cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,715 REPLIES 1,715

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
in April I rented a 19ft Class C from Cruise Am and knew I wanted to be a full time RVer the first night I slept in it.
If you buy one from them, they will credit you for any rentals from them.
So I too have been looking at used Class B+ or Class C units.
I found 19ft too small for living in full time, particularly as I had to climb up to the overcab bed (might be OK now but not when I'm 80!)
I'm looking at about 22-25ft long units that have bed on main level and feel spacious but I don't want slideouts.
I like the style of the class B+ but they are considerably more expensive and it's difficult to find used ones.
My biggest question is for any Canadians. Have you bought an RV in the US? If so, how costly is it to bring across the border? Given the low $Can, it may not save any money to buy one in US.
I was thinking of getting one in Alberta as they have no federal sales tax and Calgary is RV heaven for those looking for one.
After reading several messages, I'm looking at post rentals from Canadream which seems like a very good company.
Also appreciate any advice re paying more for a newer one or less for an older one. The decision seems rather daunting. I hope to have one by the end of Sept.
RV living, here I come!
Maria

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
samven1 wrote:
I have been looking for a used C or B+ for about a year now. I dont have any experience with MH but have put more than a few miles on a travel trailer. The trailer was fine as long as there were 2 of us but now that I am alone I worry about the times we got into tight spaces with 45 ft of hinged vehicle and 1 person would not have been able to get it out. So that gets me to my point and question, I am interested in a smaller unit like the 23A or similar and am wondering if the big three will let you rent the unit you are interested in and give you a credit if you buy that unit. It seems like it would be a good way to check out weather I could handle it and learn about any problems with the MH at the same time.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
jetmechtm wrote:
I am giving serious thought to buying a Majestic 23a and would like to know if anyone has added an additional house battery to one and how much trouble was it if so. I would also add solar for recharging. Any suggestions?

As far as battery goes see: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27623106/gotomsg/27623202.cfm#27623202
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

jetmechtm
Explorer
Explorer
I am giving serious thought to buying a Majestic 23a and would like to know if anyone has added an additional house battery to one and how much trouble was it if so. I would also add solar for recharging. Any suggestions?

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
The carrier weights 80 lbs and the bike is 302 lbs wet so a total of 382 lbs. It is what they call a dual sport which looks like a dirt bike with all the lights and plated for road. I originally bought it for exploring gravel and country roads that I did not want to take the pickup truck down because I can pickup the back end and turn it in its own footprint. I always liked having a backup vehicle when I went into areas were there was poor cell service or looked deserted. As long as I can put a class 3 or 4 hitch on SAFELY I can just add airbags to the rear suspension to take care of sag. I just need to be sure that I dont get too close to GVWR. I always like to leave a good margin of safety and most salespeople will tell you what ever it takes to make the sale.
My apologize to honest, well meaning salesman.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Thor Four Winds 5000 21A way back in the mid nineties that had a similar floor plan to the 23A, just a little shorter, and no swivel chair. It weighed around 9,000# and was about 22' long. I currently have a 97 Coachmen 22RK that is 24' long and weighs around ~ 9,600# I believe (it's not at my house right now). I found both those motor homes to be able to go just about anywhere (I'm not talking off roading/boondocking)a car can go vehicles. I never needed a toad with either one. The 22'er was actually my daily driver for almost 10 years, while the 24'er was a daily driver for about a year.
That 23A is probably around 9,500# or so, and also about 24' long. I don't know what your KLR250 weighs, but it could be an issue mounted on a carrier.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone, this was a faster response than I expected. All very good info. I am retired now and want to just do some leisurely travel without worrying about reservations. I was surprised to see that CA will refund up to $3000 in rental if you buy within 6 months.
I really like the 23a floor plan, mostly because I want a real mattress and the swivel chair looks infinitely more comfortable than most of the dinette seating. I am thinking of putting a motorcycle carrier on the back to take my KLR250 along for the roads I dont want to go down with the MH. Does anyone have real world numbers on the weight on these rentals. I know in the trailer world the manufactures numbers are not even close so if anyone has put theirs on the scales.
Sam

path1
Explorer
Explorer
samven1 wrote:
I have been looking for a used C or B+ for about a year now. I dont have any experience with MH but have put more than a few miles on a travel trailer. The trailer was fine as long as there were 2 of us but now that I am alone I worry about the times we got into tight spaces with 45 ft of hinged vehicle and 1 person would not have been able to get it out. So that gets me to my point and question, I am interested in a smaller unit like the 23A or similar and am wondering if the big three will let you rent the unit you are interested in and give you a credit if you buy that unit. It seems like it would be a good way to check out weather I could handle it and learn about any problems with the MH at the same time.

