cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black tank overflowed, figure out how

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
First, you're going to love this post because you get to tell me how stupid I was to rent out our beloved 27' Gulfstream Conquest class C, 2004.

There's also a mystery and whoever can solve it before the insurance adjuster gets to it wins a valuable prize*!

Here are the facts: I emptied both waste tanks, had my repair guy install a new valve on the black tank (old was was hard to move), filled fresh tank & sent off my renters to...a cold place.

RV came from Alaskan dealer via CO, we've never had anything on it freeze.

They're doing a 4 day trip in a rural mountainous location, visiting family & parking in the yard (their trip plan).

I showed them where the waste tank drains were, assured them that the gauges aren't trustworthy, and let them know that a gray tank overflow comes out in the shower but I don't expect them to experience that condition. If they do, they should let water out until it doesn't slosh over the edge then dump at first opportunity.

When I got the camper back, they told me that the black tank valve had frozen shut and they had overfilled it. As in, I opened the potty & there was sewage to the edge of the bowl.

The overflow had clearly ended up on the bathroom floor, based on odor (distinctive blend of sewage & tank deodorizer, like an un-serviced port-a-potty, you just wrinkled your nose because you know that smell).

Now the floor in the bathroom plus the 2 panels in front of the bathroom door are garbage--if you stand on that area, your feet sink 1cm into the substance that was formerly subfloor. Like, I left prints in the linoleum just now.

I've already called the insurance company, and my repair guy says it's totalled.

What possible explanation is there for HOW 2 people could, in 4 days, overflow a black tank? I'm reeling from the prospect that our camper is trash & would be less concerned about meeting w/adjuster if I had some type of credible story about how such an outcome could occur.

*The prize is, you get a free night in the next RV we rent out!
30 REPLIES 30

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
In reply to the questions:

Yes, I used a sharing site with a long, good reputation to rent it out & of course they require insurance for exactly this type of problem.

There were 2 apparently responsible adults in this group; I picked them up at the airport, and they assured me that they knew how to use the toilet.

I suspect that, rather than simply turning off the pump and opening the valves up for the night, they decided to 'protect my plumbing' by dripping the faucets. And thus good intentions went awry.

I'll follow up once I hear from the adjuster, but I strongly suspect that it is going to be totalled.

Someone should definitely salvage & rebuild, but that's not in my 2019 plans so...good opportunity to get meticulously maintained vehicle in need of new interior, I'll let you know more when I do.

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
If you have to do that to make money from a 15 year old rig, you shouldnโ€™t own one.

Thanks for your valuable input on my finances. I'm betting you are over 65 & my taxes pay for your medical coverage. So it's important to me to earn enough, even in really tough years, to make sure you can see a doctor when something happens. Brutal, but honest.

(There is no reason to be obnoxious & rude to strangers. Ever. Except if they ask for it.)

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Was there a child along that may have left the sink running?

OR, they knew it was going to be below freezing outside, so they decided to keep a water tap running overnight so the shore water line would not freeze.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Just another reason to never rent out your rig.

In todayโ€™s society? Are you kidding?

If you have to do that to make money from a 15 year old rig, you shouldnโ€™t own one.

Brutal, but honest. Just sayin. Hope you had Insurance on it for rentals!
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Was there a child along that may have left the sink running?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's really nothing to figure out. They didn't care what they were doing and filled it until it wouldn't take anymore. No mistery at all.

A while back someone posted about a similar occurance where a toilet had overflowed into the rig. The ins. company totalled it because there's no economical way to clean it and ensure toxic mold wont grow.

IF you told your ins. co. you were renting it out and paid the appropriate fee's, it should be covered. If you didn't, they probably wont pay (and rightly so).

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
PonyGrrl wrote:
I've already called the insurance company, and my repair guy says it's totalled.

What possible explanation is there for HOW 2 people could, in 4 days, overflow a black tank? I'm reeling from the prospect that our camper is trash & would be less concerned about meeting w/adjuster if I had some type of credible story about how such an outcome could occur.

Was your insurance company okay with you renting your RV? Did you need a commercial policy?

As you now know, many people are hogs. Especially if they rent something. It's not their property so they don't take care of it.. Even family. At least they brought it back and it didn't have to be towed back from hundreds of miles away.
Keep us updated and let us know if it is totaled.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to tell your insurance company you rented it out:(
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
"There is also a marine toilet and lavatory that empties to a Black Water Tank"-page 30, owners' manual.

I'm going to emphasize this for future searchers of this forum.

Black water tank drains bathroom sink in 2005 Gulfstream Conquest class c

I think this is an expensive way to find out things we didn't know about our RV.

Thanks, all.

PS learn from my mistakes, making your own costs real money

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
But it's your RV so you should know if bathroom sink drains to black tank or not

...is that info potentially available online? Because I don't know.

Additional fact that makes this the likely solution: The stopper to the sink had been removed from the drain & was laying on the counter when I got the keys back. I've never done that & never seen it done, but I wonder if they noticed the problem there.

Holy ****. (You saw what I did there...)

I'm gonna go ahead & award the prize of 1 free night of the next RV we offer for rent. You won! Sad to say, it's not happening in your lifetime or mine...but thank you.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Grey tank got filled and so they tried to open and partially drain it by opening the grey and black valves and equalizing the tanks. with the cap still on the pipe, and did this a couple times with a full kitchen sink the last time that caused the final overflow when it was tried.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvard wrote:
The bathroom vanity in some RVs empty into the black tank.
I like this answer best.

But the other answer is entertaining.

I would never rent our motor home. I won't even loan it to close family. Adding freezing temperatures is 10x trouble.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Black tank dump valve frozen shut.....
Toilet ball valve did not fully close...water valve continued to flow.

OR as suggested...
Bathroom sink drains to black tank and faucet was left running when using sink...washing hands, washing face, brushing teeth etc.
LOTS of water usage when faucet is left on

But it's your RV so you should know if bathroom sink drains to black tank or not
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
The bathroom vanity in some RVs empty into the black tank.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
MobileBasset wrote:
The renters used it as a relief shed for all their friends at an outdoor concert. Only drunken revelers would let that happen..

We have a Winner... Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

:S