cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Disconnect Switch

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that the battery disconnect switch located beside the door on my C is for the house battery. Does this affect anything if you are hooked up to shore power? Should we turn it off when we're not on battery power?
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy
6 REPLIES 6

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
The relay on our Fleetwood rig is in a small compartment next to the house battery compartment. It gives a fairly loud "thunk" sound when the aux switch is turned on or off.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
WA7NDD wrote:
It is winter, big time, here in Idaho, so the MH is packed away in the garage. It is a Four Winds 5000 23rk 1998, and new to us since September. It has the disconnect switch next to the entrance door. We have never owned one with this switch before. I understand how it works, but, where is the disconnect latching relay located? I would think it is either near the battery, or near the converter.

If you have someone operate the switch you should be able to hear the latching relay as you walk around the MH. It's not very loud so you need a quiet environment. Mine is under the bed near the converter.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
It is winter, big time, here in Idaho, so the MH is packed away in the garage. It is a Four Winds 5000 23rk 1998, and new to us since September. It has the disconnect switch next to the entrance door. We have never owned one with this switch before. I understand how it works, but, where is the disconnect latching relay located? I would think it is either near the battery, or near the converter.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
On some rigs, 12 volt interior lights might not work if you turn disconnect switch off, even though rig is connected to shore power.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
No leave it on.
With it off your Coach batts may not charge.

Turn off when storing MH.

X2 It may not turn everything off, depending on how it is wired. To be safe in storage, if you are not plugged in, disconnect the negative lead from the battery.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
No leave it on.
With it off your Coach batts may not charge.

Turn off when storing MH.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+