cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank chemicals, Happy Campers, TST, Aqua Kem ???

rvgrammady
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a trip and several people discussed toilet chemicals.

OK which do you use?

I travel single and my black tank can last up to 7-8 days or more depending if there are facilities on-site or not.

I have used TST and Aqua Kem before and never noticed any orders but my sensors are not reading very accurately. Many people say use Happy Campers and it cleans the sensors..

Opinions please..

Tks Dy
In Northern Calif
1997 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy
1998 Saturn SW2 Wagon, Automatic
Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake

"We'll be friends until I'm old and senile, then we'll be new friends."
27 REPLIES 27

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody said that the smell would come into the motor home. The traps prevent the smell from coming in, BUT! when you dump and apparently some do not care about there neighbors. It stinks up the whole Resort. Simply disgusting that some folks just do not want to spend on something that dissolves solids and cuts down the smell because Enzymes eat up all the waste and keeps the sensors working.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
The vacuum breaker and p traps keep the smell out. The black tank will come up when you flush if you are using an exhaust fan and no open windows but if it is not running then nothing really comes up. I just use water and after I dump add a bit of dawn dish soap in to clean the bowl with water as we drive then we flush it and keep going.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The P traps in your faucets/shower prevent odors from coming from the tanks into RVs. Chemicals have nothing to do with it...water only. If you want something to help evacuate the tanks, concentrated dish soap (Dawn) will help.
2014 American Eagle

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've never used chemicals in my black or gray tanks! I use RV Digest in my black tank it eats everything up in the black tank via organisms that digest everything in the tanks.

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the single pack laundry soap and use 3 of them I dump the soap out of each package. I mix them in hot water in the bathroom sink which goes to the black tank. The only thing I know its doing is lubricating the valve. As far as black tank smell goes I use a 3 inch hose and allow a trap in the hose and that stops the sewer gas from the campground to back up into my system.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Another happy Happy Camper user here.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we haven't found anything that will clean the sensors. We use Thetford Campa Clean in the small bottles. We use 2 bottles for our holding tank (read directions). No odor.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
As posted previously we have NEVER used chemicals. Never felt the need and have envirnmental concerns as well. Previous poster mentioned wanting waste to break down quicker. I had the unpleasand experience of having to empty my black tank into buckets to dump at home after a two day outing with five people. I was surprised how quickly the waste broke down on it's ownusing no cgems. Save your money. Save the envirnment. Water only. Try it and see
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
+1 (more) for Water.

My experience is much like others have stated - chemicals aren't really necessary if you have a tank washer (i installed some TORNADO Tank Flushers ) & use a lot less water cleaning/flushing our tanks now.

IMO the chemicals are only masking the odor at best....and the odor is non-existant in our coach.
The only time we've ever experienced any odor issues is when we've been "curb side" at my MIL's for 6 weeks and the tank got VERY full...and even then the only sign of odor was when we drove down the road to a rest area to dump the tank.

I installed a tank washer on each tank & a couple of QD (quick disconnects) connections that were easily accessible....i carry a short length of hose w/ the matching QD fitting - my short length of hose has an on off valve on it - just connect the hose to the water supply and let it run for a couple of minutes.

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Water, water, more water. That's pretty much it.

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Cheapest, smelliest laundry detergent (whatever's on sale), and Borax (about a cup of each) in the black tank. That and plenty of water. My modification of the "geo" method, which I believe has been discussed on this forum before.
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use Hydrogen Hydroxide (HOH) or if you wish to simplify H2O Yes, that is WATER.

Found the chemicals do not do much for the black tank.. Found the black tank is not as stinky as most feel it is (Gray however is another story) Best thing is to keep the dump valves closed till time to dump. The real stink is in the ground and if you leave the valve open it can come up to annoy you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Happy Camper!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I use a combination of the small bottles and the water softener/Dawn detergent mix. When I dump, I flush the black tank thoroughly using the built in flush connection. Then, once empty, I mix two gallons of water softener/Dawn with hot water and put that in the toilet and flush. I also put one small bottle of the toilet chem in and let it do its thing. I use Calgon lavender-scented water softener....makes the coach smell nice. No black tank sulfur smell, (sensors don't work, but they never have), and everything that comes out when I dump the next time is liquid. Maybe a bit more work up front, but I plan to keep my RV a long time and I feel like a little bit of work along the way is worth it.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------