Cruise America used to have a program (during winter when sales are slow???) that rental price would be deducted from purchase price. Don't know if still going. From their cite...
Traveling through Arizona? Motorhomes are the way to go! Unlike some RV dealers, Phoenix-based Cruise America allows you to try before you buy.
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/destinations/rv-dealers-phoenix.aspx

I would sent Corp at message and ask them.

IMO just like buying anything used, not all are the same. When we were looking to buy we went back 3 times when "new" units came in sales guy called us and we went to inspect them and found one that passed our inspection. Saw a couple units that had been abused and saw couple that looked to be perfect.

(edit part) answer to "try before you buy" in above post.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
samven1 wrote:
I am interested in a smaller unit like the 23A or similar and am wondering if the big three will let you rent the unit you are interested in and give you a credit if you buy that unit.

I just found this on Cruise America's site. Check out the 6th question.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

path1
Explorer
Explorer
joelcop wrote:
path1 wrote:
joelcop wrote:
I would like to jump in for a few questions.
Do the rental companies drop prices significantly after the season?
How much bargaining room is there on the rental company asking price?

As far as I know bargaining room with Cruise America atleast us anyways (maybe other places or people might be different) didn't budge any on prices, but would added an awning and replaced a/c (that was acting up) with new one.

That was over 5 years now. Still have unit and still like it. And would buy again.

Did they actually throw in the awning or just discount it?

No discount on the price, they installed an awning and didn't raise price.

I worry about the times we got into tight spaces with 45 ft of hinged vehicle and 1 person would not have been able to get it out

We went from 37 ft 5th wheel to 23 steps bumper to bumper. So much more enjoyable IMO. Fits almost anywhere. No longer worry about "will it fit" at campgrounds. And now enjoy getting to the end of logging road and boondocking.

No longer have to make reservations at places that only have a couple long spaces but have many small campsites. But everything has it plus and minuses. Can no longer just throw something in because we might use it. You'll run out of room quick. That was hardest part for us. Bringing only what we need. And have to dump more often.

We no longer travel with reservations. When we get near a place we want to stop we call them and see if any openings. If no openings just call another.

Retired and traveling on your own schedule and where you want to go is so enjoyable!

Popular places or 3 day weekends and when school is out and closer to metro areas we are a little bit more cautious. But those are few for us. Have only been "caught" without a campsite twice. Both times in middle of summer and on weekend near metro area. One time we spent the night at a rest area and one night at boat ramp parking lot.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
joelcop wrote:
path1 wrote:
joelcop wrote:

Don't know about seasons that prices drop. As far as bargaining room Cruise America atleast us anyways (maybe other places or people might be different) didn't budge any on prices, but would added an awning and replaced a/c (that was acting up) with new one.

That was over 5 years now. Still have unit and still like it. And would buy again.

No discount on the price, they installed an awning and didn't raise price.

joelcop
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
joelcop wrote:

Don't know about seasons that prices drop. As far as bargaining room Cruise America atleast us anyways (maybe other places or people might be different) didn't budge any on prices, but would added an awning and replaced a/c (that was acting up) with new one.

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Sam

path1
Explorer
Explorer
joelcop wrote:

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelcop wrote:

There is some depending on the company, I found that Cruise America would try and get you to look at older and higher mileage ones. A sort of take it of leave it attitude.

Where as others like where I bought mine were open to negotiating, it never hurts to try. I did and got a good deal.

Do your research so you know what the market is for the RV that you are looking for.
adlereins wrote:
I'm back. I got my Tioga back from El Monte RV and here is what they did. Removed, balanced and re-installed complete drive shaft (little over $400), removed and repaired frame on jack knife sofa (was bent), repaired kitchen faucet leak, replaced water pump with new one, installed new rubber grommets on stove grate, replaced reefer shelf and filled gas tank!!
That's it for now and any questions about El Monte RV or a high mileage rental purchase, just let me know.
Take Care,
Al

That is good to hear Al it looks like that they took care of you just as they said they would.
I found another person that had good luck with El Monte RV and their Warranty, they seem to come thru. Click here for that thread
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C