cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bath and a half dump station?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I had plans for my first day of motorhome shopping yesterday and wasn't able to go so next Saturday will be the time. The question below is one of the questions I was going to ask at the dealership.

I was watching a walk around video the other day and saw something that surprised me, if I saw it right? If you have a bath and a half do you have two dump stations outside the coach? I just thought it would all go into one place.

When you're hooking up and flushing the black tank is it clean and orderly if done correctly or is it a dirty job under the best of circumstances? I've read that this is the worst part of camping!

Thanks guys
39 REPLIES 39

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup,. I have 3 waste tanks. Black, Gray and Wash (Rear shower and lavs).

Rules depend on the tank

Places I know of where you can legally dumnp Black tank on ground: NONE

Places where you can legally dumnp GRAY.. Well quite a few but still "Few"

Places where you can dump WASH on the ground legally.. Many

NOTE: Many does not equal EVERYWHERE.

Difference between Wash and GRY... Kitchen sink (food particles).

I use a 3/4" Gray hose for the shower/rear basins, and 3" for the other stuff, Adapters at the sewer inlet (hole in ground)handle the mix.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bath and half and two black tanks and two grey tanks. They all have a separate valve to them but empty into one outlet. So there is just one hook up to the sewer system.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don, Is the SaniCon system something you add on or is it a system the comes with different coaches?

J-Rooster, do all coaches have an Oscillator? The 5 gallons of water with Dawn sounds like a very good idea. Hey Ivylog, is a grinding pump used to break up the solids and is it on all motorhomes? And does it run manually or automatic?

The MH I was looking at that prompted my question was a 37' gasser. After watching the video again I still can't tell if they were talking another black tank or gray water tank?

I'm happy you guys answere more than I ask for. I don't know enough to know what to ask and your filling in the blank is helpful to the max!

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Some fifth wheels and a few motor homes are unable to plumb the two toilets into one tank due to obstructions by the frame and other components. Consequently, they require two tanks.

My coach has the bath and a half that dumps into one tank. I use a SaniCon system, which is a macerator pump. I NEVER have to remove the sewer hose or rinse it out. I pump out my black tank and then my grey tank. Once its empty, I cap the 1" hose with a screw on cap and place it back in the water bay. I'm done. Many say its slower, but I'm not pulling out, rinsing and putting away nasty hoses. Mine also has an electric black tank valve with a second switch for the valve and SaniCon inside the coach. On the day of departure, I can dump my tanks before I even go outside. When I do leave, I put the SaniCon hose in the bay, roll up the water hose and roll up the power cord....about 5 minutes.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most DPs will have only one point for everything. Instead of starting with the black when dumping you will learn to try a little grey first... easier to clean up if something goes wrong. You will find some that wear gloves and often take forever to dump and some that get it done fairly quickly. Not the highlight of camping and doubt you can get the DW to do it. While I have a grinding pump I only use it to pump uphill as it takes much longer... Others like it's smaller/longer hose.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

RLHAMILTON
Explorer
Explorer
We have bath and a half, and both empty into one black tank. Good luck!
DICK & JUDY HAMILTON
2012 WINNEBAGO JOURNEY
2017 EQUINOX TOAD
LIFETIME GOOD SAM MEMBER, FMCA, PP AMERICA
FMCA MEMBER F-386544

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 35-U we have a complete bath all in one room. When I empty the black tank when finished I do 2 things to keep my black tank clean. Use the oscillator to clean the inside of the black tank then drain again. And before I head out anywhere I put 1/2 cup of Blue Dawn and 5 gallons of water down the toilet and let it slush around down in the black tank as I'm driving down the Blvd. (Interstate) it really helps keeping the tanks clean!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
When you're hooking up and flushing the black tank is it clean and orderly if done correctly or is it a dirty job under the best of circumstances? I've read that this is the worst part of camping!

If you're careful it can be clean and orderly.
It's not the best part of camping, it's just part of camping. After you do it a few times you will learn how to do it as neatly as possible.
I'd rather dump my holding tanks than fill the gas tank. So no, it's not the worst part of camping. 🙂
Enjoy your travels.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
HJ, we have a bath and a half and only have one black tank. Actually, we only have one holding tank for black and grey.

I've heard that some units, maybe 5th wheels, will have two grey tanks, one for the kitchen sink and the other for the rest of the trailer. I've never heard of two black tanks on either type coach but I guess it could be out there.

On ours, since the full bath is way in the back, our shower has an additional pump to send the shower water to the holding tank. It comes on automatically and stays in the 'on' position although I can control it at a panel if I need to take power away from the pump.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the coach and how it is constructed....most I've seen with a bath and a half have the two toilets with vacuum and/or macerator electric motor that deposits all into one black tank...However, I've seen some of the gassers have two black tank setups...it all depends on the architecture/setup of it...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)