cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakdown & Towing

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sunday night while on our way home from Cobourg Beach, check engine light comes on while on Highway 401. Immediately the truck goes into some kind of limp mode. No cruise or A/C. Lights and 4-way flashers on without the switches being on. The engine was running fine and all gauges were normal, so after pulling over briefly at a rest stop, I continued homeward and parked in my storage lot. Now the RV won't start (or even turn over). Rather than send a mobile mechanic to look at it, the Freightliner dealer wants to tow it as it's still covered under the chassis factory warranty for towing.

I'm less than thrilled with this plan. What are the chances they're going to get my RV to the shop without damage? Of course they insist all will be fine, but I have my doubts. With such a long rear overhang, how could they possibly lift the front axle and not make the rear end drag?

Anyone with experience having your RV towed? How did it turn out? In 10 years with my previous Class C RV, we never had need to tow it.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428
11 REPLIES 11

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
That's right Stefonius. The only thing that failed was a $700 computer module.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
FMCA #F413428

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Sooboy wrote:
To close the loop on this, our Embark was towed without incident on Wednesday. The issues we experienced were due to a failed Bulkhead Module which had failed. Hopefully this is just an anomaly rather than a sign of things to come.

Next time the check engine light illuminates, I'll certainly make every effort to drive it straight to the shop so I can avoid a tow!
40 years ago, there was no magic box under the dashboard that could fail and stop your vehicle from making it home. Ahh, progress!
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
To close the loop on this, our Embark was towed without incident on Wednesday. The issues we experienced were due to a failed Bulkhead Module which had failed. Hopefully this is just an anomaly rather than a sign of things to come.

Next time the check engine light illuminates, I'll certainly make every effort to drive it straight to the shop so I can avoid a tow!
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
FMCA #F413428

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Stefonius. That is exactly the plan.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
FMCA #F413428

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest doing a thorough photo/video documentation of the current condition of the coach, all the way around, inside, outside, above and below prior to the arrival of the tow truck. You may also wish to document the hookup and the truck and driver. That way, if your coach arrives in less-than-pristine condition at the Freightliner dealership, you can prove that it wasn't that way when the towing company picked it up.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
Update - We are still waiting for the tow. Originally they were coming for 8AM, however the latest update is that they are now coming at 11AM. When they get here, we'll just let them do their job and take photos as they do so.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
FMCA #F413428

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Look at this way, they break it they fix it....but tow companies tow stuff like this everyday all day. Yeah, now and then you will get a dufus coming out, so be there and if it don't look right, ask.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It wasn't too long ago where one of our members posted pictures of his coach being torn apart by an incompetent towing company. I believe the towing company's insurance was going to take care of the repairs, but that is beside the point.
That said, I have seen many many more RV's being towed than I have seen on lowboys. If the guy knows what he is doing, any RV can be safely towed. Depending on where you are at, and the availability of equipment, you may have to go along with what Freighliner decides. After all, they are the ones taking full liability for the tow once they show up. Let them do their job.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My manual says specifically, the coach is to be towed on a low boy. Personally, unless in an emergency situation, it's the ONLY way I would allow my coach to be towed....JMO, YMMV.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
We had an earlier coach towed. Removed drive shaft strapped and chained it down and away it went. If you have one of those shiny mud flaps across the rear remove that also as it will no longer be shiny if you don't. Good Luck Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Sooboy-

I believe they have a tow truck with a flat bed so the rear of your baby will not be dragging down the road.:W
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab