Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best brands/models, early 2000s. Class A Diesel

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Looking to purchase a used Class A Diesel. Budget is around 30k. Looking at early 2000s. Would prefer a 10000 LB Tow capacity as well.

What brands are the best in that year. We have seen a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavour that we really like but it is closer to 34k.

Most of the Fleetwoods have only 5k hitches.

Thanks in advance

Ty
25 REPLIES 25

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Ty, Cummins would be able to tell if the fuel pump was replaced at a Cummins dealership. If they pit it on the computer it will tell what codes have been thrown. My stop engine light came on 3 times and deregulated once. The computer said it had thrown that code 71 times. So had been that way when I bought it. I had owned it for 3 years and driven it 8k miles. As for the cosmetic issues people are pointing out, it is 17 years old. NADA seems low but a good starting point. Most of that age are more than the asking price of the one you are looking at. Good luck.

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the tiffin stays in our price range.

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
After checking out some reviews I think we will stick with the Monaco. Better quality than the Gulfstream or the Coachmen.

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a 2003 tiffin phaeton but I'm sure that will climb out of our budget.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
FLmedic41 wrote:
Hey all,

Still searching for our perfect coach but recently found a 2001 Monaco Diplomat. Spoke to the guy on the phone and he took it in on trade on some motorcycles. Looks to be in pretty good shape..

https://ocala.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2001-monaco-diplomat-class/6563735164.html

Any thoughts?
Ty

Click

Hate the bathroom layout,1/4 round moulding looks like a 8 year old did it,some body damage,vinyl graphics
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
Also have the opportunity to bid on two units that catch my eye at a dealer auction. The problem is I won't be able to see those in person either prior to the auction.

Those are a 2004 Coachmen cross-country with 62k miles and a 2004 Gulfstream Crescendo with 84k miles.

My thoughts are to put a price limit on the to auction vehicles. Something like 24K. This will still allow me to get a decent deal and leave some money in reserve to have fluids changed and tune ups done on Motors. All the pictures that are available of the units look like they're in pretty good shape. The Gulfstream crescendo is being sold by Camping World RVs. So likely a trade in that they couldn't sell on the lot so sent to auction.

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen it in person yet. He said the AC vent was missing a screw and its been repaired.

There is a Cummins center nearby. Want to see if they will come out to scan motor. Would they be able to tell if the fuel pump had been replaced.

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard to tell from a few pictures. I noted some body damage on both sides. More concerning to me is that I see what appears to be the bedroom roof A/C interior bezel hanging down. Can't tell why, but one would certainly want to check the reason for that....hopefully not water damage from leaking around the A/C that caused whatever holds that bezel in place to rot out.

Without a thorough examination of the unit it's hard to give advice on whether it's a good buy or not. Looking at NADA it shows the 2001 Monaco Diplomat Average value at $24,900. At $7100 over that, one would certainly hope that the seller has plenty of room to go down.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the fuel pump issue and is there any way to know if that has been done already? I read something about throughout searches.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Ty, we have similar Dip, cherry interior. Overall been happy with it, bought 5 years ago with 39,000 miles. I see the tile floors were changed out but still has carpet. I changed out carpet for cork, and will be changing tile probably for better tile or maybe bamboo. Only major issue was fuel pump which is a engine issue, not coach. Cummins issue in that vintage. I would recommend having truck shop do computer check on engine and transmission at same time. Fuel pump issue cost $7200 but we only paid $30,000 due to cosmetic issues, so I am still OK with it. 65k on it now. Am planning 15,000 mile trip this fall. Hope this helps, very happy with Monaco and would buy another.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
FLmedic41 wrote:
Hey all,

Still searching for our perfect coach but recently found a 2001 Monaco Diplomat. Spoke to the guy on the phone and he took it in on trade on some motorcycles. Looks to be in pretty good shape..

Any thoughts?
Ty

Click
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

FLmedic41
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Any thoughts?
Ty

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Since the 04 Endeavor has only 2 slides...it's a tossup.

🙂 Two slides is what we purposely sought when we bought ours ... and they had to be on the same side. We enjoy forest service campgrounds... with trees .... and didn't want to have to fit multiple slides on both sides inbetween trees. Plus, we wanted the bigger patio.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the 04 Endeavor has only 2 slides...it's a tossup. One item we hoped to have when upgrading was no window over the head of the bed...cold even in Florida. Some people like the kitchen on the driver's side so the dining table is not looking at the neighbor on that side...neither are deal breakers. Both ride on the same RR8R chassis. The generator door can be adjusted. Both need TVs...not a big deal with thin LED's less than $200.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...