Best route Monterey Bay to Tehacapi CA

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Best I can tell, I have 3 choices.
1. Take 101 to Paso Robles then 46 over to I-5 then over to Bakersfield
2. Take 152 over to I-5 then south
3. Take 152 over to Hiway 99 then south

Any recommendations on the best way? 38'DP with a toad.
What's the best way to get from I-5 over to 99 north of Bakersfield?

Thanks
Brian
7 REPLIES 7

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Took the 46 from Paso Robles, thanks again for the advice. That's a good road, glad I went that way.
Brian

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Brian, take US101 South to Paso Robles then take CA46 all the way across to 99. Go South on 99 to CA58 east to Tehachapi....While on CA46 you might want to stop and visit the James Dean Monument. He was killed at the intersection of CA41 and CA 46...also, in Tehachapi visit the Tehachapi Loop....Dennis

I second that as well. We used to make that trip regularly, and liked it the best.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Went to that campground last spring for 2 days. Wanted to see the trains on the Loop.
Guess what...they shut the railroad down for maintenance for the whole day and part of the next. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

I'd wanted to do that trip for the last 15 years...ticked me off!!

I like Dennis's route suggestion the best.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. I've stayed at the RV park next to the glider port several times, I agree, I like it too. I've been to the Tehachapi Loop several times, kewl place, and kewl engineering.
Thanks again.
Brian

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, if you're already in Monterey take 101. Going back to 152 is a lot of backtracking. That and 101 to 46 is just a lot nicer ride than the Central Valley.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Brian, take US101 South to Paso Robles then take CA46 all the way across to 99. Go South on 99 to CA58 east to Tehachapi....While on CA46 you might want to stop and visit the James Dean Monument. He was killed at the intersection of CA41 and CA 46...also, in Tehachapi visit the Tehachapi Loop....Dennis
I agree with Dennis route. Brian if your going to stay in Tehachapi overnight I recommend the RV Park up by the airport! Can't remember the name? RV.Net member mssmith recommended it to me great place to stay nice and not expensive.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG