cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Basic questions about Class B's

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I notice most class B's have small FW tanks and very little storage. For those that dry camp how do you carry extra water? Also are there any class B's made with a slide and some kind of basement storage?
43 REPLIES 43

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atlee, you make a very good point, and I am slowly coming to that same conclusion. I go back and forth between a B, a small TT, and a small B+. Still looking at a BT Cruiser that is 22ft long, 10 ft 6 ins high and 8 ft wide. More water, storage and room inside than a B. Some on here get away without a tow car depending how they camp. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, but between the three options a small TT seems to be the best option once one understands the issues with towing, backing up, and set up which you do having owned one.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most C's are 8' 4" wide. You will have trouble doing the sights in a national park such as Yellowstone.

This year I went from a 27' travel trailer to a Class C, a Redhawk 22J which is 24' long, 8'4" wide, and almost 12' tall. I realize now, I made a mistake. To get around in places like YNP, I'm going to have to buy a Toad.

I should have stayed with the trailer, or gone to a B.

Gjac wrote:
magicbus wrote:
Have any of you class B owners made the transition to a short class C?
I have not and would not. You are comparing two completely different animals. As someone recently pointed out, itโ€™s like comparing a sports car to an SUV. They both get you from here to there but serve different wants and needs. Also, I donโ€™t think people purchase Bโ€™s using a price/space ratio.

Dave
. On the surface the 24 ft B, B+, C- or C are all the same length same height and the B + and C are slightly wider. What are the details I am not seeing?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pasusan wrote:
magicbus wrote:
On the surface the 24 ft B, B+, C- or C are all the same length same height and the B + and C are slightly wider. What are the details I am not seeing?
Your statement: "It had the Ford 350 chassis and did not ride as well as the B's that I test drove..." for one. They drive completely differently. Your second statement "...B + and C are slightly wider" is interesting. My B is 76" wide while the Regency "B+" 94" wide per their specs. That's 18 inches of "slightly wider" :B which takes you out of parking between the lines in pretty much every standard parking spot.

Dave
If you look at them side by side you will certainly see a difference. If you put my B next to a View (for instance) you will see a huge difference. Smaller in every way. My B can park and go anywhere a van can since it is one. A B+ (C-) View can't. MPG will also suffer when you are driving a large box down the road compared to a van.

But - you do have to be a special person to own a B. Not everyone can do it - or will want to.

Good luck!
. You are right. We used to camp in a Hi top van when younger and really enjoyed it . Then people said to me buy your last RV first because you will want to end up with a 40 ft DP anyways. Some do some donโ€™t , as we get older many off us want things easier and simpler. My wife of 52 years wants to just stay in hotels now, she backpacked With me into our late 50โ€™s. So to me smaller RVโ€™s seemed like a good compromise and become more attractive but every thing Is a trade off and finding the right one for your stage of life takes some research and understanding the details and your wife.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
But - you do have to be a special person to own a B.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
On the surface the 24 ft B, B+, C- or C are all the same length same height and the B + and C are slightly wider. What are the details I am not seeing?
Your statement: "It had the Ford 350 chassis and did not ride as well as the B's that I test drove..." for one. They drive completely differently. Your second statement "...B + and C are slightly wider" is interesting. My B is 76" wide while the Regency "B+" 94" wide per their specs. That's 18 inches of "slightly wider" :B which takes you out of parking between the lines in pretty much every standard parking spot.

Dave
If you look at them side by side you will certainly see a difference. If you put my B next to a View (for instance) you will see a huge difference. Smaller in every way. My B can park and go anywhere a van can since it is one. A B+ (C-) View can't. MPG will also suffer when you are driving a large box down the road compared to a van.

But - you do have to be a special person to own a B. Not everyone can do it - or will want to.

Good luck!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
Iโ€™m sure the Roadtrek Zion is nice but you just switched gears. Your discussion has been the you seem to get more in a B+ or a C verses a B, but when I pointed out some major differences you say you liked the Roadtrek B. Iโ€™m just kind of losing track of what you are trying to compare and what point you are trying to make.

Dave
Not switching any gears, don't know much about them just started looking at them. Test drove one B one B+ and one small C. Just trying to understand the differences, advantages and disadvantages to all three. I said I liked the ride of the Roadtrek but that is just one factor to consider in picking the right RV for me. Everything is a trade off there is no perfect vehicle that will have everything you want.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m sure the Roadtrek Zion is nice but you just switched gears. Your discussion has been the you seem to get more in a B+ or a C verses a B, but when I pointed out some major differences you say you liked the Roadtrek B. Iโ€™m just kind of losing track of what you are trying to compare and what point you are trying to make.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:

Dave
I looked at the RoadTrek Zion Class B on the 3500 Promaster chassis it is 83 ins wide not counting the mirrors, I guess the Mercedes chassis is more narrow. I did not test drive any on that chassis. But the ride on the Promaster was nice.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
magicbus wrote:
I have not and would not. You are comparing two completely different animals. As someone recently pointed out, itโ€™s like comparing a sports car to an SUV. They both get you from here to there but serve different wants and needs. Also, I donโ€™t think people purchase Bโ€™s using a price/space ratio.

Dave
. On the surface the 24 ft B, B+, C- or C are all the same length same height and the B + and C are slightly wider. What are the details I am not seeing?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Songbirds wrote:
I'm not sure what you need so much water for. But there is a thing that looks like a long tube on top of the MH VAN that come in 2-sizes and a hose that swings down for taking a shower and the water is hot. I'm not the size. I just did a simple search and I think if you type Portable water tanks you will find more than a few ideas listed.
Yeah I have seen those set ups, water is important if you dry camp mostly which I do, more important than battery power to me. I still donโ€™t understand the Li battery up grade for $ 7000 when 2 6v GC batteries last me a week and water will be gone in 4 days or less with a std set up.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what you need so much water for. But there is a thing that looks like a long tube on top of the MH VAN that come in 2-sizes and a hose that swings down for taking a shower and the water is hot. I'm not the size. I just did a simple search and I think if you type Portable water tanks you will find more than a few ideas listed.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
While looking at Class B's and B pluses yesterday I noticed a 2019 Leprechaun 230 CB is was about the same size as the Regency B plus about 24 ft, about the same height, a little wider but a shorter WB. It also had a lot more room inside, water, and a lot of storage. The rear storage bay was huge add could hold 2 bikes and more. It had the Ford 350 chassis and did not ride as well as the B's that I test drove but was much cheaper. To me it seemed like a good trade off to go with the small C with no slide for about 30% less money. Have any of you class B owners made the transition to a short class C ?