cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from Oregon to Utah

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
So, we are about to move from Roseburg Oregon (in SW Oregon) to St. George Utah in about 2.5 weeks. We own a 1989 Gulfstream Sunsport with low miles (53,000 original.) My question is this: Since we haven't taken this RV on an extended trip yet, we are considering several different options as to which route we should take: The first route is the shortest, south to California and then East across Nevada and the great emptiness. The second route to consider is to go south in California, all the way to either Bakersfield or LA and then east through Las Vegas and then to St. George. The final option is to go North to Portland and then east across N. Oregon to Baker City, then through Boise, and finally south through Utah to St. George. Having said all this, I am currently leaning towards the third route simply because it is not too remote, but also doesn't pass through any major cities like LA. However, this route is about 250 miles further than the shortest route (route 1) and since money is an issue for us, I am now reconsidering this plan. I know I don't want to take the route through Nevada simply because it is so remote and should anything bad happen to the RV, I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. So now, route 2 is looking like it might be better. So, any thoughts or advice?
8 REPLIES 8

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like a 'just get there trip' instead of a sight seeing trip. For a trip in your situation, I would stay on the Interstates as much as possible.
Have stayed at the KOA in Boise several times; a little crowded but a nice place.
Take the route that you are most confortable with. 100 miles longer is only 2 more hours, and maybe $60 extra gas. Is it worth your peace of mind?

Travel Safe
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I-5 to Bakersfield and east to I-15 to St. George is 1100 miles.

I-5 north to I-84 to Boise to I-15 south to St. George is 1242 miles.

OR138 to 97 and north to Bend then US20 east to I-84 just north of Boise to I-84 to I-15 to St. George is 1127 miles.

OR138 is the route we'd suggest. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Go over the hill to k falls and head east to Lakeview and 395 south to I80 across Nevada to SLC and go south from there. Basically an easy drive the whole way. As an alternative SE to Alturus and to 395 south
Easy drive, can be a little boring.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Grant_Lasson
Explorer
Explorer
I've been stranded before. It affects the way you make future choices, if you don't have confidence in your Gulfstream, then you have the right idea--use highway 84 to I-15. You're never too far from help on that one. Also get Coach-Net.

If you have confidence, then there is a great route from SE OR that drops you in to Winnemucca. I took that route a few years ago. It defines remote. I was sure glad I didn't break down on that road.

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
the route south to bakersfield and then east involves some major heat and wind, remarkably usually not a tail wind. we've been blown so hard once or twice on 395, just gave up the day's goal and found a place off the road. interstate 80 can be the same (lots of heat and wind)....sometimes the slightly longer route is really the best.
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid I-10 in Los Angeles.

Go East from Bakersfield on hwy 58 to I-15 then to Las Vegas if you go that way.

Lots of very nice RV parks in Bakersfield. But HOT!
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Hap-E-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
None of the above routes that you have proposed seem very good. Your responder above has a good suggestion, though.

For an alternative, Mapquest.com routes this trip through Reno to Las Vegas, and then north again to St. George for 963 miles. You go south on I-5 to Weed, then cut over through Burney to Susanville and on into Reno. This is beautiful country, with many Forest Service campgrounds and a scenic State Park at Burney Falls (highly recommended). You could also take a jog over to Lassen National Park on the way. From Reno, Mapquest routes you to Fernley and then south via Hawthorne through the desert to Las Vegas. I personally would instead go south out of Reno on Hwy 395, taking the scenic route down the east side of the Sierras, crossing over the White Mountains (a very high, narrow, and steep pass, but you can camp and view the ancient Bristlecone Pines on the way) to join Hwy 95 north of LV at Lida Junction. Then south on Hwy 95 through Beatty to I-215 on the N. side of the LV valley, and on to I-15 north to St. George. PLEASE BE AWARE that it will be VERY HOT on the southernmost leg of any route you take, so be prepared. Good Luck and God Bless!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go over the hill to k falls and head east to Lakeview and 395 south to I80 across Nevada to SLC and go south from there. Basically an easy drive the whole way. As an alternative SE to Alturus and to 395 south