cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best years for Sprinter based used motorhomes

funpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot afford a new class C Sprinter based motorhome so am looking at used ones. What past years would you encourage me to look at, which ones to avoid, and your reasons why would be great for me and other readers of this thread.
10 REPLIES 10

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonzo42 wrote:
Opinions differ on the V5 vs V6.
V5? I'd have a few opinions about that myself!!! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚ (I believe I've read about some being designed and even implemented, but I don't think they reached any level of popularity.)

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
'07 to '09 have the V6 diesel without DEF plus some Dodge dealers will service them as opposed to going to the Mercedes-Benz dealer.
Currently Between RVs

funpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Great feedback. TY

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
The V6 was introduced in the 2007 chassis. The first Class C's with them are 2008 models. Winnebago did not re-engineer their frame extensions so 5000# hitches first appear on the 2009 models. Not sure about other manufacturers, but something to check.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just fixed a broken egr tube on a 08 Sprinter. The 3.0 must be a good engine as it has 435K on it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
There are three engines to choose from with US Sprinters:

OM602 -- 5 cylinder engine.
OM642 -- 3.0 V6
OM651 -- 2.1 four cylinder engine.

The OM642 is a smooth engine. The five-cylinder model is noticably rougher, but it can handle a higher percentage of biodiesel. The four-banger has had some good results, but it is more designed for short stops in a city as opposed to going up and down hills and long distance travel.

...and two versions of the V6. In 2010 the V6 got a power boost with the addition of some more emissions equipment (most notably DEF).
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There are three engines to choose from with US Sprinters:

OM602 -- 5 cylinder engine.
OM642 -- 3.0 V6
OM651 -- 2.1 four cylinder engine.

The OM642 is a smooth engine. The five-cylinder model is noticably rougher, but it can handle a higher percentage of biodiesel. The four-banger has had some good results, but it is more designed for short stops in a city as opposed to going up and down hills and long distance travel.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My work has several of the Sprinters. they really liked the gas mileage, however around 118,000 to 125,000 miles, they have a transmission failure. The transmission company says there is nothing left to rebuild. So they buy new transmissions and spend about $4,000 installed.

Our work tends to put 50,000 miles a year on many of the vans. .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions differ on the V5 vs V6. Ours is the V6 and it has performed very well. See my sig.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned one but have kept an eye on them since they came out. I was initially disappointed with the 5-cyl Diesel and it did not fit my needs. Since the V6 came out, I've been tempted once my current van wears out.

I think the V6 (2nd generation) is a much better van to the original - especially for US roads - think long distance hauling stuff....

Gerry
Gerry