cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bedroom Slide won't Extend

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding my 1999 Winnebago Chieftain using HWH Series 200 hydraulic leveling jacks with 2 slides.

I was parked for a week before making a propane run. The slides and Jacks retracted normally. When I returned, the levelers worked per normal and living room slide extended. The bedroom slide went out about 12 inches and stopped. I retracted then tried to extend again but no action at all. I don't hear the pump, only the switch clicking.

I'd had a problem retracting both slides back in March. That turned out to be caused by low fluid. I checked the level this time. It took 1 1/2 quarts, but I'm still unable to extend the bedroom.

I've got the switch exposed and will check it. But first I decided to call HWH. They said they are very busy and it would be a week before someone would call me back!

So now I'm reaching out to rv.net folks. l'v received great help before.

TIA

Mike
11 REPLIES 11

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
As I reported yesterday, the problem was the Chassis Battery. I replaced it and all is well.

I have the original HWH manual and nowhere does it caution about completing extension before retraction.

Mike

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
mmccray100 wrote:
Regarding my 1999 Winnebago Chieftain using HWH Series 200 hydraulic leveling jacks with 2 slides.

I was parked for a week before making a propane run. The slides and Jacks retracted normally. When I returned, the levelers worked per normal and living room slide extended. The bedroom slide went out about 12 inches and stopped. I retracted then tried to extend again but no action at all. I don't hear the pump, only the switch clicking.

I'd had a problem retracting both slides back in March. That turned out to be caused by low fluid. I checked the level this time. It took 1 1/2 quarts, but I'm still unable to extend the bedroom.

I've got the switch exposed and will check it. But first I decided to call HWH. They said they are very busy and it would be a week before someone would call me back!

TIA

Mike

Mike,
Well, since no one's commented on it, I'll mention it. You state you had to add "1 1/2" quarts? Wow, that's a pretty fair amount of fluid in my book. The reservoir on most coaches for the two systems is not all that big so, 1.5 Qts. is a lot. You don't mention a leak, puddleing, or seeping anywhere. We have a similar system on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT.

On occasion, it too will run the bedroom slide out about 1/2 way and quit. Now, in my HWH manual and, the owners manual for the Itasca both state that you SHOULD NOT extend either slide a partial amount, then retract them. It states to EXTEND EITHER SLIDE, TO FULL EXTENSION AND THEN, RETRACT IT. And, it goes for the retraction too. Fully retract either slide, THEN extend it. You can, in semi-emergency conditions, go the opposite direction of what you're doing, if you're only 1/2 way in or out but, it's not recommended.

Anyway, on yours, if you're not hearing the pump, sounds like you're not obviously getting juice to the motor. Other than to tell you to start back tracking the flow of electricity to find out where the issue is, not sure what else to advise you here. Good luck.
Scott

I guess they are all different. I'm not in front of my HWH manual right now but I could swear that it said to move it in and out six inches or so to adjust.

Mike,
I have parts and service manuals for the levelers but, I can't find any right now for the slide operation. It was in my owners manual for the Itasca where it stated to extend or, retract, for the entire travel of the slide, before reversing. I'll dig that up tomorrow just to make sure I'm not producing bad info.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
mmccray100 wrote:

TIA

Mike

Mike,
Well, since no one's commented on it, I'll mention it. You state you had to add "1 1/2" quarts? Wow, that's a pretty fair amount of fluid in my book. The reservoir on most coaches for the two systems is not all that big so, 1.5 Qts. is a lot. You don't mention a leak, puddleing, or seeping anywhere. We have a similar system on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT.

On occasion, it too will run the bedroom slide out about 1/2 way and quit. Now, in my HWH manual and, the owners manual for the Itasca both state that you SHOULD NOT extend either slide a partial amount, then retract them. It states to EXTEND EITHER SLIDE, TO FULL EXTENSION AND THEN, RETRACT IT. And, it goes for the retraction too. Fully retract either slide, THEN extend it. You can, in semi-emergency conditions, go the opposite direction of what you're doing, if you're only 1/2 way in or out but, it's not recommended.

Anyway, on yours, if you're not hearing the pump, sounds like you're not obviously getting juice to the motor. Other than to tell you to start back tracking the flow of electricity to find out where the issue is, not sure what else to advise you here. Good luck.
Scott

I guess they are all different. I'm not in front of my HWH manual right now but I could swear that it said to move it in and out six inches or so to adjust.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved. It was the Chassis battery. Just replaced it and everything is working fine.

As for the amount of fluid, yes I put in 1.5 quarts. I cannot see a puddle anywhere, so I don't know where it went. When the RV tech added fluid, 2 months ago, he put in 1 quart. I don't know if that filled it up or not. He used my fluid and I had only 1.

In a week when HWH gets around to calling, I'll ask about the fluid level/capacity.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mike

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mmccray100 wrote:

TIA

Mike

Mike,

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

horizon36
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem, maybe. When trying to move the slide do you hear the pump running, but are getting little or no movement? If so, it could be a defective shuttle valve. I took mine to a trusted service shop and that's what HWH diagnosed with the tech over the phone. Replace the valve and all is good.
Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of the most common causes would be a bad switch, bad relay, or trip Circuit breaker our fuse which you coach uses.

Our coach uses self resetting circuit breakers and when I had a similar problem, it drove me nuts until I replaced both the CB and also the relay.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
While you try the slide switch, also switch on your "battery boost" switch to add those batteries to the circuit.
If you do not hear the pump running, it is not low on fluid or have air in the system. It is an electrical problem.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Have you gone to the HWH website and downloaded the troubleshooting guide for your series jacks?
www.hwh.com

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could be air in the system. Cycle the slides several times to work the air out. The other things I would consider are low battery voltage. Pull the battery and have it checked for a shorted cell. Another possible cause is the solenoid. The contacts inside the solenoid can get dirty. The solenoid will still click, but the contacts won't let enough current pass to operate the slides. Check it by installing an amp gage between the solenoid terminal and the pump.

I'm having the same issue with my FW. I just haven't had the time to deal with it.