Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bouncing Bounder!

tres_perros
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks

I have becoming more aware of how my 39N Fleetwood Bounder (2006 / 20K miles) is riding, after several road trips, before the long haul..

This time down to the Keys... The MH feels like shes all over the road with bouncing and doesnt ride much better than the 92 YJ with oversize tires I tow. Small changes in pavement conditions are very noticeable as well as the feeling I am sliding, particularily on curves at a cautious speed below speed limit...

The sensations are a combination of driving a Jeep and being in two boats at once, power and sail.

My tire pressure is at 110-115 for front end according to chart, got good air pressures 125 plus...

Rig has air bag shocks? as well as shock absorber on rear side.

Any recommendations on what I should inspect, check or modify would be welcome... additonally where would you bring the unit... an rv dealer or truck repair center?

Best regards
Thanks in advance!

Keith
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
tres perros wrote:
Hi Yall...

Went to the scales today,and got the rig weighed... 8460 # front, 16000 # aft (duals)... Checked my Good year tires 275/70R 22.5 on their site and found out that the front rating doesnt even hit the 85 psi mark... I was running at 110 psi.

Prior to this I lowered tire pressures to 95 psi but the ride didnt change.

While sitting at a stop light for a turn, a Jeep suv passes thru light at about 45 -50 and causes this 24,460# Bounder to rock from the air pluse...

Think I need some new shocks first...

Keith

Our rig rocks when something goes by while sitting still, but not when underway and even the big trucks don't bother it when we're moving. I can sometimes feel them going by, but that's about it.
Not something I'd be concerned with and doubt seriously if new shocks would make any difference in that regard.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ljhl
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an '06 Bounder Diesel 38N new in late 2005. I can remember that after I had it weighed at the corners, I ran 85 psi in the front tires and 95 psi in the rears. I felt that my Bounder rode and handled just fine and really enjoyed driving it.
2007 Dutch Star 4023
Subaru Forester Toad
A mutt named Arvee

tres_perros
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Yall...

Went to the scales today,and got the rig weighed... 8460 # front, 16000 # aft (duals)... Checked my Good year tires 275/70R 22.5 on their site and found out that the front rating doesnt even hit the 85 psi mark... I was running at 110 psi.

Prior to this I lowered tire pressures to 95 psi but the ride didnt change.

While sitting at a stop light for a turn, a Jeep suv passes thru light at about 45 -50 and causes this 24,460# Bounder to rock from the air pluse...

Think I need some new shocks first...

Keith

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 39N, so it has an air suspension. I would check the airbags on the suspension, see if they are actually airing up. An easy way to tell is, let the air out, after the air is out, measure the wheel wheels all the way around, ground to the top of the wheel well lip. Then air them up, and remeasure, you should see a few inches difference. There should also be a sticker from Fleetwood behind the drivers seat on the wall. Look for the psi on it for the front tires, your fronts seem high, should be around 95-105.

EDIT: Added what to measure, I goofed it up the first time ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

tres_perros
Explorer
Explorer
All your replies are well appreciated and has opened my "eyes"... going to start off with taking the rig to the scales, get the data and drop the pressures according to the Goodyear recommendations...

After this, we can look deeper....again much appreciated and will post results!

Keith

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
My Expedition DP has leaf springs up front and when the shocks go....its Katy bar the door. Its first indication is porpoising on bridges and dips in the highway. It becomes more and more violent. Seems like they go nearly all at once without any warning.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
That is quite a bit of air pressure in the steer tires.

I vote for adjusting your tire air pressure based upon weight before you do anything else.

Also an alignment is an inexpensive and good thing to do.

My bet is that she will ride like a dream and you will not have to do anything else.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 39s Discovery I believe built on the same freightliner chassis you have. Your issues a identicle to what I experienced when I first bought my unit used with 28000 miles on it.
Do the following:
Replace all shocks with Koni FSD shocks, about $800 installed.
Install the steering stabilizer from Steersafe of Demming NM. About $400.
Have an alignment done.
Make sure your tires are at least 275 size and inflate to about 95PSI cold.

I did all of these and the coach is now well behaved and can be driven all day with one hand.My current odometer reading is 73000 miles.

Bob

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
tres perros wrote:
Hi Folks

I have becoming more aware of how my 39N Fleetwood Bounder (2006 / 20K miles) is riding, after several road trips, before the long haul..

This time down to the Keys... The MH feels like shes all over the road with bouncing and doesnt ride much better than the 92 YJ with oversize tires I tow. Small changes in pavement conditions are very noticeable as well as the feeling I am sliding, particularily on curves at a cautious speed below speed limit...

The sensations are a combination of driving a Jeep and being in two boats at once, power and sail.

My tire pressure is at 110-115 for front end according to chart, got good air pressures 125 plus...

Rig has air bag shocks? as well as shock absorber on rear side.

Any recommendations on what I should inspect, check or modify would be welcome... additonally where would you bring the unit... an rv dealer or truck repair center?

Best regards
Thanks in advance!

Keith

I assume we're talking a gas pulling Ford or Chevy and not a Diesel Pusher here, even though 39ft is suspicious of the latter. Not sure what you mean by air bag shocks or a one sided shock absorber. Factory front air bags would indicate a WH P chassis, which I think they quit making in 05, so.... There are aftermarket bags available for the rear in any year however.
Soooooo, what chassis do you have and what does it say on your steering wheel, so that your questions can be better answered. Just a suggestion, but making your rig part of your signature is a good way not having to do that each and every time you post.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is alot of air pressure! What brand, load range and size are the tires? What does the rig weigh? Should do four corner.
What kind of air bags? Front?
What chassis?
I would be checking these things my self.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker