cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Disconnect Switch?

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
So as we pull the covers off the Motorhome, who can tell me about the Battery Disconnect Switch and why it's in the Motorhome. I love the switch. anyone have them in smaller Class B and C's? as this I do not know. I would think so but do not know. So other than YOUTUBE and RV.NET FAQ, bit showing information about the importance of the Battery Disconnect Switch, what do you like or know about this switch.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
12 REPLIES 12

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The "salesman switch" on my coach is distinct from the Battery Disconnect. The disconnect switch is located in the house battery compartment and cuts off most of the current from the batteries. If the inverter is left on there will be some draw for the autogen start etc. The Salesman Switch is by the entry door and, operating through a relay, it cuts off 12 v DC to the interior of the coach, lights, refrigerator etc. I can see no use for it since it turns off the refrigerator. If it didn't do that, I would consider it a neat master light light switch. As it is, as a full timer I never have a use for it. Also I have adequate solar that I can leave the coach stored outdoors and only need to cut off the chassis batteries as the solar keeps the house up just fine.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to hijack the thread, but i need a piece welded on the motorhome, can I use the battery disconnect switch instead of disconnecting the chassis batteries when we weld the bracket back on?
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a disconnect for the motor battery and the house battery. We have only had it stored one time and had both engine and house batteries disconnected with the switch. Went back 6 mo later and turn batteries on - it started right up and no problems with house battery either. When we sit for a longer period, say a month or longer, we use the disconnect on the motor battery so that it keeps it charge longer. Routinely sit for 4-6 months and it always starts right up when re-engaged.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I work at an RV dealership and haven't come across a motorhome that didn't have a battery disconnect of some sort.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4van wrote:
Personally, I've never seen an RV that didn't have a battery disconnect switch (not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen one). All 3 of mine (2 C's, 1 A, as far back as a 1979 model) have had not only the battery disconnect, but also the boost switch as well. Since nearly all RVs (other than perhaps full-timers) are subject to long periods of storage, it would make no sense NOT to have one.

BTW, I wish people would stop referring to them as "salesman" switches; I've NEVER seen one labeled as such, and it has nothing to do with showing/selling the rig; IT IS FOR LONG TERM STORAGE! Using the "salesman switch" term misleads newbies into finding their batteries dead/damaged.

Lots of RV's don't have them. On our old unit, I would just disconnect the batter cables. Not a huge burden but a switch is more convenient. I never got around to adding one.

Never heard of them being called a "salesman" switch...though probably a nice convenience for the dealership...trying to keep 100 RV batteries charged up would be a pain so if you taught your staff to turn them on only while showing a unit it would lead to a lot fewer dead batteries when the customer asks to see the slides operate.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally, I've never seen an RV that didn't have a battery disconnect switch (not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen one). All 3 of mine (2 C's, 1 A, as far back as a 1979 model) have had not only the battery disconnect, but also the boost switch as well. Since nearly all RVs (other than perhaps full-timers) are subject to long periods of storage, it would make no sense NOT to have one.

BTW, I wish people would stop referring to them as "salesman" switches; I've NEVER seen one labeled as such, and it has nothing to do with showing/selling the rig; IT IS FOR LONG TERM STORAGE! Using the "salesman switch" term misleads newbies into finding their batteries dead/damaged.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Nice feedback and a wonderful reading lesson understand why every RV should have the Battery Disconnect Switch INSTALLED by dealer or SELF-aftermarket, Thanks, everyone. 🙂
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Battery disconnect switches are pretty standard on boats and I often wondered why not on RV's. In addition to disconnecting all the loads when you store the rig, as noted above it is a safety feature. Should you have an electrical fire in the 12 VDC system, it is nice to have a single place to quickly disconnect all sources of power. Perhaps a little overkill, but then again I worked as an Instrumentation & Controls Design Engineer in a nuclear power plant for over 30 years and if my rig didn't have one, I'd install one.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a battery disconnect switch on my TT, boat and classic car. I disconnect the battery evert time I am not using the item. It prevents the battery being drained from paracitic drains (like a radio) over a period of time.

BUT I also use it as a safety item in case of an electrical short. I had an elecrtrical short in the dash of an older car - I did not have time to get to the battery and disconnect before the whole wiring harness melted.

Also makes for a great anti-theft device.
Gerry

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Battery disconnect switch is usually used when you store the rig - it takes the batteries off line and is suppose to prevent various devices like alarms etc from depleting the battery when in storage.
Kevin

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I changed ours from a battery disconnect to a house disconnect so, with the switch off, solar and engine charging can carry on but no power to the lights, fans, fridge, etc. Sometimes I think the fridge should have been left out of the things cut off but it is handy to reach in the door and cut off the fridge flame at a gas station. Also the backup camera.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one on the boat. The disconnect shuts off all your pirate power draws like smoke alarms, and CO alarms when the rig is idle. I just disconnect the ground wire on my rig because there is no disconnect switch.