cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bath tub slow to drain

kokois1
Explorer
Explorer
Our bath tub has started draining slowly. What is safe to use in a MH tub and drain lines? Thanks!
Steve and LuAnne
2010 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 33U
Ford V10 Power Platform
Golden Retriever: KoKo
14 REPLIES 14

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Drain Cleaner

We raised three girls. This tool saved me many times.
Thanks Arch, I'm buying 2 of them one for the coach and one for the stick built next time I'm at home Depot!

kokois1
Explorer
Explorer
Task completed! Drains, all of them, cleaned out. Thanks for all the responses.
Steve and LuAnne
Ford V10 Power Platform

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I am also a fan of the ZipIt tool mentioned above, but I don't throw it away after it is used once. In fact I have been using the same one for several years. I just wipe it clean after use being very careful to avoid those sharp points.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made a tool out of a section of garden hose and a bicycle inner tube that fits in my drains. When ever they become slow to drain I insert it into the drain and turn on the hose. The water under pressure cleans the drains. It seems like I have to do this every other year. I also have the "zipit" drain cleaner but that does not remove soap scum buildup only hair if you can fully insert it.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at the tub drain and see if there is a screw to remove the top cover. If there is, take the cover off and manually clean out the drain with one of the many plastic snags used to grab hair and other debris. Once this is done, things should be fine, until the next time.

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
After you get things cleaned out, you might consider using a small drain screen. We get them at the flea market. It is amazing how much hair is in one after just a few showers. We have been in our RV full time for 2 1/2 years now without ever having a drain clog.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Double ditto on the hair snare sold a bunch when I worked 4 the depot got lots of great feed back from the customers one dad with 3 long haired teen girls came back and told me "had them use it really grossed them out, now they are more careful with what goes down the drain"

Jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
kokois1....Sometimes it's hard to see, but many RV showers/tubs have a chrome drain cover and then another built in strainer under them. Check to see if you have two. If so, remove the chrome one and clean out the junk under it.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

kokois1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. I have one of those but didn't try it as yet because I didn't think it would go far enough. I will give it a plunge and see what comes up! Thanks again!
Steve and LuAnne
Ford V10 Power Platform

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Vinegar and backing soda.

Pogoil.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Drain Cleaner

I wouldn't be without one of these gizmo's. Simple and it WORKS!

Found at most any hardware store. I carry 3-4 and throw it away after it's used. Don't need it often, but when the time comes you'll be glad you have one. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Drain Cleaner

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog and long hair women do you in. Pull the screen and clean the large amount of hair out of the drain.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
There's hair in there. It's gross, no doubt. But when that happens at our sticks and bricks, I use a forceps to clean out what I can see and get the hair OVER the crossbars out, then a plunger in a couple inches of water, and that cleans it right out. Until, of course, the next time. No need to use chemicals.

Indeed, many campgrounds I've been in make it clear that they don't want ANY chemicals in their sewage system. So while "something safe to use in a MH tub & drains" might clear up YOUR immediate problem, I'm not so sure that "stuff" would be welcome in any sewage system.

Hair is really hard to break up/dissolve/remove in any way other than mechanical.