfect example of trying to justify hogwash with more hogwash.

Of those examples you provided, exactly NONE of them could have been significantly improved with any add-on modifications.
Seems like I remember that the purveyors of "snake oil" even avoided them.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
GM and Ford both have some great engineers but they also have ACCOUNTANTS, which have ALL of the power when it comes to design. It is not that the engineers don't know what is best, it is just that in most cases, they have to compromise their designs to produce a "suitable/servicable" vehicle at a lower cost. Aftermarket improvements are available for the owners that can afford to improve on the items where the engineers had to compromise.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone tell me the stock V-10 exhaust manifold is just as good as the Banks header system, check out this pic and than tell me

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
timmac wrote:

Banks system has been proven to work and even the military has hired his company to add HP to military ground equipment and small Navy boats..

So.....does your equipment do "mission critical" work, where it needs to go REALLY fast or needs to pull a tank with locked threads ??

I hope you are happy spending your money on something that you really don't need.

I am very happy NOT spending mine on that kind of stuff.

Need I say why I need that extra HP, I was able to fly with ease over the Rockies on I-70 from Denver to Vegas without a hiccup.

Banks power pack system with 5 Star tuning and no hill is to big with my setup..

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
185EZ wrote:
Remember the ford pinto?
Firestone 500 radials?
Corvair?
All death traps
What about the endless recalls even from proven manufacturers like honda?
What about the broken exhaust manifold bolts in the 8.1 and the brake recall?
Water ingestion into the intake.
They design power output to make a motor last 100,000+ miles.
Some of us don't need it to last that long and want to unleash the possibilities that the engineers tied back.
Could they do it? sure. But it may require 91 octane to fill up your 75 gallon rv tank.
Does it all work? Maybe to some degree but they wouldn't still be making it if it didn't do some sort of good.
I would bet my rv that all of you have added some sort of aftermarket item to any of your rides.

If it costs me $600 to get their Gains of 60 HP and 70 lb-ft with a simple flash and solve my driveability issue then by all means it's worth every penny.

But i did add Seafoam to my tank and gained 20% more power......

Vega-Worlds worst ever car. Only car that would break in half going down the street from rust(it actually happened). Only runner up might be the Yugo.
Gremlin-AMC designer on LSD produces a car that looks like a frog.
84 Corvette-Roger Smith on LSD also. Nobody could improve on the 66.
Pinto-Was actually a good car with a poorly placed gas tank.
Firestone radials-when I was 16 we already knew they we're junk.
Corvair-GM tries to outdo VW bug design and fails, but a lot of people loved their Corvairs. Dangerous handling.
Broken exhaust bolts-Same with Ford. They took the nickle out of the cast iron manifolds, now they warp(rotors too), and Banks exhaust was born. Great headers, but much more noise from the doghouse.
AMC Pacer-why did you forget that poor thing? and the Matador? Both mutant children of a blind designer.
Seafoam-Good cleaner/preservative.
K&N filters-Never made for the street, flows more air but also more dirt, but they look pretty which is a plus.
Get the Bank's headers you'll love em. If you can't afford then then get Thorley's.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the ford pinto?
Firestone 500 radials?
Corvair?
All death traps
What about the endless recalls even from proven manufacturers like honda?
What about the broken exhaust manifold bolts in the 8.1 and the brake recall?
Water ingestion into the intake.
They design power output to make a motor last 100,000+ miles.
Some of us don't need it to last that long and want to unleash the possibilities that the engineers tied back.
Could they do it? sure. But it may require 91 octane to fill up your 75 gallon rv tank.
Does it all work? Maybe to some degree but they wouldn't still be making it if it didn't do some sort of good.
I would bet my rv that all of you have added some sort of aftermarket item to any of your rides.

If it costs me $600 to get their Gains of 60 HP and 70 lb-ft with a simple flash and solve my driveability issue then by all means it's worth every penny.

But i did add Seafoam to my tank and gained 20% more power......

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
timmac wrote:

Banks system has been proven to work and even the military has hired his company to add HP to military ground equipment and small Navy boats..

So.....does your equipment do "mission critical" work, where it needs to go REALLY fast or needs to pull a tank with locked threads ??

I hope you are happy spending your money on something that you really don't need.

Sam: I'm with you. IMO, you can spend a lifetime rationalizing (to others) reasons for leaving things alone, . . . . to no avail. If someone wants to buy an overpriced genie in a bottle, they're going to do it. They will then rationalize reasons (just like you did) why their decision was the best option they could make and why the genie is now doing things that "professionals" who spend their life solving the same problems just "couldn't" do because they aren't smart enough and/or didn't do their research. (flame suit on)

Chum lee

Chum lee

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:

Fuel additives not needed?

I did say "most".

And I did live in the north country for about 60 years.....and did use that stuff in my diesel tractor, mostly because the fuel I used for most of the winter was still "summer" grade. I've heard that you should be good without an additive down to 10F or so IF you have winter grade fuel.

And I give my gas engines a dose of Techron every 5K miles or so.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one on the more extreme elevation trips.
I thought something was wrong and stopped and put it in neutral and it started to roll backwards.
I was lucky to hit 12 mph, lol.
IMG_0869_zpsomvpowwv (1) by 185 EZ, on Flickr

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the loss of power at altitude but mine seems to be noticeably worse especially coming from the Ford V10 with less hp and tq.
When i hit 6000' it's literally floored all the time just to try and maintain speed
I ran a system scan and everything looks good and cleaned the MAF sensor
I am towing but I towed the same trailer with the ford on the same roads
I doubt their claims of 15 hp with just wires but it sounds like a good thing to do anyway