cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Caliper Kit

Britches
Explorer
Explorer
My 1988 Ford E-350 motor home the left front brake started leaking brake fluid. Appears to be the caliper seal I know nothing about brakes, so I am wondering if a Caliper Kit would repair this problem. Any person with experience in brakes your thoughts would be helpful.
11 REPLIES 11

Britches
Explorer
Explorer
My original post was asking about experience in caliper kits. I travel with my dog I do not have any family and would not endanger myself, dog or anyone else. I just wanted some info on the seals that are worn. I thank you all and my motor home will be getting new brakes by a experienced person. thank you all again.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some calipers are actually assembled with pressure on both halves, as in a vice grip and I have seen a lot of leaking calipers, not at the piston but the area where the two halves meet, I would never recommend rebuilt calipers, specially if one of my family is going to be in that vehicle if, what is the price of a loved ones life?

navegator

Britches
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input. Motor home is going in for new brakes.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would love to know the story behind the original post
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done a lot of brake work on my cars over the years, and have rebuilt plenty of drum brake cylinders. Caliper rebuilding is a level up from that. Spend the money for a rebuilt caliper, and save the potential grief.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ MID - what was the outcome in New Castle?^^^
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do them both and replace the rubber hose too, they rot. not a hard job ,get a frienf to help. that has done some brakes, IF the rotors are scared> change them.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Britches wrote:
Only question I still have is do you recommend ever a caliper kit

Yes, recommend in terms of having done a few caliper rebuilds (hold onto that word, "rebuild") for myself, and considered doing that on a recent problem but got remanufactured (notice, different word) instead.

Rebuild: I clean the Caliper and Piston up as well as I can. Most important parts to clean are

1. The Caliper Bore AND the grooves that hold the Square Cross Section O-Ring that holds the pressure and the surface the Dust Seal presses into. New O-Ring and Seal from Kit

2. The Surface of the Piston where it passes through the Square Section O-Ring and of course anything keeping it from sliding freely in the Bore.

Remanufacture: Sandblasted Caliper with O-Ring and Seal mounting areas professionally inspected and cleaned/surfaced. New soft parts as above plus NEW Piston, new bleeder screw and new sealing washers (threads and surfaces cleaned and inspected)

They aren't hard to do but there are tricks and associated risks removing and installing the Piston even if Caliper and Piston are both good.

I paid a mechanic to rebuild a pair of front calipers. Installed and one leaked, big time. Dismantled and found one of the Square Rings cut in two places. That's right, came out in two pieces. That doesn't seal very well. Bought a kit and installed it myself. There you have my training in caliper rebuilds. I think I rebuilt one other pair because the kits were available and reman calipers were not.

Can you do it and will it work? Yes and Probably.

Worth the time and risk? Probably not, and No.

TIP: Replace (or rebuild if you decide to) BOTH Front Calipers and replace both Front Brake Hoses.

TIP: Be sure the Caliper Slide hardware and surfaces are clean and lubed with High Temp Lubricant. Auto supply has in little ketchup packs. Get the kind for ceramic pads even if you aren't using ceramic.

OH... Keep track of Left and Right. Calipers and Hoses are probably different per side.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Britches
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for taking the time to explain, I know that you are right. Only question I still have is do you recommend ever a caliper kit

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
I am a shade tree mechanic and have pulled, rebuilt, and installed new pads on 4 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and 6 older cars (1968-1995) before I got hurt and cannot do that kind of work anymore.

Now with that said, you could purchase all the necessary tools to do the job yourself, but you admit to knowing nothing about brakes. So my recommendation is to take it to a qualified mechanic shop to have it fixed. In my experience, trying to fix only one side leads to problems. You have to do both sides, install new pads, turn the rotors, and re-pack the wheel bearings.

If you persist in trying to do this your self, just purchase new calipers instead of trying to rebuild them. They are more complicated than the old slave cylinders of drum brakes. The new calipers should have new pads installed already so you have the complete package. Then all you need to do is pull the rotors and get them turned, repack the front bearings, install new bearing seals, and put everything back together. You should plan on a whole week for this process as shops that turn rotors do them in the order received and if they are good, it could be several days before they get to yours.

Good luck with your decision and choose to be safe and not cheap.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would you chance the rebuild?
Easier to replace the calipers for about $65.00 each
what is your time worth.
The rebuild kit SHOULD take care of the leak unless the piston is scored BUT a rebuilt WILL fix the problem
Traveling with my best friend my wife!