cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank smell in coach

What_s_Next_
Explorer
Explorer
I have had our coach for 7 years now and every once in a while while driving I get a really bad smell coming into the coach. It smells like the black tank is venting into the coach. The weird thing is it doest smell bad in the bathroom. I always flush out the tanks really well and add chemicals to the black and gray tanks. Any help is appreciated.
35 REPLIES 35

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
If the smell is THAT bad, then before you start checking all those valves, traps, and seals -- nuke the gray & black tanks with bleach.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Celtic_Heart
Explorer
Explorer
What's Next?
I used to have the same issue with our coach when we first purchased it. If you have a washer/dryer in your coach (like we do) you may discover the smell is coming from the p-trap for the appliance. The W/D is probably the least used appliance/plumbing fixture in the coach so I make a point of running a wash cycle through it when we we're set up at a park. If your coach sits for a long period (especially in CA) chances are the water in that p-trap has evaporated - we're in Orange Co. This resolved the problem for us - hope this helps.
Safe travels,
Paddy Drumm
Paddy & Sheila
2006 Mandalay, Bath & 1/2
400HP Cummins ISL
Towing a Saturn Vue
Ready Brute

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Does your coach sit a long time in between trips? I had the bathroom sink p-trap dry out and whew it let in black tank smell. Took me awhile before I figured that one out!

p-traps can dry out letting smell into the coach. Especially in warm weather states. When I traveled to Florida that bathroom sink trap would dry out real quick.

Also sometimes the gray tank can smell just as bad as the black. Check all the sinks AND the shower and pour water down them to fill the p-traps.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Wolfe10. Link below has a picture of what you're looking for.

Studor or air admittance valve

It will be on top of a vertical pipe near the sink plumbing. Buy a spare as they are cheap.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
What's Next? wrote:
I have had our coach for 7 years now and every once in a while while driving I get a really bad smell coming into the coach. It smells like the black tank is venting into the coach. The weird thing is it doest smell bad in the bathroom. I always flush out the tanks really well and add chemicals to the black and gray tanks. Any help is appreciated.

Use a lot of water and dump often and in which case, chemicals aren't needed. Like 4 days tops with two people. Most likely it's air down drafting through the vent pipe and in stubborn cases, it's often been found that the vent pipe was installed all the way to the bottom of the tank, rather than near the top. Some have installed electric exhaust fans on the roof, but not sure of the results.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Check under the sinks. There is a check valve that can develop a brittle rubber gasket. Replacements are under $10 at box stores.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/